Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 72

Thread: Repacking LDH

  1. #41
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bryn Athyn, Pa.
    Posts
    1,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Got any COAL left? Oats? Hehe T.C.
    You should have been at the Maryland Fire Museum, first Sunday in May. Could have had all you could want. They just need to be sure to get bituminous coal, not anthracite like they did a couple of years ago.


  2. #42
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    You should have been at the Maryland Fire Museum, first Sunday in May. Could have had all you could want. They just need to be sure to get bituminous coal, not anthracite like they did a couple of years ago.
    One of the best days I ever had with my clothing ON. This is an 1893 ALF pumping into a 1903 Hale Water Tower.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  3. #43
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bryn Athyn, Pa.
    Posts
    1,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    One of the best days I ever had with my clothing ON. This is an 1893 ALF pumping into a 1903 Hale Water Tower.
    Post the video!

  4. #44
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1 View Post
    on a more serious note .....last night we did our annual hose testing..and repacked as MG indicated ........oh my ............it went back in much better and left us more room in the bed.........sometimes you CAN learn something after 24 years if ya shut up and pay some attention. THANKS for the GREAT idea !
    Sweet. Glad it helped. A picture is worth a thousand words I guess!

    Switch to double jacket National Supply Hose (Triple Duty) and you'll probably be able to fit almost 1/3 to double as much hose in the bed!!

  5. #45
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Ok, first off thanks for the help on this issue. My department completed our 5.0 " LDH hose testing this weekend. We tried the examples that everyone listed and things went pretty smooth. We did have one question that came up.
    I understand the concept of all the couplings at the front of the hosebed. The issue came up that as you place the next layer of hose in the bed, do you pull it all the way forward over the couplings to the front of the hosebed or do you keep this fold back approx 2-3 feet from the front (or just to the rear of all the couplings)?

  6. #46
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bryn Athyn, Pa.
    Posts
    1,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taskforce16 View Post
    Ok, first off thanks for the help on this issue. My department completed our 5.0 " LDH hose testing this weekend. We tried the examples that everyone listed and things went pretty smooth. We did have one question that came up.
    I understand the concept of all the couplings at the front of the hosebed. The issue came up that as you place the next layer of hose in the bed, do you pull it all the way forward over the couplings to the front of the hosebed or do you keep this fold back approx 2-3 feet from the front (or just to the rear of all the couplings)?
    Hose folds go behind the couplings - we use 18" or so. If you pile folds on top of the couplings the forward part of the pile becomes too high. You defeat one of the purposes of a coupling forward pack - to be able to get more hose in the bed.

  7. #47
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    Hose folds go behind the couplings - we use 18" or so. If you pile folds on top of the couplings the forward part of the pile becomes too high. You defeat one of the purposes of a coupling forward pack - to be able to get more hose in the bed.
    Chief engineer 11, thanks for the clairification. That makes sense. Just a matter of teaching old dogs new tricks.

  8. #48
    Forum Member CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,227

    Default

    With a Quint the couplings should go in the trough and the hose, itself, under the aerial.

    This way the coupling does not and will not have to make the turn to exit the apparatus, but will play out the chute.



    .
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  9. #49
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northeast Coast
    Posts
    3,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    With a Quint the couplings should go in the trough and the hose, itself, under the aerial.

    This way the coupling does not and will not have to make the turn to exit the apparatus, but will play out the chute.



    .
    Would it not appear that every one of those couplings will "flip up" when pulled? We normally try to manipulate the hose in the bed to ensure the couplings don't "flip up", just in case.

  10. #50
    Forum Member CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Would it not appear that every one of those couplings will "flip up" when pulled? We normally try to manipulate the hose in the bed to ensure the couplings don't "flip up", just in case.
    Not flip, but turn when their turn, no pun intended, come up for leaving the bed.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  11. #51
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Would it not appear that every one of those couplings will "flip up" when pulled? We normally try to manipulate the hose in the bed to ensure the couplings don't "flip up", just in case.
    To expand on what the captain said. They do not flip up they turn 90 degrees to come out of the shoot. Whilie i understand that putting the coupling inline with the shoot for the hose seems logical. It presents a few problems.

    1) we carry 1000' of 4 inch. In the space where the couplings are if the couplings are inline with the shoot you can only fit 4-5 coupling on the bottom layer. That requires you to put a 2nd layer of couplings. Which in turn makes it very difficult to handjack a line from the supply bed.
    2) having a 2nd layer means that the hose will get caught on each other. I.E. the hose coming down of the main hose bed catching on the couplings.
    3) the 2nd layer puts the hose to high to effectivly come out of the shoot. and can catch on top of the shoot.

    What is not shown in the picture is the last section of hose is flat laid on top of the couplings. Meaning 900' in the hose bed and then 100' inline with the shoot. The last 30 ft or so is triple folded and wrapped with a strap (for warpping a hydrant). This enables you to quickly pull for when you are handjacking a line or catching a hydrant that requires more then 30' to wrap because of parked cars, trees, or a hydrant set back from the corner on a cross street etc.

  12. #52
    Forum Member CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,227

    Default

    Would this be the either one??
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  13. #53
    MembersZone Subscriber LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,924

    Default

    To add another, THANKS guys. I have not used a lot of LDH before, and what we did came to us on reel trucks. As we have started using 5" lately, this is invaluable.

  14. #54
    MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    781

    Default

    captoldtimer:
    do you have a short video of loading the 5" in the shoot. that would be amazing if you did.

    also, does the flat laying on the hose from front to back cause any snagging when deploying each layer over the last? (from what i can gather, start with the coupling in the trough and then load it layer by layer front to back just like a regular flat load but 90 degrees to the shoot.)

    how much more hose do you think is added versus just standard flat loading?
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

  15. #55
    Forum Member CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
    captoldtimer:
    do you have a short video of loading the 5" in the shoot. that would be amazing if you did.

    also, does the flat laying on the hose from front to back cause any snagging when deploying each layer over the last? (from what i can gather, start with the coupling in the trough and then load it layer by layer front to back just like a regular flat load but 90 degrees to the shoot.)

    how much more hose do you think is added versus just standard flat loading?

    I don't think I do, but I may have photos of some more of the packing of it.

    Send me a pm with a good email and I'll round them up and post them to you.

    It doesn't snag but lays in the bed and plays out great.

    What the photo shows the complete load will be 1000 feet.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  16. #56
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,395

    Default

    I have an excellent solution for the hose-packing problem on the queernt- get rid of the pump and hose. All problems go away.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  17. #57
    Forum Member Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I have an excellent solution for the hose-packing problem on the queernt- get rid of the pump and hose. All problems go away.
    Odd. We DON'T have any problems with OURS. Must be bad specs on the others. T.C.

  18. #58
    Forum Member footrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Porterdale, GA
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Get rid of the chute, and pack it like a regular 5" hose bed. Solves that problem.

  19. #59
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by footrat View Post
    Get rid of the chute, and pack it like a regular 5" hose bed. Solves that problem.
    Odd I didnt think we had a problem.

    Whats the problem?

    The hose comes off several times a day just fine with this set up.

  20. #60
    Forum Member edge1317's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    379

    Default

    No fans of the accordian lay around here?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Grant Info for Large Diameter Hose
    By brvolk in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-15-2006, 03:24 PM
  2. Water Thiefs and LDH Manifolds
    By 42VTExplorer in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-25-2004, 12:13 AM
  3. Pumping LDH
    By WBFD324 in forum The Engineer
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 05:13 PM
  4. Ldh
    By firemanjmp80 in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-19-2004, 10:38 PM
  5. LDH planning and usage - longlay
    By neiowa in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-20-2003, 10:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts