Thread: Repacking LDH

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Would it not appear that every one of those couplings will "flip up" when pulled? We normally try to manipulate the hose in the bed to ensure the couplings don't "flip up", just in case.
    To expand on what the captain said. They do not flip up they turn 90 degrees to come out of the shoot. Whilie i understand that putting the coupling inline with the shoot for the hose seems logical. It presents a few problems.

1) we carry 1000' of 4 inch. In the space where the couplings are if the couplings are inline with the shoot you can only fit 4-5 coupling on the bottom layer. That requires you to put a 2nd layer of couplings. Which in turn makes it very difficult to handjack a line from the supply bed.
    2) having a 2nd layer means that the hose will get caught on each other. I.E. the hose coming down of the main hose bed catching on the couplings.
    3) the 2nd layer puts the hose to high to effectivly come out of the shoot. and can catch on top of the shoot.

What is not shown in the picture is the last section of hose is flat laid on top of the couplings. Meaning 900' in the hose bed and then 100' inline with the shoot. The last 30 ft or so is triple folded and wrapped with a strap (for warpping a hydrant). This enables you to quickly pull for when you are handjacking a line or catching a hydrant that requires more then 30' to wrap because of parked cars, trees, or a hydrant set back from the corner on a cross street etc.

Forum Member

Would this be the either one??
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

To add another, THANKS guys. I have not used a lot of LDH before, and what we did came to us on reel trucks. As we have started using 5" lately, this is invaluable.

MembersZone Subscriber

captoldtimer:
    do you have a short video of loading the 5" in the shoot. that would be amazing if you did.

also, does the flat laying on the hose from front to back cause any snagging when deploying each layer over the last? (from what i can gather, start with the coupling in the trough and then load it layer by layer front to back just like a regular flat load but 90 degrees to the shoot.)

how much more hose do you think is added versus just standard flat loading?
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
    captoldtimer:
    do you have a short video of loading the 5" in the shoot. that would be amazing if you did.

also, does the flat laying on the hose from front to back cause any snagging when deploying each layer over the last? (from what i can gather, start with the coupling in the trough and then load it layer by layer front to back just like a regular flat load but 90 degrees to the shoot.)

how much more hose do you think is added versus just standard flat loading?

I don't think I do, but I may have photos of some more of the packing of it.

Send me a pm with a good email and I'll round them up and post them to you.

It doesn't snag but lays in the bed and plays out great.

What the photo shows the complete load will be 1000 feet.

Forum Member

I have an excellent solution for the hose-packing problem on the queernt- get rid of the pump and hose. All problems go away.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I have an excellent solution for the hose-packing problem on the queernt- get rid of the pump and hose. All problems go away.
    Odd. We DON'T have any problems with OURS. Must be bad specs on the others. T.C.

Forum Member

Get rid of the chute, and pack it like a regular 5" hose bed. Solves that problem.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by footrat View Post
    Get rid of the chute, and pack it like a regular 5" hose bed. Solves that problem.
    Odd I didnt think we had a problem.

Whats the problem?

The hose comes off several times a day just fine with this set up.

Forum Member

No fans of the accordian lay around here?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by edge1317 View Post
    No manufacturer of LDH that I am aware of recommends that LDH be loaded in an accordian load. The idea is that impacting that weight on the narrow edge of the hose prematurely wears, or damages, the hose.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Who said anything about accordian lay for LDH, anyhow?

We still pack some 2-1/2 in accordian on special type units.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    No manufacturer of LDH that I am aware of recommends that LDH be loaded in an accordian load. The idea is that impacting that weight on the narrow edge of the hose prematurely wears, or damages, the hose.
    Hmm, last department bedded accordian. Never noticed any wear on the edge. You do have a point though, is there any warning against loading it like this from manufacturers or seen examples of damage? Our accordian load payed out nicely, was very uniform and less of a risk of unintentional deployment since accordian loads will expand slightly...

Forum Member

Hmm, last department bedded accordian. Never noticed any wear on the edge. You do have a point though, is there any warning against loading it like this from manufacturers or seen examples of damage? Our accordian load payed out nicely, was very uniform and less of a risk of unintentional deployment since accordian loads will expand slightly...
    I have a video from I believe Snap-Tite made several years ago on use of LDH and in the video they recommend flat loading it due to the abrasion and possible damage from the edge striking the road.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

I have a video from I believe Snap-Tite made several years ago on use of LDH and in the video they recommend flat loading it due to the abrasion and possible damage from the edge striking the road.
    Guess I'll mention it to them next time I talk to someone up there, doubt they would even consider it though. As for damage from striking the road, I'd go as far as saying that it is just a likely or even less likely to be damaged as a flat lay. The edge doesn't contact the road, you'd pull off the LDH at the beginning of the lay and it pays off VERY smoothly and takes the quarter twist to lay on the ground before contacting the ground. Where with the flat lay you sometimes get the kind of jerking/slapping motion when pulling each length out.

Forum Member

Our Hose wagon is accordian load of 3000ft of 5". Three layers of 1000ft. The hosebed is 8' wide so that seems to be the most efficient use of the space. Positive is that the hose makes only a nice smooth 90degree "turn" as it is laid rather than a 180 degree "snap".

I can't see that laying LDH at 15mph you can predict in what orientation the hose hits the ground. Or that it matters. Comes of the back of the truck an gravity and many other variables take if downward nearly 100% of the time.

Forum Member

Heck guys, don't get all bent out of shape at me over it. I merely posted what I was told by LDH manufacturers and what the video I had said.

I didn't tell anyone to change anything and how you load your hose has zero effect on me.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Heck guys, don't get all bent out of shape at me over it. I merely posted what I was told by LDH manufacturers and what the video I had said.

I didn't tell anyone to change anything and how you load your hose has zero effect on me.
    Just out of morbid curiosity...how did any of them get bent out of shape? You brought up a point, and they brought up counterpoints.

Discussion.

MembersZone Subscriber

Same here, I was under the impression that the LDH manufacturers all stated no edge loading. My thought is that it has more to do with riding on its edges 90% of the time, not an issue of being laid. Wouldn't change a thing here due to our beds. Not to mention hose bed size really is about cubic feet, I doubt edge loads can be as efficient as flat loads that use the hose weight to compress the load?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    And I bet no one here except maybe some of the older guys who are located within close proximity to the Philadelphia area even know what Jones Snap couplings are...............
    And many of our companies still carry some jones snap couplings.

Forum Member

I'm not bent out of shape, just discussing it and sharing my views. Felt it was good discussion, gave me something to share with my old dept. so that even if they don't change their load they can keep an eye out to see if there is any abnormal wear.

Forum Member

I'm not bent out of shape, just discussing it and sharing my views. Felt it was good discussion, gave me something to share with my old dept. so that even if they don't change their load they can keep an eye out to see if there is any abnormal wear.
    We're cool. I could have phrased that better. I didn't mean to get all up in your grill!
    Maybe it's not too late

Thread Information