Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Genesis Cutter

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Genesis Cutter

We are in the process of buying new extrication equipment. Genesis has the C236 cutter with standard blade or with titanium inserts. Has anyone had any bad luck with the inserts? I heard that the inserts could loosen and "bind" the tool when being operated. Is there any truth to that?

Quote Originally Posted by WeidFire17 View Post
    We are in the process of buying new extrication equipment. Genesis has the C236 cutter with standard blade or with titanium inserts. Has anyone had any bad luck with the inserts? I heard that the inserts could loosen and "bind" the tool when being operated. Is there any truth to that?
    We have the C236 without inserts. I haven't met anything they can't cut through. I love em.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

The inserts barely hit the streets yet and the competition is already bad mouthing it??? I think Genesis has an innovative idea with replaceable inserts. If it doesn't work, revert back to the old faithful blades.

MembersZone Subscriber

Have not used the inserts yet but we have had good luck with the C-236. Cut a new mini-van about six months ago no difficulty. We recently purchased an All-9 cutter but have not used it on anything to test it. It's pretty heavy and is hard to get into hinges.

Quote Originally Posted by sfdtruck1medic View Post
    We recently purchased an All-9 cutter but have not used it on anything to test it. It's pretty heavy and is hard to get into hinges.
    I really want to get my hands on an ALL-9. If what I hear from some other guys is true, I'll want one by the time I'm done with it. ** I did hear however, like you mentioned, that it is pretty hard to get into tight areas.... but there are ways around that
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default C-236

Hey,

Here is the NFPA testing results from the C-236. You may have them already but I thought I would pass them along in case you didn't.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by backsteprescue123 View Post
    I really want to get my hands on an ALL-9. If what I hear from some other guys is true, I'll want one by the time I'm done with it. ** I did hear however, like you mentioned, that it is pretty hard to get into tight areas.... but there are ways around that
    You can change the blades on it to make it a 330 something. This will reduce the NFPA testing some but it will get into the hinges a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by sfdtruck1medic View Post
    You can change the blades on it to make it a 330 something. This will reduce the NFPA testing some but it will get into the hinges a lot better.
    Nfpa "testing" is OK for comparison purposes but NO where near representative of what we cut in the street. I put LITTLE faith in the nfpa numbers, but that's just me. T.c.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Nfpa "testing" is OK for comparison purposes but NO where near representative of what we cut in the street. I put LITTLE faith in the nfpa numbers, but that's just me. T.c.
    If it's any help to you, in my experience, Genesis tools are VERY reliable, easy to use, very ergonomic, and the newer cutters go through most anything. Most of the problems I've seen with them were minor, and you can tell when the cutters are starting to need retorqueing. I haven't seen any catastrophic failures due to the quality of the tools.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    If it's any help to you, in my experience, Genesis tools are VERY reliable, easy to use, very ergonomic, and the newer cutters go through most anything. Most of the problems I've seen with them were minor, and you can tell when the cutters are starting to need retorqueing. I haven't seen any catastrophic failures due to the quality of the tools.
    I'm pretty familiar with the Genesis system. I PERSONALLY don't care for them,I don't like the push button controls in particular. Make no mistake,they are a good tool,I just like a couple other brands BETTER. TO DATE,I haven't had any vehicle I couldn't get into using anybodies tool and adjusting tactics to that tool. Up here it's mostly Amkus and holmatro with a few Genesis thrown in. We took another direction and I have NO complaints with our new tool set. Study the HISTORY of the top tool builders,you'll come up with some very interesting information.Look at what Nfpa is bench cutting and let me know how that applies to WRECK rescue,I think you'll see what I'm alluding to. I've been around vehicles and a Fab shop for over 50 years,you learn a little about metalworks if you pay just a LITTLE attention. The Nfpa is trying and it's as close a guide as is available. But it has LIMITED application in Real world Street application. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I'm pretty familiar with the Genesis system. I PERSONALLY don't care for them,I don't like the push button controls in particular. Make no mistake,they are a good tool,I just like a couple other brands BETTER. TO DATE,I haven't had any vehicle I couldn't get into using anybodies tool and adjusting tactics to that tool. Up here it's mostly Amkus and holmatro with a few Genesis thrown in. We took another direction and I have NO complaints with our new tool set. Study the HISTORY of the top tool builders,you'll come up with some very interesting information.Look at what Nfpa is bench cutting and let me know how that applies to WRECK rescue,I think you'll see what I'm alluding to. I've been around vehicles and a Fab shop for over 50 years,you learn a little about metalworks if you pay just a LITTLE attention. The Nfpa is trying and it's as close a guide as is available. But it has LIMITED application in Real world Street application. T.C.
    One of the reasons Genesis is so big around here is custormer service. If yours tools go down for any reason they will have you a replacement within 24 hrs, (usually 12) and you have it until they bring yours back to the station. The dealer is close to us and that obviously is a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    One of the reasons Genesis is so big around here is custormer service. If yours tools go down for any reason they will have you a replacement within 24 hrs, (usually 12) and you have it until they bring yours back to the station. The dealer is close to us and that obviously is a factor.
    Written into EVERY one of our Rescue tool specs and part of our current agreement. Like I said,they are a nice tool. And service is a BIG
    factor in our evaluations. You can get good service on any of the top names here. T.C.

Thread Information