Thread: Dash cf

Forum Member

Thumbs up Dash cf

If you haven't seen this cab yet and are in the market for new apparatus, you need to check it out.

This is the roomiest cab I have ever seen. And it's not real big in overall exterior size. Pierce has done a remarkable job streamling the powerplant between the frame rails, and lowering to shorten the engine hump. This was a Cummins powerplant. Reportedly the DD option is considerable larger and does reduce cabin space. The space between the engineer and officer is wide open, the engine hump is low enough to accomodate turnouts or EMS cabinets, and it's east to talk among riders due to the wide open space and soundproofing.

I know E-One and some others are countering the Dash CF, and if successful this is a good trend in fire apparatus design. The Dash cab and PUC combo is going to be very successful.

Keep in mind Saulsbury was making very spacious pump-under-cab engines in the mid-1990's. They may have been forward thinking but some tech issues supposedly plagued those engines. It's good to see their ideas moving forward 15 years later with better technology.

Forum Member

and young was doing it the the 80's

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffp20 View Post
    and young was doing it the the 80's
    Everyone was building cab-forward apparatus in the 80's....and the 70's....and some in the 60's and 50's for that matter.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Didn't some obscure company called something like "American La France" design the 700, 800, 900, and maybe the 1000 series pumpers? The 700 Series started in 1947 or so. Then some other guys from Seagrave and Pirsch followed ALF. Then there were all those pesky Macks running around going to fires. I suspect some of the people that spent years desiging the new CF weren't alive when these rigs were on the street. So when you fall head over heels about the "new" design remember that even excellent marketing doesn't change history.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim54 View Post
    So when you fall head over heels about the "new" design remember that even excellent marketing doesn't change history.
    Tell that to a certain Mfr who's name rhymes with "Fierce" and may or may not be located in Appleton, Wi.

Forum Member

Default Cab Forward

Good points - cab forward is certainly not a new concept, but I have never seen a power plant this compact and LOW in the frame, and done so by not raising cab height. Pierce maybe didn't originate the idea but they have done it better than any others I have seen. Can't speak for Young - before my time! However, ALF pumpers all had huge motor boxes between the jump seats. I have cooked in those seats over many summers!!

Forum Member

Not to mention the 8-10 man cab rear engine E-One Hush pumpers from the 90s.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

I saw it at FDIC and really wasn't too impressed. In my opinion the men in back need the room. Not the driver. The driver shouldnt have his pants on anyways and if you are cramped in the driver's seat of your current rig in just your duty uniform maybe its time for a diet.

We have our fair share of big corn fed boys and no real complaints as far as space for the driver.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by backsteprescue123 View Post
    I saw it at FDIC and really wasn't too impressed. In my opinion the men in back need the room. Not the driver. The driver shouldnt have his pants on anyways and if you are cramped in the driver's seat of your current rig in just your duty uniform maybe its time for a diet.

We have our fair share of big corn fed boys and no real complaints as far as space for the driver.
    Gosh, is your FD's SOGs for what a driver wears the law of the land? In my career FD, if we are responding to a FIRE call, the driver, by SOG, wears his bunker pants.

I would love to have you come out and tell some of our Captains, that complain about the cramped officer's seat in our new Pierce engine, that they are fat. Please, please do, I would enjoy that conversation very much.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I would love to have you come out and tell some of our Captains, that complain about the cramped officer's seat in our new Pierce engine, that they are fat. Please, please do, I would enjoy that conversation very much.
    I'm with you on that. Even in the Quantum I boss at work, with the lowest doghouse available in a Pierce product (aside from the Dash CF), I still have to search for places to put my gear on an EMS run. I would be nice not to have 3/4 of the officer's floorboard not taken up with my turnout pants and boots.

I'd say that 50% of my guys will drive to fires with their turnout pants on.

As for the idea of the engine in the rear, it's obviously not a "new" idea, as the other posters have mentioned. However, there are a lot of technological differences, such as the lower doghouse in the rear, easier maintenance (pad-mounted alternators; all filters mounted in one location), more legroom for the officer, larger windshield than previously offered, etc. It's not like they just re-introduced a 1987 Arrow, and called it "all new!"
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Gosh, is your FD's SOGs for what a driver wears the law of the land? In my career FD, if we are responding to a FIRE call, the driver, by SOG, wears his bunker pants.

Sorry didn't mean for it to sound like I meant it that way, just throwing my 2 cents in. When Im driving I rarely even end up putting my pants on when we get on scene unless I'm going to be throwing ladders, etc.

I'm no small guy but the officers seat on our new engine doesn't really bother me all that much. As long as I have my pants on before leaving I'm alright.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Sounds an awful lot like the features of my 2010 E-One Quest engine.

but I'm sure Pierce invented something new....again.....
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

In my career FD, if we are responding to a FIRE call, the driver, by SOG, wears his bunker pants.
    What do they do if they have to wear size 13W bunker boots (like me) and have to drive a 1980s to 1990's-vintage Grumman or HME chassis vehicle and the accellerator and brake pedal are too close to one another and the 13W bunker boot press both pedals at the same time????

Forum Member

Our last round of Pierce engines were Contenders and they are the most space lacking fire engines I have ever seen. In the front or the back. The new E-Ones we have are much more room friendly.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Talking This is funny

Quote Originally Posted by 16Scott View Post
    This is the roomiest cab I have ever seen. And it's not real big in overall exterior size. Pierce has done a remarkable job streamling the powerplant between the frame rails, and lowering to shorten the engine hump. This was a Cummins powerplant. Reportedly the DD option is considerable larger and does reduce cabin space. The space between the engineer and officer is wide open, the engine hump is low enough to accomodate turnouts or EMS cabinets, and it's east to talk among riders due to the wide open space and soundproofing.
    And now we know just how many people can fit in the Dash CF.......check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/user/piercemfg

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    What do they do if they have to wear size 13W bunker boots (like me) and have to drive a 1980s to 1990's-vintage Grumman or HME chassis vehicle and the accellerator and brake pedal are too close to one another and the 13W buarently because nker boot press both pedals at the same time????

No Grummans, but we do have 2 late 90's vintage HME chassis and apparently our guys have figured out how to make it work.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rmcatee1 View Post
    And now we know just how many people can fit in the Dash CF.......check this out:

business must be really slow there.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rmcatee1 View Post

That video alone would make me not want to buy a Pierce.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

Talking

How many ricky retards can you stuff in a phone booth????????

Exactly what was this supposed to show as to the quality of a piece of fire apparatus?

I can remember participating in stuffing 15 individuals into a 1962 Volkswagen beetle back in my younger years on a bet that might have included some adult beverages.
    Last edited by islandfire03; 09-09-2011 at 06:20 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    How many ricky retards can you stuff in a phone booth????????

Exactly what was this supposed to show as to the quality of a piece of fire apparatus?

I can remember participating in stuffing 15 individuals into a 1962 Volkswagen beetle back in my younger years on a bet that might have included some adult beverages.
    Lighten up Francis! I think this was just suppose to be something funny. Enjoy it for what it is.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default CF Design a Huge Disappointment

Just checked-out the CF cab at the Wildwood show. Very disappointed in the jumpseat area and the huge hump between the firefighters in the back of the cab. Yes the open front and very low cab steps are very nice, but who wants an engine hump in the back of their cab where firefighters have to safely exit the cab with airpaks and equipment on? We are looking elsewhere.

Forum Member

Captain 7 - I thought the same thing. I was also turned off that the oil-pan sat less then a foot off the ground. All it needs is a bad pot hole in you're in trouble.

You know what cabs surprised me for room and durability... The Sutphens. I always thought they were tight but I guess they re-engineered some things.

Thread Information