Thread: Dash cf

  1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    56

    Thumbs up Dash cf

    If you haven't seen this cab yet and are in the market for new apparatus, you need to check it out.

    This is the roomiest cab I have ever seen. And it's not real big in overall exterior size. Pierce has done a remarkable job streamling the powerplant between the frame rails, and lowering to shorten the engine hump. This was a Cummins powerplant. Reportedly the DD option is considerable larger and does reduce cabin space. The space between the engineer and officer is wide open, the engine hump is low enough to accomodate turnouts or EMS cabinets, and it's east to talk among riders due to the wide open space and soundproofing.

    I know E-One and some others are countering the Dash CF, and if successful this is a good trend in fire apparatus design. The Dash cab and PUC combo is going to be very successful.

    Keep in mind Saulsbury was making very spacious pump-under-cab engines in the mid-1990's. They may have been forward thinking but some tech issues supposedly plagued those engines. It's good to see their ideas moving forward 15 years later with better technology.

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    165

    Default

    and young was doing it the the 80's

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffp20 View Post
    and young was doing it the the 80's
    Everyone was building cab-forward apparatus in the 80's....and the 70's....and some in the 60's and 50's for that matter.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Didn't some obscure company called something like "American La France" design the 700, 800, 900, and maybe the 1000 series pumpers? The 700 Series started in 1947 or so. Then some other guys from Seagrave and Pirsch followed ALF. Then there were all those pesky Macks running around going to fires. I suspect some of the people that spent years desiging the new CF weren't alive when these rigs were on the street. So when you fall head over heels about the "new" design remember that even excellent marketing doesn't change history.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigjim54 View Post
    So when you fall head over heels about the "new" design remember that even excellent marketing doesn't change history.
    Tell that to a certain Mfr who's name rhymes with "Fierce" and may or may not be located in Appleton, Wi.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    56

    Default Cab Forward

    Good points - cab forward is certainly not a new concept, but I have never seen a power plant this compact and LOW in the frame, and done so by not raising cab height. Pierce maybe didn't originate the idea but they have done it better than any others I have seen. Can't speak for Young - before my time! However, ALF pumpers all had huge motor boxes between the jump seats. I have cooked in those seats over many summers!!

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,059

    Default

    Not to mention the 8-10 man cab rear engine E-One Hush pumpers from the 90s.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    I saw it at FDIC and really wasn't too impressed. In my opinion the men in back need the room. Not the driver. The driver shouldnt have his pants on anyways and if you are cramped in the driver's seat of your current rig in just your duty uniform maybe its time for a diet.

    We have our fair share of big corn fed boys and no real complaints as far as space for the driver.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by backsteprescue123 View Post
    I saw it at FDIC and really wasn't too impressed. In my opinion the men in back need the room. Not the driver. The driver shouldnt have his pants on anyways and if you are cramped in the driver's seat of your current rig in just your duty uniform maybe its time for a diet.

    We have our fair share of big corn fed boys and no real complaints as far as space for the driver.
    Gosh, is your FD's SOGs for what a driver wears the law of the land? In my career FD, if we are responding to a FIRE call, the driver, by SOG, wears his bunker pants.

    I would love to have you come out and tell some of our Captains, that complain about the cramped officer's seat in our new Pierce engine, that they are fat. Please, please do, I would enjoy that conversation very much.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  10. #10
    Let's talk fire trucks!
    BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I would love to have you come out and tell some of our Captains, that complain about the cramped officer's seat in our new Pierce engine, that they are fat. Please, please do, I would enjoy that conversation very much.
    I'm with you on that. Even in the Quantum I boss at work, with the lowest doghouse available in a Pierce product (aside from the Dash CF), I still have to search for places to put my gear on an EMS run. I would be nice not to have 3/4 of the officer's floorboard not taken up with my turnout pants and boots.

    I'd say that 50% of my guys will drive to fires with their turnout pants on.

    As for the idea of the engine in the rear, it's obviously not a "new" idea, as the other posters have mentioned. However, there are a lot of technological differences, such as the lower doghouse in the rear, easier maintenance (pad-mounted alternators; all filters mounted in one location), more legroom for the officer, larger windshield than previously offered, etc. It's not like they just re-introduced a 1987 Arrow, and called it "all new!"
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Gosh, is your FD's SOGs for what a driver wears the law of the land? In my career FD, if we are responding to a FIRE call, the driver, by SOG, wears his bunker pants.

    I would love to have you come out and tell some of our Captains, that complain about the cramped officer's seat in our new Pierce engine, that they are fat. Please, please do, I would enjoy that conversation very much.
    Sorry didn't mean for it to sound like I meant it that way, just throwing my 2 cents in. When Im driving I rarely even end up putting my pants on when we get on scene unless I'm going to be throwing ladders, etc.

    I'm no small guy but the officers seat on our new engine doesn't really bother me all that much. As long as I have my pants on before leaving I'm alright.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,676

    Default

    Sounds an awful lot like the features of my 2010 E-One Quest engine.


    but I'm sure Pierce invented something new....again.....
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    In my career FD, if we are responding to a FIRE call, the driver, by SOG, wears his bunker pants.
    What do they do if they have to wear size 13W bunker boots (like me) and have to drive a 1980s to 1990's-vintage Grumman or HME chassis vehicle and the accellerator and brake pedal are too close to one another and the 13W bunker boot press both pedals at the same time????
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Gosh, is your FD's SOGs for what a driver wears the law of the land? In my career FD, if we are responding to a FIRE call, the driver, by SOG, wears his bunker pants.

    I would love to have you come out and tell some of our Captains, that complain about the cramped officer's seat in our new Pierce engine, that they are fat. Please, please do, I would enjoy that conversation very much.
    Our last round of Pierce engines were Contenders and they are the most space lacking fire engines I have ever seen. In the front or the back. The new E-Ones we have are much more room friendly.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    119

    Talking This is funny

    Quote Originally Posted by 16Scott View Post
    This is the roomiest cab I have ever seen. And it's not real big in overall exterior size. Pierce has done a remarkable job streamling the powerplant between the frame rails, and lowering to shorten the engine hump. This was a Cummins powerplant. Reportedly the DD option is considerable larger and does reduce cabin space. The space between the engineer and officer is wide open, the engine hump is low enough to accomodate turnouts or EMS cabinets, and it's east to talk among riders due to the wide open space and soundproofing.
    And now we know just how many people can fit in the Dash CF.......check this out:

    http://www.youtube.com/user/piercemfg

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    What do they do if they have to wear size 13W bunker boots (like me) and have to drive a 1980s to 1990's-vintage Grumman or HME chassis vehicle and the accellerator and brake pedal are too close to one another and the 13W buarently because nker boot press both pedals at the same time????

    No Grummans, but we do have 2 late 90's vintage HME chassis and apparently our guys have figured out how to make it work.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmcatee1 View Post
    And now we know just how many people can fit in the Dash CF.......check this out:

    http://www.youtube.com/user/piercemfg
    business must be really slow there.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmcatee1 View Post
    And now we know just how many people can fit in the Dash CF.......check this out:

    http://www.youtube.com/user/piercemfg
    That video alone would make me not want to buy a Pierce.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    islandfire03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,586

    Talking

    How many ricky retards can you stuff in a phone booth????????

    Exactly what was this supposed to show as to the quality of a piece of fire apparatus?

    I can remember participating in stuffing 15 individuals into a 1962 Volkswagen beetle back in my younger years on a bet that might have included some adult beverages.
    Last edited by islandfire03; 09-09-2011 at 06:20 PM.

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    How many ricky retards can you stuff in a phone booth????????

    Exactly what was this supposed to show as to the quality of a piece of fire apparatus?

    I can remember participating in stuffing 15 individuals into a 1962 Volkswagen beetle back in my younger years on a bet that might have included some adult beverages.
    Lighten up Francis! I think this was just suppose to be something funny. Enjoy it for what it is.

  21. #21
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    92

    Default CF Design a Huge Disappointment

    Just checked-out the CF cab at the Wildwood show. Very disappointed in the jumpseat area and the huge hump between the firefighters in the back of the cab. Yes the open front and very low cab steps are very nice, but who wants an engine hump in the back of their cab where firefighters have to safely exit the cab with airpaks and equipment on? We are looking elsewhere.

  22. #22
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Captain 7 - I thought the same thing. I was also turned off that the oil-pan sat less then a foot off the ground. All it needs is a bad pot hole in you're in trouble.

    You know what cabs surprised me for room and durability... The Sutphens. I always thought they were tight but I guess they re-engineered some things.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question about Whelen Dash King Dash Light
    By ReScUe141x in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-24-2007, 10:55 AM
  2. Cutting 'A' post with combi tool for dash roll
    By HYTHE FIRE DEPARTMENT in forum University of Extrication
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-06-2000, 09:49 PM
  3. Dash Roll
    By sullivan3 in forum University of Extrication
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-29-2000, 10:28 PM
  4. Modified Dash Roll/Jacking
    By rshaw in forum University of Extrication
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-1999, 11:07 PM
  5. Moving the Dash on a Volvo?
    By rmoore in forum University of Extrication
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-1999, 04:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register