Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Value/need for an old Sutphen MM platform

I am looking to see if I could find the value/use/need of an old platform aerial.

If memory is correct, it is a 1987 100' MM Platform. It used to be a quint, with a pump and water tank. I don't know when exactly it happened, but they pulled the pump and filled the tank with concrete (to keep the center of gravity and stability).

It has passed a third party aerial inspection, and is useable as a front line piece. Problem is, it is a dog. It cannot get its self out of its own way, much less, pass a Yugo downhill.

I'm wondering if a FD would be interested in it, or a private party. If neither happens, what would you think the value of it would be. I am somewhat interested in buying it myself, and going through it for parade purposes.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    I am looking to see if I could find the value/use/need of an old platform aerial.

If memory is correct, it is a 1987 100' MM Platform. It used to be a quint, with a pump and water tank. I don't know when exactly it happened, but they pulled the pump and filled the tank with concrete (to keep the center of gravity and stability).

It has passed a third party aerial inspection, and is useable as a front line piece. Problem is, it is a dog. It cannot get its self out of its own way, much less, pass a Yugo downhill.

I'm wondering if a FD would be interested in it, or a private party. If neither happens, what would you think the value of it would be. I am somewhat interested in buying it myself, and going through it for parade purposes.

FM1
    You might find a fire department somewhere that would want it, but the only value is whatever someone's willing to pay for it. I doubt if that would be very much. Whoever has it might jump at $1,000, or they might turn their nose up at it.

Did I mYbe see that truck?

Why is it so slow? Does it have a McLean version of a 6-71 or something like that? Or does it have too few numbers in the rear?

I have seen many old aerials in use by tree trimming companies, advertising companies, sign companies (for hanging billboards)

Keep your eye on eBay and govdeals.com to see what aerials are bringing for price.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

FM1
    I don't know much about the program, but perhaps Sutphen would be interested in it. They re-harvest older aerials, and a 1987 isn't that old in the Sutphen scheme of things. Perhaps it would be of some value to them to refurb/remount/rechassis, whatever. Certainly more than $1,000 I would think.

Is the body stainless?
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Talking

pricing on trucks of that age range from 5k -30 k asking price on a well known used apparatus website.

It's probably a dog because of the concrete filled water tank.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    pricing on trucks of that age range from 5k -30 k asking price on a well known used apparatus website.

It's probably a dog because of the concrete filled water tank.
    Asking price is one thing. What they actually wind up selling for is very much another.

Forum Member

Default Sutphen Tower

With the pump pulled and tank filled, your best bet is to contact Sutphen Service to see if they are interested in the aerial for harvest or a private buyer.

Yeah Sam, you've seen it at the "shop". It is a dog because of the 6-71 engine.

Depending on how they are going to get rid of it, I already told the "foam", that I'm going to go in for $1,500, no more.

I'll have to check into the Sutphen thing, and see what all it entails. Thanks for that info.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Yeah Sam, you've seen it at the "shop". It is a dog because of the 6-71 engine.

Depending on how they are going to get rid of it, I already told the "foam", that I'm going to go in for $1,500, no more.

I'll have to check into the Sutphen thing, and see what all it entails. Thanks for that info.

FM1
    Concrete anywhere is over $100 a yard. Tank must have about three or four yards in it. Selling that will recoup at least $300 right.

Oh the tank don't forget to charge for that as long as it isn't rusted out.

Thread Information