MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ferrara Idles up and down while in pump gear

I need some help here. We have a 2005 Ferrara Custom Cab with a Hale 1250 gpm. When we were attempting to put the pump in gear to test hose the truck idled up and down while in pump gear. The vaccum was showing -20 while on tank water. Other members said it has done this before and you had to completly shut down the truck and start over. We will be calling the manufacturer come Tuesday. Any ideas what is causing this? As electronic throttle and and controls.

Forum Member

Default Ferrara Idles up and down while in pump gear

Is your pump governor-equipped? This sounds like some problems we periodically encounter with the Class 1 Captain governor. It could be a malfunctioning control box or it could possibly need proper programming.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not to sound like a dumbass but I'm not sure. I havent operated this truck a whole lot. It is at my vol. dept. I run a engine at my career and never had anything like this happen to me. The old Assistant Chief said they had to return everything to default. Not sure what he is talking about. I guess on the pump panel.

Forum Member

Talking

by shutting off the truck and powering down the unit , you are manually rebooting the computer.
    There are many sensors and imputs that could cause this problem. Remember all modern throttles are fly by wire and controlled by multiple imputs.
    Time to get a qualified service technician with his laptop to take a look at it and query the PCM.

MembersZone Subscriber

That's what I'm thinking. I went through all of the steps.

Shift to neutral
    Apply brake
    shift to pump gear
    put in drive
    Pull tank to pump
    Charge Line
    Throttle up

It then idles up and down not sure on the rpm
    Vacuum shows negative on tank water anywhere from -10 to -30 which isn't right. I haven't flowed off of a hydrant yet to see what it does.

Forum Member

If your apparatus is Governor equipped, shutting the apparatus completely down and powering off all systems allow the governor to reboot and default back to the RPM mode or Pressure mode (depends on default programing). If you are running off of your booster tank there is a possibility the Pressure Governor is going into the Cavitation mode and trying to compensate for the lack of pressure. The next time it happens I would look at the mode in which the pressure governor is in, if it is in pressure look at your intake pressure, if it is in the prefect atmosphere an in the psi mode this may be your problem. Or you may have a bad sensor.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEEATERFF View Post
    That's what I'm thinking. I went through all of the steps.

Vacuum shows negative on tank water anywhere from -10 to -30 which isn't right. I haven't flowed off of a hydrant yet to see what it does.
    Here's a major clue. First off, your vacuum reading from tank should be minimal - zero, actually. The tank is at essentially the same level as the pump, actually, a little above it. So water should just flow into it. There shouldn't be any negative pressure at all. Are you sure you're not looking at a restriction of some sort in the tank to pump line? Wouldn't be the first time that something was left in a tank during manufacturing only to work its way into the plumbing or even the pump later in life. Or something found its way into a tank somewhere along the line. It could well be that the throttle system is doing just what it's being told to do by the conditions that it sees.

Forum Member

make sure the tank to pump valve is fully open, if theres rubber connectors in the tank to pump line, make sure the rubber isnt collapsing when pumping that could cause a restriction. when this happens what are you trying to supply off the tank? any large devices like monitors or big lines?

MembersZone Subscriber

It does it if you try to supply a single 1 1/2" or deck gun it doesnt matter. I pulled the tank to pump all the way and used the twist lock to secure it. I guess I can open the side panel and have someone work the lever to make sure it is opening all the way. It seems like its electronic. I hate the electronic controls, I would rather have a manual throttle and all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEEATERFF View Post
    It does it if you try to supply a single 1 1/2" or deck gun it doesnt matter. I pulled the tank to pump all the way and used the twist lock to secure it. I guess I can open the side panel and have someone work the lever to make sure it is opening all the way. It seems like its electronic. I hate the electronic controls, I would rather have a manual throttle and all.
    Check for a collapsed tank to pump line.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Will do. If it keeps rainin will run down there and do it. I will update when I find out something.

Forum Member

if it seems to work fine, or better when flowing larger volumes, it may be an indication "ramp" adjustments may need to be made.

MembersZone Subscriber

Didn't have a chance to look at it yet. I believe it is going to be electronic related. If so we will have to get a tech to look at it.

Forum Member

So the compound intake guage is reading -20? Is this the standard old gauge on fire trucks or some kind of electronic reading? If it is a regular old gauge that is reading -20 then I would have reason to suspect that it is a supply issue and and not electronic problem. the reason being is the gauge is not going to be tied in with the electronic governor. So the -20 vaccum that is shown indicates a lack of water coming into the pump.

Have you tried pulling the primer when the truck is doing it with the tank to pump open?

or

pull the primer prior to flowing water. Then see if the problem continues.

Forum Member

If its a Ferrara, Does it have an Ecotech alternator? These alternators have been notorious for causing electronic glitches all over the truck. Something to look into......Were on our 3rd alternator and 3rd set off batteries since 2005 on our ferrrara.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not to mention the battery on/off switches below the seat. We've had entire trucks shut down at fires due to those little ****s. At one fire we had 3 ferrera trucks shut off while the 1980-90 mac's were still pumping strong.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Thread Information