Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Hey guys, I need help

Hey everybody, I would really appreciate some guidance right now. Im 19 years old and I just put my application in to the FDNY last month. I've been a junior firefighter for my local department for the past 4 years, so I have some good training/experience. I have my EMT certification and a few of the certs that Ohio requires. But what I am worried about the FDNY's fitness test. Im not so worried about the computer based test, but the fitness has got my mind running in circles.

I'm not really a big workout guy, I worked out in high school alot because i was on the football team but I've never gone to work out for the sole purpose of working out. I'm not that big now anymore and my endurance and stamina is pretty bad (its hard for me to go running sometimes). But since I put my app in i've been working out everyday, but heres my question(s):

What is the complete fitness test for the FDNY? What is on it?
    How should I prepare for it?
    What's the best meal's to eat for work out prep and to help me gain muscle?

I know this is a long post, but I just wanted to know what was on the fitness test and any suggestions on how to prepare for it. thanks guys!

Forum Member

Forum Member

Our facility is on Long Island (AKC Fitness LI), and is rather unique, as I don't think there's another gym in the area offering anything close to the programs we run. My staff and I have over 40 years experience training firefighters on every level, from FDNY to volunteers, from CPAT to Academy Training, and this is really what we do. Not exactly one of many, rather one of a kind. We'll answer all your questions, let you practice on the events, and teach you how to prepare. My background as an FDNY captain, owner of a Firefighter-Fitness Center, and author of The Firefighter's Workout Book, has put in me in the perfect position to help you pass.

http://www.kbmike.com/2011/08/fdny-c...urriculum.html

well I live in Ohio and I'm just a kid so i couldnt afford going out to long island for that long, thats why i just wanted to know what was on the test

Just watch some videos on youtube of what the CPAT consist of. The CPAT is easy, and very simple to simulate. The hardest thing is the stairmill. Put some weight into a backpack or two (one on back, and one on front) and walk some stairs. If you don't have stairs, find one step and do it multiple times. Do exercises to get your heart rate up.

Don't buy into these gimmicks of paying people to train you. If you were entering an MMA fight, I would definitely suggest a training. If you don't have enough self-motivation to workout yourself, you won't make it far in the fire service. You can simulate a CPAT using numerous things found in any basic gym.

Be creative, motivated, and disciplined. If you need ideas, watch youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by BennyT373 View Post
    Just watch some videos on youtube of what the CPAT consist of. The CPAT is easy, and very simple to simulate. The hardest thing is the stairmill. Put some weight into a backpack or two (one on back, and one on front) and walk some stairs. If you don't have stairs, find one step and do it multiple times. Do exercises to get your heart rate up.

Don't buy into these gimmicks of paying people to train you. If you were entering an MMA fight, I would definitely suggest a training. If you don't have enough self-motivation to workout yourself, you won't make it far in the fire service. You can simulate a CPAT using numerous things found in any basic gym.

Be creative, motivated, and disciplined. If you need ideas, watch youtube.
    okay thanks alot i appreciate it, ive been working out everyday since i put my app in, doing some running and lifting weights. i'll definitely do some simulations so as to better prepare myself

Forum Member

you might also look to see if the cpat or similar in your area, and are able to go through the test where you live, to see what it is like and get a feel for it.

yea I was going to ask my lt. tomorrow if the guys could help train me during their free time

Thread Information