Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: HOW MANY YEARS TAKE YOU TO GET HIRE AS A FULL TIME FIREFIGHTER?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-1 YEARS

6 18.75%
  • 2-3 YEARS

14 43.75%
  • 4-5 YEARS

7 21.88%
  • 5-6 YEARS

2 6.25%
  • OR I GAVE UP TRYING

3 9.38%
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Thumbs up How long did it take you to get hire?

Hi, I am embarking into this carreer and I have made research and trying to have a good understanding on what I am getting into. The only issue I found and the one is worring me the most is the employment situacion. Every body tell me dont do it there are no job, some cities are even having budget cut and hiring less firefighter. But, I have something in my heart that tell me to do it.

I would like to know how long did it take you to get hire as a full time firefighter.

Thanks!

How many of these polls are you going to put up???
    Getting hired is not set to a specific schedule and varies with each individual.
    Your BS is in Biology? I'm thankful to some extent that it was not a degree in English because your spelling, grammar and punctuation is atrocious.

Do yourself a favor and grab a study book for the GED. Many tests out there actually have questions that test those areas, and those are "gimme points".

Coming on here and asking, "How long does it take to get hired?" is subjective to each person.
    If your heart tells you to test, then do it.

Good luck!

Forum Member

As rude as FFbam is, he/she is right. It all depends on how much you are willing to put into it. Some people get hired off their first test, others take 20 or more. There are departments hiring though, especially in WA, CA, and a few other states. The average is 3-5 years from what I've heard.
    Grammer and spelling is something that you will run in to on written tests so studying that will be helpful. Also, getting your EMT asap is a must. Most departments require an EMT to even take the test. A national registry EMT cert. will qualify you for reciprocity in most states. Fire science classes are also good for smaller depts but not so important for larger ones. I say your chances are best if you get a paramedic certification because you will cut out a large percent of the competition.
    Anyhow, those a just a few nuggets that will help. Don't get discouraged by some of the *****ho!e$ on these forums that like to shoot people down. I think a lot of them are just bitter that they haven't gotten hired yet. Work really freakin hard and test a lot and you'll land the job. Good luck!

Forum Member

i hope i can be one of the lucky ones and get a job between 0-1 yrs. just gotta keep at it.. look out of state if its possible! thats what im doing

Forum Member

18 tests / 18 months.

I applied in November and went on the job in January. Two months!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I applied in November and went on the job in January. Two months!
    ^^^ back when engine companies were still steam powered.

Joking.

Quote Originally Posted by csvt18 View Post
    ^^^ back when engine companies were still steam powered.

Joking.

Yes some were the old gasoline engines ran very hot, so some did make a lot of steam. That is why the hoods were always raised and the engine coolers were turn on and functioning properly.

Back when I went on the job, departments were hiring easily and there wasn't any waiting for application periods. They hired at will, you went to a busy house and when they had enough on both shifts a drill school was conducted each day of the week you were on duty and you went back to thee house at night to finish up the tour.

Of course back then we rode minimum of 5 on an two piece Engine Company and 5 on a Truck Company. A lot of days, you had 6 members!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TruckOps84 View Post
    As rude as FFbam is, he/she is right.

FFbam is right. A lot of entry tests have grammar/spelling/punctuation questions. That appears to be something you need to focus on. No big deal. Hey I had to get a 5th grade math book to brush up on my math skills and I was 29 at the time.

-- Just over a year to get on my 1st career department. 7 months for my current one.

Forum Member

To be honest, the OP doesn't stand a chance as a FF with that spelling and grammar.

Thread Information