Forum Member

Default Communication question

We have 8 mobiles and 6 portable radios (12 years old) that will not do trunking or radio id for dispatch. I have 15 2004 portable radios we got with a grant that do both of the above but are not P25 comaptible.

We serve 2 counties and 1 of the counties disatch is going to analog UHF trunking. Both are starting to use the radio id.

Question - we absolutely need to replace the mobles and 6 portables so that we can talk to one of the dispatch centers.

But it the new radios would be P25 complaint while the other 15 are not. Would we be scored lower if I don't ask for a complete P25 solution and replace all of the radios?

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mitchkrat View Post
    We have 8 mobiles and 6 portable radios (12 years old) that will not do trunking or radio id for dispatch. I have 15 2004 portable radios we got with a grant that do both of the above but are not P25 comaptible.

We serve 2 counties and 1 of the counties disatch is going to analog UHF trunking. Both are starting to use the radio id.

Question - we absolutely need to replace the mobles and 6 portables so that we can talk to one of the dispatch centers.

But it the new radios would be P25 complaint while the other 15 are not. Would we be scored lower if I don't ask for a complete P25 solution and replace all of the radios?
    Why do they have to be p-25 compliant?

I ask this seriously as there is no mandate for them to be. The feds require you to purchase radio equipment that is in line with your states communications plan.

I would not ask to replace the 2004 radios from grant funding as they are still within their service life and function properly.

Forum Member

Default Kansas and P25

My understanding is Kansas does require P25 radios. I'm looking at a neighbors narrative that was funded last year.

So from a reviewers point of view, P25 is not required so by only aksing for the radios for our immediate need (UHF trunking, radio id, narrow band) would be optimal and score higher?

Forum Member

Does anyone know of a reputable person/group that will review narratives and suggest changes prior to me submitting my application. This is the first AFG grant I have ever done and am starting to become overwhelmed!

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mitchkrat View Post
    My understanding is Kansas does require P25 radios. I'm looking at a neighbors narrative that was funded last year.

So from a reviewers point of view, P25 is not required so by only aksing for the radios for our immediate need (UHF trunking, radio id, narrow band) would be optimal and score higher?
    What i have done and recommend is that you contact whoever is in charge of the state communications plan and have them review your grant request prior to submitting it. That way you can include in the narrative that it has been approved by the state agency.

If you are selected for award , it will go to the state office for approval when it gets to technical review and approval before the funding is assigned.

If your 2004 radios won't work on the new statewide system then you could ask for them to be replaced , but it would probably lower your score overall.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFD18 View Post
    Does anyone know of a reputable person/group that will review narratives and suggest changes prior to me submitting my application. This is the first AFG grant I have ever done and am starting to become overwhelmed!
    Little late in the game now, Kurt Bradley or Brian Vickers are your best bet but I would be surprised if either of them have time before aps close. Check in your area for someone who has been sucessful or sat for peer review then get into one of kurt or Brians classes before SAFER and FPS grant open if possible. Mark

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mwtetreault View Post
    Little late in the game now
    Thanks for stating the obvious... but as I said this is the first grant I have ever done and had no idea of what information I would need so I have been running hard to pull all of the data I need.
    I basically didn't know what I didn't know...
    Hopefully next year will be alot smoother now that I have an idea of all of the info that is required...

Thread Information