Thread: Starting out

Forum Member

Default Starting out

Good day to all!

Just tossing this out there, it's late and my mind is wandering.

I'm 26 years of age, and I have beeen in a volunteer FD for about a year now. I had never entertained the idea of becoming a fireman before, in fact I don't have some enchanting story about wanting to be one since childhood. Currently, I am a 911 operator in the town where I volunteer. I have some college education, none in fire service.

I really have become consumed with the fire service, and really long to make it a career (and not sit in an office 24.7 as I do now). I have completed the basic courses, FF1, CPR-First Aid and I am about to enroll in FF2 and Hazmat Tech Basic and EMT when the new semester starts.

I live in upstate Ny, near Albany...and I am realizing that there is very little by means of hiring going on in the immediate area and I am considering taking the NYFD exam, as I meet the (initial) criteria. I feel this might be a better chance to get some experience with the tests, and with any luck maybe even get hired.

Don't know what I was looking to accomplish with this post, but I'm just wondering if anyone has a similar situation - and how you are going about it.

Thanks to all.
    " Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong. "

Forum Member

What is "NYFD"??
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Ha, I'm pretty sure he means FDNY. Mark, you'll find it's an important distinction and one you'll want to get right to build credibility about these kind of topics. Good luck with your career search, you've just joined tens of thousands of well qualified individuals fighting for a limited number of coveted spots amongst the bravest. FDNY can be your starting place though to caution you it's kind of like saying - "I am pretty good at baseball and really love it so maybe I'll play for the Yankees". Keep getting EMS certifications up to Paramedic if you can and put in anywhere you can see yourself working.

Forum Member

Lol..thanks for the input. Yeah, stupid Iphone. Of all the words in the post, I get NYFD and not FDNY....hehe. Deserves to be thrown against the wall.
    " Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong. "

Thread Information