Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Tips for FF I&II

I am taking FF I&II this winter from January to June on top of my senior year in high school. I'm signed up for a 16 hr intro course and I've bits and pieces of in house training that is focused on FF I&II. Its upwards of 25 hours a week and is going to probably be the biggest challenge I will have undertook in high school. Any tips would be great! Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nr9306 View Post
    I am taking FF I&II this winter from January to June on top of my senior year in high school. I'm signed up for a 16 hr intro course and I've bits and pieces of in house training that is focused on FF I&II. Its upwards of 25 hours a week and is going to probably be the biggest challenge I will have undertook in high school. Any tips would be great! Thanks
    Listen to the instructor, ask sensible questions that expand your knowledge rather than try to make you look smart, and practice practice practice the skill sheets in the book.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 105 View Post
    Listen to the instructor, ask sensible questions that expand your knowledge rather than try to make you look smart, and practice practice practice the skill sheets in the book.

Good luck!
    Everything he said plus your still in high school keep up on your school work, do not let that fall behind do to you taking FF I&II.

I took FFI during my junior year of high school on top of full load of high school classes, 6 college credits, and basketball. It wasn't bad if you have background in it. Read ahead, that way the class is just a review and a clarifying tool instead of vice-a-versa. Keep up on school work, especially since its your senior year. Talk to your teachers and tell them what you are doing. In my case I had to drive 2 hours round trip 3 times a week to my classes. I would get out of school, go to practice, and then leave for class at 5 and get back around midnight. Didn't leave much time to get some of the work I needed to get done, done. I just told my teachers my situation and they were very flexible with me.

Forum Member Explorer Asst Chief Fern's Avatar

Strongly agree with what everyone else said. Also on top of that, some firefighters will tell you to sit in class and not say a word, as in, don't answer questions, try to sound smart, etc. Just make sure you put your full effort into the class. If you sit in class attentively, answer questions often (right or wrong), turn in all your work on time, and be an all-around good student your teacher will more than likely be able to recommend you for a very good job when you're done. "The worst feeling is asking a teacher to write you a letter of recommendation just to have them ask who you are." -I don't remember who said this but it is very true. Fire teachers almost always have very good connections... give them a reason to brag about you.
    Explorer Assistant Chief Alisha Fern

Leadership: The ability to guide, direct, and influence others.

Leadership can be thought of as a capacity to define oneself to others in a way that clarifies and expands a vision of the future.

alisha.fern@firehousemail.com

Thread Information