Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Can you get FF 1 & 2 without waiting?

I live in Knoxville, TN and I heard that you have to be with a FD for a year to get FF 1 and then wait another year before testing for FF 2. But I'm hearing different stories now that you don't have to wait and can do it all at once. Can someone give me the definitive answer?

MembersZone Subscriber

My guess would be that it may depend upon your state/school/certifying agency/etc. I know that my dept., we take guys who know absoulutely nothing about the fire service and in less than six months turn out someone who is EMT-B, FF1, FF2, HazMat Ops, RRT, and BVR qualified. I did all that except I only got FF1; the class a couple classes after me got the FF2 as well, and I think that is the standard for all recruits going forward.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Forum Member

Right, I'm aware of academies where you can get everything within 3-6mon. I just wonder if you can only do that if you go through an academy or if you could just take all the classes individually and still do it consecutively or if you take individual classes if you're required to spread it out.

Forum Member

http://tn.gov/commerce/sfm/commFireFighting.shtml

Look through the web site

The best info is call them direct and ask

Forum Member

Fantastic resource, thanks! I'll peruse and see if I can get an answer.

Forum Member

You can go here: http://www.trainingdivision.com/ And get an IFSAC certified program.

Forum Member

In LA, you can test for FFI as soon as you have Haz-mat Awareness and Haz-Mat Operations, which are required as prereqs.

You can test FFII the day after you receive your FFI certificate if you wish.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

If you're a volunteer in TN you have to be a firefighter for 1 year before you can take the test for FF I and then 2 years before you can take FF II I don't know if there's some other rules for career firefighters in TN.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EGregory View Post
    If you're a volunteer in TN you have to be a firefighter for 1 year before you can take the test for FF I and then 2 years before you can take FF II I don't know if there's some other rules for career firefighters in TN.
    Just out of curiousity, do you know what the thinking is behind that policy?
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Im in NY and I start ff1 training om sept. 17. I just joined my dept in april

The reasoning is so you don't just book cram before you have done any actual firefighting and pass both exams and now you are classified as a FF2 that has never actual fought fire. Then you go apply to a department and they see FF2 and think you know what you are doing.

I know around where I am at in TN we have a commission test every month or two so by the time you get done with your basic and live burn and get some hazmat in you can start taking your practicals and have it lined up so right at the year you are challenging your FF1 written. The FF2 part you are still suppose to wait the year after FF1 but there are a lot of classes you can take in between and get some more training and experience.

Thread Information