Forum Member

Default raised cab roofs, why?

We are in the very early stages of spec'ing out one, maybe two new engines. More in the talking about it stage then the writing it down if that makes sense. The sticking point is that alot of the firefighters (myself included) want a raised rear cab. The problem we have is the deputy chief that is heading up the committee saids if we want them we need to justified why we want one. So, help me out, the only thing we can come up with is a more open area in the rear to ride. Why did you guys go with the raised cabs.

Forum Member

Our dept used to have one that had a small bank of windows in the raised area. From what I've heard it was mostly used so that could get a better view of girls from inside the vehicle.

Forum Member

If trying to scrimp and save in order to afford other options that are more needed or more of a priority, then you don't need the raised roof.

I do admit, they are nice to stand up in to don your SCBA (I put my seatbelt on, and as we are riding to the scene I will put the harness on, and when we pull up I will stand up and cinch up all the straps.

It is also nice to have so that if you have compartments in the rear area, it just creates more room, instead of being super cramped. We also have our mask bags hanging from the ceiling, not to mention the A/C blower- that extra few inches makes it less cramped and claustrophobic.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    If trying to scrimp and save in order to afford other options that are more needed or more of a priority, then you don't need the raised roof.

I do admit, they are nice to stand up in to don your SCBA (I put my seatbelt on, and as we are riding to the scene I will put the harness on, and when we pull up I will stand up and cinch up all the straps.

It is also nice to have so that if you have compartments in the rear area, it just creates more room, instead of being super cramped. We also have our mask bags hanging from the ceiling, not to mention the A/C blower- that extra few inches makes it less cramped and claustrophobic.
    Depends on who you're buying the cab from. I know for certain (and I'm sure it hasn't changed in the last few months) that a ten inch raised roof is no charge over a flat roof if you're buying Spartan.

If you're going to carry helmets in the cab in approved NFPA mounts, a raised roof gives you more area to mount them. If you want to mount long handle tools inside the cab, this also gives you room to do so vertically. Overall convenience when doing truck checks, etc. is also nice as you can move about the cab easier, especially when you look at it being a no cost addition.

I say the biggest reason NOT to do it would be if it interfered with aerial operations of a mid mount swinging back over the cab, or if you have a top mount and want better visibility forward. Truthfully not sure how much difference it would make on a top mount given the length of the can anyway.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

In short, from an operational standpoint there really is no reason.

It is basically preference. Here lately I saw a Pierce Quantum that had a "vally" down the middle of the 14" raised roof that hid the light tower when it was stowed. Pretty neat, but not a must have.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

You can also get a storage compartment for some of the misc. stuff that you want to carry. EMS gear, accountability boards, battery chargers, and a whole lot of other similar things that don't take up huge amounts of room but are often after thoughts can go up there.

Forum Member

A flat top Spartan or HME will still give you more head room than flat top Pierce's of E-One's and like NFPD said no extra charge for the Spartan 10" raised.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SFD_E73_RET View Post
    and like NFPD said no extra charge for the Spartan 10" raised.
    Increased headroom, at 6'3" I find it hard jumping in and out of a flat roof cab. When a company offers a "FREE" upgrade I jump on it and of course ease of access and egress,

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Okay, the real reason most people get a raised roof cab...Because if you don't you simply aren't cool, or you aren't on the "Cutting Edge."

Now having said that there are some legitimate reasons for getting a raised roof cab. There is far more room vertically in a raised roof cab. It does allow more space for cabinets and storage. It allows more room for firefighters getting in or out, and well, let's face it, for getting dressed.

I say if you can afford it, and the rig will fit in the station, go for it. And when anyone asks why you did it...Tell them it looked cooler with the raised roof!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Okay, the real reason most people get a raised roof cab...Because if you don't you simply aren't cool, or you aren't on the "Cutting Edge."

Now having said that there are some legitimate reasons for getting a raised roof cab. There is far more room vertically in a raised roof cab. It does allow more space for cabinets and storage. It allows more room for firefighters getting in or out, and well, let's face it, for getting dressed.

I say if you can afford it, and the rig will fit in the station, go for it. And when anyone asks why you did it...Tell them it looked cooler with the raised roof!
    I remember when we got our first raised roof ('89 Duplex). It was one of the first, if not the first in the area. Lots of people told us they wouldn't get anything like that, it didn't look at all good, it was ugly (uncool).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    I remember when we got our first raised roof ('89 Duplex). It was one of the first, if not the first in the area. Lots of people told us they wouldn't get anything like that, it didn't look at all good, it was ugly (uncool).
    1989? Dude, like that is ancient history man...
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

I remember when we got our first raised roof ('89 Duplex).
    I can remember our first cab with a roof...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 3k Addition on a Seagrave

Probably about the same on other manufacturers. On a 500K truck, make them add it for no additional cost or walk away. Coming from years of Mack CF flat roof cabs, I like not smashing my airpak and lid on the ceiling when I stand to exit. It also adds extra storage space over your head for handlights/chargers, radios, and in-cab headsets.

Forum Member

That engine replaced an engine ('68 Hahn) that replaced the engine ('48 Ward LaFrance) that I learned to drive and pump on.

Forum Member

With the raised roof, you now have the option to mount 2 light bars on the roof. Isn't that what it's all about?

Forum Member

Default Few reasons

If you would like send me a PM and I will get you pictures of the interior of our cab and what is possible due to the raised roof. There is a lot of function other than just more room that this option allows. If their is no money or height restriction than go for it, it allows you to have all the tools of a first in company right at your hands without going any further than the cab.

Forum Member

That engine replaced an engine ('68 Hahn) that replaced the engine ('48 Ward LaFrance) that I learned to drive and pump on.
    Our 2005 HME engine, was preceded by a 1974 Mack CF, that was preceded by a 1967 Howe/International front mount pump, that was preceded by a 1960 American/Ford front mount pump, that was preceded by a 1950 Ford/Barton American front mount pump, that was preceded by a 1937 Darley/Ford midship pump. I learned to drive and pump on the 1950 and then the 1937. Mind you I joined this FD in 1977 and the line-up then included the 1950 engine, the 1937 engine, and a 1949 Mack EFU model tanker. I am convinced that EFU stood for Extremely Fugly Unit!!

I used to tell people we were the only active fire museum in the State of Wisconsin!
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

It was a schitbox then and it's a bigger schitbox now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    It was a schitbox then and it's a bigger schitbox now.
    You mean the one your youngest son went to his first parade in?

Forum Member

You mean the one your youngest son went to his first parade in?
    Yes. His first parade. In a Q-less overgrown police car. I'm surprised the piece of rusted out schit made it through the parade, nevermind getting to Lake Harmony and back without falling apart.

His first firetruck ride was on something classy- a 1958 F.W.D.

Thread Information