Forum Member

Safety of the guys working off a bucket as opposed to being on the truss roof is big.

But if you are talking about venting a roof as a very rare occurrence...it doesn't hold as much water. In my area, roof venting is not commonly needed as horizontal venting is adequate. I know of other areas that rarely cut roofs anymore as well.

I also know of a couple places that cut roofs just because they can....not because it's needed.

I run 2 engines out of my station. Why? The engines can do truck work...they just don't have an aerial. The ground ladders each carries access just about every roof in my town if needed. They are much smaller than a Quint and can get down all the streets and traffic jams, where a Quint may have trouble. They also cost a bit less than a Quint. They run as FAST apparatus as well.

by the way...we just replaced a 50' Teleboom (Quint w/o the ground ladder compliment) with an engine. It works in my area. Yours may be different. Truss roofs are very rare in my area....
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Not always, but often better...

Quote Originally Posted by oper77 View Post
    Can you describe the benefit to have a truck over a quint? My understanding is if the men are trained, and practiced the same, then the vehicle they work off of, whether it has a pump and hoses or not makes no difference. However, having come from a company that bought a quint tower in 02 and making it first run like previously mentioned, you have the water if need be to make initial attack.

I may not see the bigger issue, and I am open to listen (or read), what are the benefits of going true truck with no water?
    While Quints can be used successfully, in some places, often they're used as the "silver bullet" for everything.

If you need a truck company, most quints limit the hoseloads, the ground ladders and equipment carried. The pump and tank take up very valuable space, where more ground ladders might be carried. This also limits compartment space limiting how much can be carried, though somewhat to a lesser degree with more progressive tool mounting options.

Next how will it be used? If this apparatus is to function as your truck company, can the dept. be disciplined enough to position it for aerial operations not first line ops? So many say they can, but more often pictures show most cannot. Too often quints become the first due piece (to get the aerial position, they claim) but are positioned for preconnected hose line ops.

With a quint, if something goes wrong with any part you're out both an engine and an aerial. More maintenance, more costs, more headaches.

Staffing: can you train everyone to do both functions well? In most of our FD's this is probably how we have to function anyway, with less role specificity, but few can argue that a guy that works an engine or truck for 20 years should have honed his craft more than someone who's worked 20 years on both. Again, some claim they can do it, but few prove that point. But a moot point in a large percentage of FD's nationwide.

When they arrive how does the crew function? If they operate as an engine company, who will do the truck work, your next due 15-20 minutes out? Does the operator man the pump panel or stand on the turntable? At night, in the smoke, not having the TT position manned can be risky.

With straight single role apparatus the roles of the personnel can be more defined. The better defined these positions are the better the companies function as a whole.

Of course there are exceptions to every "rule" but I'd say they're just that, exceptions. In 25 years of seeing the fire service work, my observation is that those FD's that operate stricter single role apparatus and companies tend to be held in higher regard and their firegrounds are more functional.

We'd all like to think we're better than the FD who's picture in on some rag cover with the quint nosed up the driveway and hoselines off, with no shot from their aerial and blocking out another truck, but an awful lot of hose pictures are easy to find...

Forum Member

RFDACM02

Awesome points! This is what I am looking for! Thank you for that input.

I know it is difficult to carry operations and SOGs from a former co to a new co. However, I did post earlier how my former ran with 6 men and how we filed the roles of Truck and Engine Ops fluidly. And in that former co. next due could be minutes out.

Here and the new co. the next due is out the door prior to the first piece hitting the scene. So second due, is essentially up your.....

Additionally, placement is a massive issue from what I have personally experienced, and from what I have read. There are many issues with this, and many corrective actions for it as well.

- putting a quint first due, for the sake of placement, is mostly a cop-out. I have seen what you stated, (similar) quint pulling in to driveway killing aerial ops and killing next aerial's placement. This is a chauffeur issue that needs attention. I cant tell you how many times I backed my rear mount into the driveway for proper placement. When I left my former co. there were only about 6 chauffeurs for the tower, and we went through a fast learning curve and we had lessons learned and adjusted rapidly.

-chauffeurs do get blinders on, and do make mistakes on placement. However, I believe there should be an officer on scene calling the shots (another discussion I will start in the appropriate forum), and telling arriving units to place how and where.

Really appreciate the incite you just offered. Thank you

MembersZone Subscriber

Our quint gets used as a truck primarily and, with 4 engines in the dept., is a ladder co. first and foremost. Our personnel tend to swap back and forth between engine and truck so everyone gets some time working both. It's also more tower ladder than quint. Most quints require compromise on the hardware end. Ours has everything a dedicated truck has but just happens to have a pump and tank as well (albeit a small one that just makes it quicker to charge the lines!). However, for us, the quint is useful due to water supply issues in our area. Right in town, no biggie, good hydrants and it can usually have an engine dedicated to supplying it. However in outlying areas or at mutual aid fires, having a pump can help make the difference if we use the master stream and/or want to use foam. We don't draft with it (though we could if we had to) and all of the fires I've done with it, its always had a source pumper. But the pump has certainly helped make things more efficient and easier on the equipment in some cases, and we've had a couple fires where due to road situations and house placement, it was just easier to stretch the handlines off the ladder, with an engine feeding, than to have a much longer stretch from another engine, or give up a proper set. In a relatively recent case, the 2nd due engine personnel stretched the lines as their piece wasn't utilized, and we still had good ladder placement. It worked fine. That said, we worked for years with a straight stick "true truck" and made that work too. Could we use our tower effectively if it didn't have a pump? Of course, but having one has certainly made things easier in some cases!
    Last edited by mtngael; 09-14-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Forum Member

mtngael

Great input!

Thank you!

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Sir, I am not trying to make myself sound like a dumb *****, but I have re-read a few of my posts, where did I state we WAIT for aerials to do a vent? Do you mean where I refer back to the engine crew to be at the seat of the fire and radio to ops to radio to roof to make the cut?

You may not have MEANT that but it was sure implied in a few of your posts. You talk about the wait time and the engine crew taking a beating without ventilation.

You know there are other forms of ventilation right? Horizontal natural venting, hydraulic venting, and PPV venting. Look a truck compnay and using the aerial to vent the roof is a beautiful thing, but trying to make it sound like that is the ONLY way is laughable. I would be better than 90% of the structure fires I have ever been to that we ventilated get horizontal venting of some sort or another because cutting ahole in the roof was simply not needed.

I try to speak as accurately as possible, and if I am doing something to make myself look stupid, I want to correct it. I am new here, and this is my first week posting. Additionally, sometimes, as I am thinking, it isnt always conveyed in my typing.

See above.

I am here to interact with you all, to learn from a diverse crowd with varying experience, and I most certainly can take criticism, respectfully.

And my point is you need better justification than saying we can't ventilate without an aerial.

I want you all to open my eyes, I admit, I can be blind to things in front of me, it take a big man to admit that, but a bigger to learn from it.

NEED for an aerial is justification, wanting it is not.

Also, last eve, as we toured a few pieces, and had some discussions, a simple count, out of about 5 towns there is a supply of better than 16 engines with 4 aerials.

How many buildings do you have that your ground ladders won't reach the roof? How many buildings do you have that your ground ladders won't reach upper windows for rescue? How many times have you needed an aerial for a technical rescue? Those are justifications.

Its not about feeling SAFE, it is a safe practice, so we dont end up on the LODD list. My primary role outside FD is construction management and Safety. It is my obligation to abate hazards on a construction site, to have no loss time work injuries.

AGAIN, I am not saying you don't need a quint. Harsh as it sounds, it seems like you are saying over and over my old department had one so we need one too!

We do not expose men to greater risks to save minimal stuff. However, if we can protect our men from injury, we will protect people and property more effectively.

Sounds like pretty standard practice. Frankly if the roof is so unstable that we can't put men on it, maybe we shouldn't have guys in a bucket over the top of it either...

We do plenty of ladder drills with ground ladders. IF you dont believe it takes up to 7 minutes to put up a 32-40 with tormentor poles, go to your academy, run an evolution, let the senior guys stand back, and you stand there with a stop watch. You would be surprised at the numbers, when it is you timing the events. in TRAINING scenarios, more times, the suppression crew was knocking down the fire, before the Truckie engine men had the ladder set and were on the roof pulling the saw up.

Look, I admit that I forgot that 40 foot ladders have tormentor poles, but a 32 to 35 does not. 3 men can EASILY put up a 35 foot ladder. In fact that is part of the firefighter 1 roof ladder evolution here in Wisconsin. It most certainly does not take 7 minutes to raise and extend a 35 foot ladder by an experienced crew.

Also, a 40ft with tormentor poles, they train the guys out of the academy to put up a 40fter with 6 men. can it be done with less, sure, is it safer to do with less? are you exposing your men to possible injury or mishap?

Not many Bangor Ladders left in my part of the country. Heck most truck companies do not carry them anymore.

I am not talking about "feeling unsafe" I am talking about putting men a greater risk and exposure then necessary.

Um, who is?

And to all, I dont take any of this as bashing or being harsh or whatever, I respect input. and I am very open, to having my eyes opened more. 15 years in, and I still am learning everyday.

Rational, realistic justification will move things forward. THAT IS MY POINT!

Yet, no body has come forth with a reason why NOT to go Quint in favor or a 3rd engine duplicating the 1st engine.

As I said, I am not opposing you getting a quint. Just that you need a better plan than you have to support it.
    Good luck!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Good luck!

Trying to figure out how to respond back like you responded to me.

There is too much to remember, and I dont understand why I cannot quote your text.

I understand EVERYTHING you are saying. And while my point may be broken, I am trying to outline Quints/ Aerials BENEFITS over yet another engine.

I am not saying, my old had, so my new needs. It was brought to me, and asked can I help inform the committee why we need a Quint as opposed to a 3rd engine. By referring to my old, and trying to apply to my new, I am trying to apply the 9 years of work I have done and make an applicable debate.

Technical rescues, enough to benefit from an Aerial. Or, use our team and cross train with another's aerial.

Buildings in town, that a standard ground ladder cannot reach, if you read in my earlier posts, approximately 50ish % (I should have an accurate count by End of next week) of the new building built in the last 10 years, have a 28ft + Ground to Gutter distance (G2G), put the ladder at the safe 70degree angle, and then have 3-5 rungs above roof line, (3 being the minimum by OSHA and NFPA) Someone help me, this isnt calc, its trig, 28ft, pull out a 70degree angle and add 5 ft to that. All I know is on a try, 32ft didnt do it.

Having an engine crew assigned to truck duties, already done well before my time of joining.

and I am sorry, I forgot the rest of your points, I will reread and address more.

It's not a complaining thing. It's not I/ we want thing. It's not I had there, so I need here thing. It's we have money, more then enough. A Quint can do all the jobs an engine can do PLUS some, including rescues from heights, rescues from grain elevators and silos, PR for the town, etc. I was merely using vertical ventilation as the stronger firematic reason to need a quint over an engine. So my debate is going down a bad road.

More odd, is many people know we need a quint due to ISO ratings, and buildings built and projected buildings at the planning board. They state we can go a year or 3 before we get a quint, let us replace this engine with a duplicate of the first engine for a budget of 450k, and then we will buy a quint in 3 years for 900k.

Doesnt make sense to many, and I am the one who came here, and though that discussing this could open ideas up. Whether I go back to everyone that is pro quint, and say hey, after much discussion on forums, fact has come that it isnt a necessity. I was wondering if anyone has gone down this road and had advise to offer to ease the debate with purchasing a quint.

They will purchase a quint, if not now, later. My point, why waste the 450k now. Dont buy ANYTHING now, and wait to replace it later with a quint. Dont replace something, just for the sake of replacing it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Because WE can. Because it WORKS! Are you ever going to figure out the GATE to the City,or do I have to send Meehan AFTER you? T.C.
    I could always just drag him back with me when I go up an a couple weeks

Forum Member

Trying to figure out how to respond back like you responded to me.

Click the quote button at the bottom of the post. Use your cursor to put you inside the quote box, Type your message. Go to the color selection box in the tools section above this box and select a color. Highlight your text and then click on the color you want to use.

There is too much to remember, and I dont understand why I cannot quote your text.

Newbie...

I understand EVERYTHING you are saying. And while my point may be broken, I am trying to outline Quints/ Aerials BENEFITS over yet another engine.

Gotcha and I understand that. My point was your presentation seemed faulty to me and frankly, weak.

I am not saying, my old had, so my new needs. It was brought to me, and asked can I help inform the committee why we need a Quint as opposed to a 3rd engine. By referring to my old, and trying to apply to my new, I am trying to apply the 9 years of work I have done and make an applicable debate.

Look, no one wants to hear about how the old company did something, or how they were better, or whatever. To me justifying something using that even as an example weakens your position.

Technical rescues, enough to benefit from an Aerial. Or, use our team and cross train with another's aerial.

Buildings in town, that a standard ground ladder cannot reach, if you read in my earlier posts, approximately 50ish % (I should have an accurate count by End of next week) of the new building built in the last 10 years, have a 28ft + Ground to Gutter distance (G2G), put the ladder at the safe 70degree angle, and then have 3-5 rungs above roof line, (3 being the minimum by OSHA and NFPA) Someone help me, this isnt calc, its trig, 28ft, pull out a 70degree angle and add 5 ft to that. All I know is on a try, 32ft didnt do it.

Actually it is geometry, the pythagorean theorum to be exact. A squared + B squared = C squared (28x28) + (7x7) = Squre root of total is the minimum to reach the roof plus 3 to 5 rungs the answer being just shy of 29 feet, then add the 3 to 5 rungs, making it at least a 35 foot ladder. Yes sir, I LOVE MATH!

Having an engine crew assigned to truck duties, already done well before my time of joining.

If you don't have a truck it is a no brainer.

and I am sorry, I forgot the rest of your points, I will reread and address more.

It's not a complaining thing. It's not I/ we want thing. It's not I had there, so I need here thing. It's we have money, more then enough. A Quint can do all the jobs an engine can do PLUS some, including rescues from heights, rescues from grain elevators and silos, PR for the town, etc. I was merely using vertical ventilation as the stronger firematic reason to need a quint over an engine. So my debate is going down a bad road.

Sometimes a quint can do both and sometimes it is a half assed compromise that does neither job very well at all. Design, design, design...

More odd, is many people know we need a quint due to ISO ratings, and buildings built and projected buildings at the planning board. They state we can go a year or 3 before we get a quint, let us replace this engine with a duplicate of the first engine for a budget of 450k, and then we will buy a quint in 3 years for 900k.

Doesnt make sense to many, and I am the one who came here, and though that discussing this could open ideas up. Whether I go back to everyone that is pro quint, and say hey, after much discussion on forums, fact has come that it isnt a necessity. I was wondering if anyone has gone down this road and had advise to offer to ease the debate with purchasing a quint.

They will purchase a quint, if not now, later. My point, why waste the 450k now. Dont buy ANYTHING now, and wait to replace it later with a quint. Dont replace something, just for the sake of replacing it.

I don't disagree that if the purchase is inevitable then do it now. I guess i would ask with 31 guys showing up for a call is the plan to replace an engine or just add to the rolling stock with the quint? Seems to me you could justify adding to the rolling stock with that many personnel.
    Not try to pee in your Cheerios, just offering a different insight is all.
    Maybe it's not too late

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking I'm coming, just lost my map between the seats

Quote Originally Posted by mtngael View Post
    I could always just drag him back with me when I go up an a couple weeks
    I have to admit, kidnapping is an effective means to TC's goal. Is is still Stockholm Syndrome is you like your kidnappers before the crime?
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 09-15-2011 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Keyboard caused misspelled words

Forum Member

Our quint gets used as a truck primarily and, with 4 engines in the dept., is a ladder co. first and foremost. Our personnel tend to swap back and forth between engine and truck so everyone gets some time working both. It's also more tower ladder than quint. Most quints require compromise on the hardware end. Ours has everything a dedicated truck has but just happens to have a pump and tank as well (albeit a small one that just makes it quicker to charge the lines!). However, for us, the quint is useful due to water supply issues in our area. Right in town, no biggie, good hydrants and it can usually have an engine dedicated to supplying it. However in outlying areas or at mutual aid fires, having a pump can help make the difference if we use the master stream and/or want to use foam. We don't draft with it (though we could if we had to) and all of the fires I've done with it, its always had a source pumper. But the pump has certainly helped make things more efficient and easier on the equipment in some cases, and we've had a couple fires where due to road situations and house placement, it was just easier to stretch the handlines off the ladder, with an engine feeding, than to have a much longer stretch from another engine, or give up a proper set. In a relatively recent case, the 2nd due engine personnel stretched the lines as their piece wasn't utilized, and we still had good ladder placement. It worked fine. That said, we worked for years with a straight stick "true truck" and made that work too. Could we use our tower effectively if it didn't have a pump? Of course, but having one has certainly made things easier in some cases!
    Adding to this,the Quint was 4 years in the planning and building. It was built to serve OUR specific needs.We had a straight stick for a number of years and the BIGGEST issue we have with the new Platform is getting the Officers to use it as a Tactical weapon. It does so many things so much easier than the old Ladder there truly is NO comparison.Taxpayers(a few)bitched about the price......in the two years we've had it,it has ALREADY saved oved twice it's cost in taxable property. Now that's a pretty good ROI.The piece has done everything we wanted it to do and more. Undoubtably some of the BEST money we ever spent. T.C.

Forum Member

For your caluclations just go to http://www.csgnetwork.com/righttricalc.html and input your data. Need a 35ft ground ladder.

Our math instructor was close on the answer but wrong on the procedure/details. Info defined is angle side angle.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    For your caluclations just go to http://www.csgnetwork.com/righttricalc.html and input your data. Need a 35ft ground ladder.

Our math instructor was close on the answer but wrong on the procedure/details. Info defined is angle side angle.
    Sorry, no I wasn't wrong.

he said roof the roof edge was 28 feet, so the old standby placing the butt at 1/4 the working height puts that at 7 feet. 28 squared is 784, 7 squared is 49, add them together to get 833. The square root of 833 is 28.86, or just under 29 feet, so adding 3 to 5 rungs over the roofs edge we come up with needing a 35 foot ladder. The length of the ladder that it takes to reach the roofs edge is the hypotenuse of the right angle triangle created by the ground to roofs edge height, and the distance horizontally to where we place the butt of the ladder. Pythagorean theorum...high school Geometry. Math, you gotta love it.

I went to the calculator you mention and input the same date and guess what? The answer was EXACTLY the same, 28.86.

So do tell where I was wrong...because I wasn't.

Have a nice day!
    Last edited by FyredUp; 09-15-2011 at 02:18 PM.
    Maybe it's not too late

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    I have to admit, kidnapping is an effective means to TC's goal. Is is still Stockholm Syndrome is you like your kidnappers before the crime?
    That's a good question! Are you working the 1st BTW?

MembersZone Subscriber

That's a good question! Are you working the 1st BTW?
    10/1/11? Yes. Gonna be in the area?

MembersZone Subscriber

Yep, I'd been hoping to make it up earlier but the summer was busy work-wise. We were going to take a road trip the week after Labor Day but then I ended up in the EVOC TTT on the 2nd so figured I'd just wait till then to make the trip!

Forum Member

I have no idea on your call volume, but IMO, going down to 2 engines and a quint has the potential to backfire if one of the engines goes down.

Sure, you could use the quint as an attack piece and the remaining engine as a supply piece when that happens, but that may be tough to pull off if the personnel are used to utilizing S & T that has the quint doing the truck work.

Of course, if you have a department that is close enough with an engine that can take the place of the 2nd engine and handle supply work in a timely fashion, that becomes much less of an issue.

The other issue quite honestly is how often is the stick going to be used. Any aerial represents not only an additional investment in money, but also a significant investment in training time. Do you have enough call for an aerial to justify that training investment?

We are in what sounds like a similiar situation as we have seen some very explosive residental growth over the past 10 years. We have gone from a community of mobile hom,es and 1500-1800 sf homes to a community with much larger 2200-3000 sf homes including some larger 2-story buildings. While our large commercial property is limited to a large supermarket, 2 or 3 strip malls a few "small-box" stores, which on paper, may justify an aerial, the call volume in these structures simply cannot justify either the financial or training investment required.

We do have access toa city 75" about a mile from our border, however die to the LA rating system, which deducts points for AMA given over a set percentage of total runs, we have not requested nor would the city likley put it on a first alarm assignment for us.

There are certainly pluses to having an aerial, but you need to look at the number of times you would likely use the stick in an average year v. the number of times you would be better off with a third engine.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I have no idea on your call volume, but IMO, going down to 2 engines and a quint has the potential to backfire if one of the engines goes down.

Sure, you could use the quint as an attack piece and the remaining engine as a supply piece when that happens, but that may be tough to pull off if the personnel are used to utilizing S & T that has the quint doing the truck work.

Of course, if you have a department that is close enough with an engine that can take the place of the 2nd engine and handle supply work in a timely fashion, that becomes much less of an issue.

The other issue quite honestly is how often is the stick going to be used. Any aerial represents not only an additional investment in money, but also a significant investment in training time. Do you have enough call for an aerial to justify that training investment?

We are in what sounds like a similiar situation as we have seen some very explosive residental growth over the past 10 years. We have gone from a community of mobile hom,es and 1500-1800 sf homes to a community with much larger 2200-3000 sf homes including some larger 2-story buildings. While our large commercial property is limited to a large supermarket, 2 or 3 strip malls a few "small-box" stores, which on paper, may justify an aerial, the call volume in these structures simply cannot justify either the financial or training investment required.

We do have access toa city 75" about a mile from our border, however die to the LA rating system, which deducts points for AMA given over a set percentage of total runs, we have not requested nor would the city likley put it on a first alarm assignment for us.

There are certainly pluses to having an aerial, but you need to look at the number of times you would likely use the stick in an average year v. the number of times you would be better off with a third engine.
    Lessee if I got this straight. A GUY who does little to NO Ladder work and NO Aerial operations is advising a guy who KNOWS about quints on the subject of whether or not his response area needs one? Now that's FUNNY,I don't care WHO you are.As a Quint owner operator,La you couldn't be MORE off base. By the demographics that oper77 put up,he is in an EXECLLENT place to take advantage of a Quint. Surrounded by ENGINES but Aerial devices are close to a half hr out. I'd say that was PRIME Quint country. Or a straight Truck,which his Bosses DON'T want. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Lessee if I got this straight. A GUY who does little to NO Ladder work and NO Aerial operations is advising a guy who KNOWS about quints on the subject of whether or not his response area needs one? Now that's FUNNY,I don't care WHO you are.As a Quint owner operator,La you couldn't be MORE off base. By the demographics that oper77 put up,he is in an EXECLLENT place to take advantage of a Quint. Surrounded by ENGINES but Aerial devices are close to a half hr out. I'd say that was PRIME Quint country. Or a straight Truck,which his Bosses DON'T want. T.C.
    My previous department had a tower and then a quint for the last 12 years I was there, and I was one of the certified operators.

If you re-read my post you will see that nowhere did I advise him if he should have an aerial or not, but I did discuss the downside of running with 2 engines if they did purchase an aerial instead of the third engine.

I did say that my combo department, even though we on paper have some commercial structures and are starting to see some newer homes that could justify an aerial, and are only true current access to an aerial is the city, we could not justify the purchase of an aerial at this time as the run volume where it would be used is simply not there.

Forum Member

where it would be used is simply not there.
    Exactly. What do yard breathers need with an aerial. Now please, for the love of christ, shut the hell up and let people who know what they are talking about advise the man.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

How much of an issue would the cost be for your department? Seems to me that the flexibility provided by having a different type of apparatus would be a plus, but is it worth the price?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Exactly. What do yard breathers need with an aerial. Now please, for the love of christ, shut the hell up and let people who know what they are talking about advise the man.
    Maybe you need to shut the hell up.

You need to stop confusing my personal feelings regarding FD operations with the operations of my combo department. If I had my way, we would operate exterior only far more than we do. Unfortunately, there are members and officers that beleive that making interior attacks most of the time is a good thing. I personally disagree with that and I would personally like to see us operate exterior only far more than we do.

As far as the aerial we average maybe 1 fire every 3 years where there would even be a remote possibility of having to use an aerial, so even though we have structures where an aerial could be used, and the number are increasing, the actual fire volume cannot justify it's purchase. In many of the cases where we could use an aerial, we can still utilize ground ladders to achieve the same goal, though it may take a littler longer and/or a little more manpower.

There simply could be no way for us to justify it with the exception of a rating point or two.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 09-17-2011 at 08:12 PM.

Forum Member

Maybe you need to shut the hell up.

You need to stop confusing my personal feelings regarding FD operations with the operations of my combo department. If I had my way, we would operate exterior only far more than we do. Unfortunately, there are members and officers that beleive that making interior attacks most of the time is a good thing. I personally disagree with that and I would personally like to see us operate exterior only far more than we do.
    Which is precisely why you need to stop advising other, progressive firefighters on tactics, policies and procedures for offensive structural firefighting, except maybe in matters of which portable folding chairs or which sports/bottled waters are best for rehab.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Which is precisely why you need to stop advising other, progressive firefighters on tactics, policies and procedures for offensive structural firefighting, except maybe in matters of which portable folding chairs or which sports/bottled waters are best for rehab.
    Naaaaaaaaaaaa. I think I'll just continue doing what I'm doing.

Forum Member

Naaaaaaaaaaaa. I think I'll just continue doing what I'm doing.
    Burning schit down to the foundation and killing everyone you possibly can. Also driving past scenes of accidents where no first responders are on the scene yet.......Anything and everything you can possibly do to avoid doing what we are here to do- to help others. Yeah, you keep right on doing that. I still wonder if your Chief knows you come on here spouting the crap that you do......??

Thread Information