Forum Member

Default Physical Exams, yearly

Do any Volunteer companies require yearly physical exams by a MD?

Interior vs exterior men?

DOT physical for drivers?

Really looking forward to feed back on this topic

Forum Member

We are a small combo department now but the physical policy is still the same

Full yearly physical required including cardiac stress test on the bike. DOT Cards for all drivers. Yearly Physical includes pushups, sit ups, grip test, flexibility test, weight, height, lung capacity test, hearing test, EKG, Drug test (urine), Full blood panel, stress test on bike with blood pressure and heart monitor. It usually takes about 2 hours (from when I start to when I finish). MD and two nurses are usually at the department for 6-8 hours.

If you can't make it the day that the hospital comes to us (trailer and equipment, MD, and two nurses usually come) then you have to the hospital and get it done.

There is talk this year of doing the physical as its been done in years past plus having baseline chest X-rays taken of all members and doing yearly chest X-rays after this to hopefully (in the event of) catch any cancer or other lung issues in members in the very early stages. This should not be an issue but better safe than sorry. We only have about 15 members and the oldest one is early 40's, Chief is late 30's, the rest of us are in our 20's.

And as to the interior exterior thing, all of us are trained as all purpose firefighters in using all equipment and pumping all trucks the FD has. There are 3 of us that don't drive but that is only because we have not bothered taking EVDT and getting our Class E yet.

Forum Member

WOW! Awesome!

We have guys that arent fit, or are too old to go into a fire, so they do outside operations with no pac (obviously).

We also have a few men 60+ who still operate, and even a 81 yr old that drives, Yes, I cringe at that, and I will stay back for next due.

We have some men that are 300+ lbs, and I think one guy nearing 400.

I have had issues in my family, and recognize the signs of soon to be heart issues, clubbing of fingers, goids on neck, smoking two packs a day, difficulty getting up from a sitting position I could go on.

The company is concerned if implemented they would upset a crowd, and also lose drivers. I explained that safety isnt a concern of losing drivers. You have a lot more to lose if a responder has a heart attack while driving a crew of 5 to a fire. They dismissed the topic for now; which opens the liability a lot larger. Because you recognize there is a problem, you have no idea how to attack and rectify the problem, so dismiss the issue.
    Now, if there is an issue, a member would have a huge ground for lawsuits.

Any idea how to gracefully try to push the subject in a voly world?

Forum Member

46 views and 1 reply

Come on people. I am open to everything everyone has to say. Please offer insight!

Forum Member

Well, a couple questions

1. How many members does your department have, is it rural or urban, how many Sq miles does it cover, is mutual aid used well, how well funded is the department,

If a big change in the physical exams is done then one of two things will happen.
    1. Some people will get ****ed, the department will make exceptions for them, and the physicals will have served little to no purpose
    2. Some people will either leave by choice or get kicked off the department, and again be ****ed. The physicals will have done their job and the fire ground will be a safer place.

One of the biggest questions is money, but another question like listed above is that, if done properly, you will lose staffing and it needs to be something your expecting and prepared for

Forum Member

At my vollie house (combo dept), everybody gets a full physical annually. 12 lead , stress test, blood work up, hearing/vision tests, drug test, etc, etc. They also pull 4 randoms a month for drug tests..... in addition to post accident.

They are talking about making the CPAT part of the annual ordeal but no memo has come down on that as of yet.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information