Forum Member

Default Florida Firefighters question?

Hello all I just joined recently. I am currently a police officer considering changing careers. Anyone got any advice on becoming a fire fighter. I am currently living in Georgia and wanting to move to Florida and possibly become a firefighter this is still a thought and nothing planned.

Is the academy hard? Is it like police academy you fail a test..your out of academy. I am only 25 good physical condition.

Do volunteers in Florida get paid? I am considering joining volunteer and then maybe going reserves in military? Just wondering....

Thanks.
    adrake86 is offline Reply With Quote

Forum Member

Stay working as a cop, (keep a solid stable income) work on your emt / paramedic certs, hopefully while doing this the economy and demand for firefighters will improve. Florida is full of certified firefighters looking for jobs.

Once you have your medical certs, transfer them, then move to FL. Take your fire standards and start applying. Being a medic will open a lot of doors, look at all the job announcements and you will see what I am talking about.

Forum Member

Put with FL accept NREMT-P's? I know they won't take NREMT-I's.

MembersZone Subscriber

Florida will not accept anything National. Unless you are Florida certified, don't waste your time applying. I've applied at several places and have everything under the sun, but I'm not "Florida" certified and it doesn't count. Definately get your EMT-P and sit for both NREMT-P and FL EMT-P while its fresh on your mind. That leaves you an option. As for EMT-I, that cert no longer exists. There is only EMT, EMT Advanced and Paramedic beginning in 2012. Then take your FF 1 & 2 classes in Florida to get your Florida certs. All mine are IFSAC & ProBoard and FL will not accept them. Good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by senatobiafire View Post
    Florida will not accept anything National. Unless you are Florida certified, don't waste your time applying. I've applied at several places and have everything under the sun, but I'm not "Florida" certified and it doesn't count. Definately get your EMT-P and sit for both NREMT-P and FL EMT-P while its fresh on your mind. That leaves you an option. As for EMT-I, that cert no longer exists. There is only EMT, EMT Advanced and Paramedic beginning in 2012. Then take your FF 1 & 2 classes in Florida to get your Florida certs. All mine are IFSAC & ProBoard and FL will not accept them. Good luck.
    FL does not "accept" nremt-p, but if you are nremt-p you can challenge their emt-p state test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by adrake86 View Post
    Do volunteers in Florida get paid?
    here's your sign.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    here's your sign.
    LOL they were all thinking it! I hope...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by adrake86 View Post
    Hello all I just joined recently. I am currently a police officer considering changing careers. Anyone got any advice on becoming a fire fighter. I am currently living in Georgia and wanting to move to Florida and possibly become a firefighter this is still a thought and nothing planned.

Is the academy hard? Is it like police academy you fail a test..your out of academy. I am only 25 good physical condition.

Do volunteers in Florida get paid? I am considering joining volunteer and then maybe going reserves in military? Just wondering....

Thanks.
    adrake86 is offline Reply With Quote

Stay in Georgia and be a good cracker cop.

If you decide to move on and be a firefighter, look elsewhere beside Florida.

Try to get on the the Georiga Highway Patrol or whatever they are calling them nowdays.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Thanks for all the responses.

Thread Information