Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default EMS Inspection in PA

I recently noticed a quick response vehicle that has not be inspected by the Department of Health since 2007, and it is still being used to respond on calls. Are they legally allowed to do this? I've never seen this before so I've never had to ask and no one at my department is really sure either.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Forum Member

If I understand the QRS info from the DOH correctly, inspection by the DOH is not mandatory as it is for an ambulance or paramedic response unit and the like. The DOH info refers to it's QRS program as a "voluntary recognition program". This should make it similar to the voluntary rescue recognition program in that you do not need to be inspected and "certified" by the DOH to actually provide that service, but shows that your service and personnel have met a DOH defined level of service/certification.

If a service does participate in the program, the "recognition" is valid for a period of three years.

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    If I understand the QRS info from the DOH correctly, inspection by the DOH is not mandatory as it is for an ambulance or paramedic response unit and the like. The DOH info refers to it's QRS program as a "voluntary recognition program". This should make it similar to the voluntary rescue recognition program in that you do not need to be inspected and "certified" by the DOH to actually provide that service, but shows that your service and personnel have met a DOH defined level of service/certification.

If a service does participate in the program, the "recognition" is valid for a period of three years.
    Alright thank you for the info. I just wasn't 100% sure because I've always known ambulances to have the inspection up to date no matter what. First time I've ever seen a QRS vehicle without an up to date inspection. Thanks again.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Thread Information