Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Supplemental Power System / Idle Reduction on Older Apparatus

Just beginning to do some research on the application of Supplemental Power System / Auxiliary Power System / Idle Reduction Technology on "older" already in service fire apparatus. I am familiar with the new SPU idle reduction systems offered by Spartan chassis, the green star program from Rosenbauer and the CNG system from HME. All have their benefits for new units, im wondering about older units with non multiplexed analog engines etc. What kinds of department could benefit from this technology (on older trucks)? What kind of secondary functions would be desired, ie 110v generation, heating and cooling? Of course the system will already produce 12 volt to power warning lights etc. I dont really foresee this being applicable to a small (less than 200 runs per year) department, due to cost and return on fuel savings over time. Please let me know your thoughts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper505 View Post
    Just beginning to do some research on the application of Supplemental Power System / Auxiliary Power System / Idle Reduction Technology on "older" already in service fire apparatus. I am familiar with the new SPU idle reduction systems offered by Spartan chassis, the green star program from Rosenbauer and the CNG system from HME. All have their benefits for new units, im wondering about older units with non multiplexed analog engines etc. What kinds of department could benefit from this technology (on older trucks)? What kind of secondary functions would be desired, ie 110v generation, heating and cooling? Of course the system will already produce 12 volt to power warning lights etc. I dont really foresee this being applicable to a small (less than 200 runs per year) department, due to cost and return on fuel savings over time. Please let me know your thoughts.
    I don't have any hard data in front of me, but APUs (Auxiliary Power Units) have been in use in the trucking industry for some years now. They are used to provide electricity (both AC and DC), heat, and air conditioning for drivers while they are in their sleepers. I'm sure that some of them could easily be adapted to fire apparatus for our needs. Contact one or more manufacturers of them; I'm sure they would be interested in exploring new markets for their products.

Forum Member

Cool Time will tell... so will funding.

As long as Federal funding is in place, there will be some sold. But as soon as that dries up, so will the idea.

Thread Information