Forum Member

Default extension provides opportunity

With the additional extension, I am now in position that I can help a small neighboring rural fire district in submitting an AFG application for 2011.

I am looking for help from the folks on this forum.

They need to apply for extrication equipment.

Would a few folks mind sharing narratives?

Wolf

firefighterwolf@hotmail.com

Sent one on its way, so check your in box. It worked in 2008 for a small rural community in Southern Illinois which has some unique circumstances as you will see. Good Luck!

Forum Member

The first thing I'd encourage you to do is write them a new narrative yourself. Bumming one from elsewhere can provide some helpful ideas and phrases, but every department is unique and that's the key to getting funded.

What's unique about their situation? How many times a year do they have extrications? How many MVC's do they work without extrications (because sometimes it's a matter of inches between extrication and no extrication)?

Do they have tools now? How old are they? Have they had breakdowns, either on scene or off? Can they get parts and service in a timely fashion? How far away is the next set of tools? What are the chances that the next department is busy and unable to respond?

Think of the financial side. Where does the money come from? Do they do fundraisers that are heavily affected by the economy? Do they get funding from taxes but they tax base has eroded in the recession? Did they recently blow a pump or have damage to the station?

There's plenty of help here. We'd all be glad to help you.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    The first thing I'd encourage you to do is write them a new narrative yourself. Bumming one from elsewhere can provide some helpful ideas and phrases, but every department is unique and that's the key to getting funded.
    No need to be worried. I don't copy and paste or change the name and call it good. All I'm looking for are ideas for an extrication narrative. I have lots of background on this district and have written successful AFG's for them the past two years. I don't write dozens of applications each year, but I do write several. This year I'm only doing three. I've had fairly good success with the AFG program in securing funding for several districts in our area. From SCBA, Turnouts, Pumpers, Tenders, Exhaust Systems, AED's, Training, etc. Each and every application is unique to the few departments I write for.

I have just never written for extrication equipment until now and I have only a few days to get it done.

I do know that there is lots of help here on the forums....that's why I'm asking for help. That's why I offer help and share whenever someone else asks.

I didn't intend to puff out my chest or brag about my grant writing experience, but it irks me when people assume that when someone asks to see a narrative...that they are intending to copy.

Wolf

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf8552 View Post
    No need to be worried. I don't copy and paste or change the name and call it good. All I'm looking for are ideas for an extrication narrative. I have lots of background on this district and have written successful AFG's for them the past two years. I don't write dozens of applications each year, but I do write several. This year I'm only doing three. I've had fairly good success with the AFG program in securing funding for several districts in our area. From SCBA, Turnouts, Pumpers, Tenders, Exhaust Systems, AED's, Training, etc. Each and every application is unique to the few departments I write for.

I have just never written for extrication equipment until now and I have only a few days to get it done.

I do know that there is lots of help here on the forums....that's why I'm asking for help. That's why I offer help and share whenever someone else asks.

I didn't intend to puff out my chest or brag about my grant writing experience, but it irks me when people assume that when someone asks to see a narrative...that they are intending to copy.

Wolf
    A-ha! So you have some crust on your grantwriting helmet. Sounds like your neighbors are lucky to have you around. I started out doing the same thing, and I had the same reaction to people asking for my narratives--"Uh, it was written about those guys, not you." So you and I irk the same way!

So then back to tools, since you clearly know what you're doing on financial need and whatnot.

Again, emphasize the hazards they face by not having the tools. Mention how waiting on mutual aid can gobble up the golden hour. Do you have special highway issues, like infamously dangerous roads? Our district contains ten miles of the nation's busiest coal-hauling highway. Do you have anything like that, like logging trucks or a lot of fat people on tour buses ;-) ? Lots of that stuff is available through NHTSA.

What about tool uniformity? Are you guys on low-pressure & the mutual aid guys on high-pressure? If so, maybe your cutter quits and you call for theirs, and instead of just switching the hoses to a different tool you have to set up another power unit and hoses.

How does it affect your mutual aid partners if you have to call them to bail you out? Does it endanger their citizens if their tools leave the area? This is how you can expand the area of impact. And how might it help them if suddenly YOU could provide assistance to THEM?

Just keep on diggin', and keep on askin' for help.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Thread Information