Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Disgarce

Forum Member

Default A Disgarce

I am bringing this to everyone's attention, because it is affecting friends of mine at an older very small department. I am the son-in-law of one of the deputies with the county and friends with a few of the members at the department, and there is more to it that I cannot tell, but I would love to here your opinions.

http://www.theclevelandamerican.com/...9638589121.txt

Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Sorry I just now caught the typo in the title sorry again.

Opinions based on a sketchy newspaper article? Not me.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Opinions based on a sketchy newspaper article? Not me.
    Agreed. What are we supposed to give an opinion on? Someone at the fire department is under investigation for something.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Coming on here and airing the dirty laundy wont make things better. Also, making someone (who has a known record as a convicted felon) chief, much less a member of the department, and bad things are bound to happen.

From the article: "According to the Oklahoma Department of Corrections, Badgwell has served time in prison for possession of stolen property and false impersonation."
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Agreed with FWD - this is not the place for dirty laundry. Now for my opinion sence you asked. Make lemonade - use the adverse publicity as a recruiting tool. Good people are out there.
    ?

Forum Member

I do understand that there was not much detail in that article. I also know this is not really the place to bring this. I just wanted this to be brought to some peoples attention. I agree that he should not have been the chief or even a firefighter, and I will say he was not well liked by most surrounding departments. None the less I thank you for your input.

Your profile says, and you put it there, that you have 1/2 years in this business.

You are crying about something that is an department matter and shouldn't be posting in a forum that is read by everyone all over this world.

I bet your Chief is proud of you.

Why not be more positive and post something that is more beneficial and productive about your fire company.

I could post so much good stuff about my department or company that I would never get to any of the bad things.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Okay well this is not my department, it is a neighboring department to the one I used to volunteer for. I had to move away for a job and school. I am looking to join one of the departments near wear I live, but they are all full.

Quote Originally Posted by larsen2430 View Post
    . I am looking to join one of the departments near wear I live, but they are all full.
    Volunteer departments are "full?" What does that mean???
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Volunteer departments are "full?" What does that mean???
    I dont believe any department that is volunteer can be "full" as if they have that much membership mind sending some my way?

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Nonsense a volunteer fire department can't be full. I know of several in my area that have their memberships restricted to a certain number, either by the governing board, or by the FD alone. The usual motivators are logistics and cost. Do you have the equipment, space, and capability to handle over a certain number of volunteers.

Both POC FDs I am on have a defined membership size they are not allowed to exceed.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

In my former department our insurance would only allow 20 members. So my chief claimed. That seems to be the case with most departments, in my area, not allowing more then 20 members.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Huh??.............

In my former department our insurance would only allow 20 members. So my chief claimed. That seems to be the case with most departments, in my area, not allowing more then 20 members.

That statement needs to be reviewed for a few years before repeating it....... Insurance Companies are the ones who benefit most from Fire Departments having lots of people. Nice try though.

I guess while I have the floor, I'll go ahead and ask the Big Question. What do you have to gain by stirring the pot on this??...... Can't be concern for the community. After all, the Paper stated that the surrounding VFDs are helping out and all are working together. Sounds like things are on the right track, Sheriff doing his job, VFDs doing theirs.

Is it just me or is the aroma of Sour Grapes in the air??......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Well I just say that I call absolute BS on that.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    That statement needs to be reviewed for a few years before repeating it....... Insurance Companies are the ones who benefit most from Fire Departments having lots of people. Nice try though.

I guess while I have the floor, I'll go ahead and ask the Big Question. What do you have to gain by stirring the pot on this??...... Can't be concern for the community. After all, the Paper stated that the surrounding VFDs are helping out and all are working together. Sounds like things are on the right track, Sheriff doing his job, VFDs doing theirs.

Is it just me or is the aroma of Sour Grapes in the air??......

Harve, as you know, there are always ones who wants to toot their horn and complain about everything that the powers that are, have set forth for a fire company to run by. No one will ever be happy, even when they excel to the top of the heap, they will have something to moan and gripe about.

For this young guy to bemoan what is going on in here, it just juvenile. He need about 3 years in the military. Actually the first week or two would straighten him out!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Now, just to play devils advocate, their insurance may cover up to 20 people before raising to a higher premium, which may be outside of their budget.

And a lot of those departments in OK are not rolling in the money.

But I bet I would get the budget raised the small portion it took to raise that to whatever the next level is. Small price to pay for more volunteers. Sounds more like the Chief just did not want some people on the department so he gave them a line.

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    And a lot of those departments in OK are not rolling in the money.
    Must be the rascally governor.

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

I'll chime in. I can say my FD received a lot of press earlier this year regarding basically the same stuff. I will say that this happened while I was retired. We did turn this misfortune around to benefit us.

Now as for posting it here. Why? You might be able to stretch it if you were on this department but stating you used to be on a neighboring department to the one in the article bemoans of something other than good intentions.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

His other thread was entitled "how do i lose wait quickly?"

He's so disgarceful.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Thread Information