Forum Member

Default Eagle River Resident Intern Program

Does anybody know anything about this program or how competitive it is to get a spot? The application date just closed and testing is next month but I'm not too familiar with these resident intern programs. I have a college degree but it would be nice to have my fire I & II paid for along with a fire science degree (and the experience of living in a fire station full time), but just wondering how competitive the whole process is. Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by athletefirefighter; 09-16-2011 at 09:29 AM.

Forum Member

I knew a guy that went through it a few years ago. While it isn't as competitive as some of the bigger departments you still have to go through the same type of process. I know the program was great for my firend. While you won't run a ton of calls you get good experience working as a full time firefighter and getting all of your certs and a place to live. Good luck!

Forum Member

Hey!

I am currently a resident intern with Eagle River and I just graduated from academy last August. My pool had about 30 or so people in it to choose from because this is the first year they have required your EMT at the time of application. It's not super competetive and almost everyone gets an interview. It's a great program to be a part of...the academy is a 16 week, 600 hour full-on, super rigid militaristic academy and definitely prepares for any academy you may go into. We work 48/96 schedule so as soon as you finish with academy you go right online with your crew. The residents here get swooped up with other departments pretty quickly because of the experience and knowledge and skills you gain here. Our current class of 13 has been on line for about 2 months now and we already have 1 person hired on full time elsewhere and others are pretty high on lists. I highly recommend this program and encourage everyone and anyone to apply! Any questions, hit me back.

Forum Member

U happen to be talking about eagle river alaska?

MembersZone Subscriber

Ha! I'd presume this to be Eagle River Fire Protection District covering a number of towns in the Eagle Valley of Colorado. Most notably the ski resort of Beaver Creek.

Forum Member

Yeah this is Eagle River Fire based in Avon, CO and covers Eagle-Vail, Minturn, Beaver Creek, Edwards, Cordillera and Wildridge. We cover the I-70 corridor from West Vail/Minturn up to Eagle.

Forum Member

I've made a presentation to the interns there.

This is a good live in program where you can gain education, experience and much more on their dime. Where else can you do that? I've heard from many that were at my presentation that went on to be hired by agencies far and wide.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information