Thread: Helmet opinion

Forum Member

Default Helmet opinion

Hey bros,
    I teach live fire training and need to get a better helmet that will stand up to the rigors of the burns. I'm in between 2 helmets that I have in my possession, a Ben 2 and a cairns 1010. Now i know some of you will say leather is the best, but I don't have the $ for leather. Plus I don't want to maintain one either. These are 2 helmets I was able to basically score for dirt cheap. So for those of you who do the live fire training, have you used either helmet and what did you think?

Thanks bros and stay safe
    Greg

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gss1125 View Post
    Hey bros,
    I teach live fire training and need to get a better helmet that will stand up to the rigors of the burns. I'm in between 2 helmets that I have in my possession, a Ben 2 and a cairns 1010. Now i know some of you will say leather is the best, but I don't have the $ for leather. Plus I don't want to maintain one either. These are 2 helmets I was able to basically score for dirt cheap. So for those of you who do the live fire training, have you used either helmet and what did you think?

Thanks bros and stay safe
    Greg
    A lot of us around here use Ben IIs for live fire instructing. They seem to hold up pretty well.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

I hate to say it, but I think leather is the best for this. I have already destroyed a 880 and am working on destroying a 1044. I will be puttin gmy 15 year old leather back in service for training. They just hold up better as long as you take care of them.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Thanks bros. I have the 1010, but may have an opportunity to grab a new yorker for cheap. I just may need to get a new liner. Thanks again and stay safe

Greg

Forum Member

Most instructors here have 1010s as far as i have seen and they seem to hold up pretty well

Forum Member

Thanks kt. I have a 1010 I just used along with the other guys I teach with. I liked it, a few of them didn't. The big factor is they want Orange so we stand out from the students. So now were trying the phenix tc2 that phenix was nice enough to paint Orange for me. I will say, right away, the phenix sits nice on my pin head. I'm now curious about their leather....thanks again brother be safe

Forum Member

The Phenix leather is awesome. It is lighter than others on the market and fits like a dream. If you need more information, send me a message.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Thread Information