Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Big city or suburbs

Hey everyone, I have a bit of a dilema that i have been mulling over in my head for quite some time. I'm currently a full time firefighter/paramedic in the suburbs of a big city and love where I work. Place is great great guys busy but my real dream is to be on the big city where there is more action and more fires more calls more money ect ect. I have always wanted to be there but I always told myself that if I could not get on the city because my number never got drawn or it just wasn't in the cards or a suburban fire department called first I would take it. Well i already left one rural suburban department for my current job which is where I did all my ride time for emt and medic school. It was a great fit at first but then as time has gone on i keep thinking is this the best place for me, am I using all my skills that I have been taught because the department is not as busy as the city. I always said if i couldn't be on the city I would be happy where I'm at now. Well my number got called for the city i did the physical and all that stuff now I'm just waiting for the letter of employment. Basically I'm trying to figure out and get advice on what to do. Taking the job in the city means i have to live there in the city limits where I do not currently live and taking a big risk because if i quit my job and the city does not work out or i fail out of the academy which is not going to happen but nothing is for sure I'm up that creek without a paddle! I;m looking for some advice on what to do? I have gone over this in my head a million times and can't come to a decision and it's starting to affect my life in a bad way. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks everyone

Keep it safe

Forum Member

are you married and do you have children?

Do you know 3 or 4 people on the dept you want to go to??? if so have you set down with them and gotten a feel for the entire climate, not just in the dept, but also in the city

have you looked at living arrangements/ cost of living, will you make more money in the long run

do they run medical, and if so will you be doing that for a number of years

remember there are slow stations also.

what are the politics like in the city, have they gotten raises, no raises, years with out hiring, layoffs

what is their promotion process

MembersZone Subscriber

fire49 Thanks for the advice. I have talked to a number of city guys. I would be entering on the medic side then "hopefully" crossing over to the fire side. Per employees on the medic side and a few guys i went to medic school with that are currently medics waiting to cross over but they say the wait to cross over is anywhere between a year and up to 8 years on the ambo before you even get to go to their fire academy. So do you see where my dilema is. I'm on a departent where we rotate engine and ambo every third day, involved in CART and TRT busy enough 4000 a year for two stations. Is it worth taking a chance and going to the city and possibly having to wait on the medic side for 8 years! I'm looking for advice from someone who maybe has done this, or decided to stay where they were and were happy with their decision, or went and wished they had stayed where they were. I know it's a decision i have to make but to me its always good to have a outside view on the situation. Maybe someone can point out a view i may have over looked.

thanks again everyone!

Forum Member

I hate to tell you to post the question twice, but you might put it under firefighter forum or hiring

I have made several moves and have not regretted any of them, but did get in one place that had a few minuses, and when I did see what I thought was a better place, aftere six years , I jumped, and for the most it is a lot better place.

I guess the big question for you is can you ride an ambulance for an unkown time, till you do get a chance to move

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm in line with fire49. talk to the guys, see what they have to say. don't do it just because you'll get paid more, pay may be more but the cost of living is definitely higher. shoot me a message if you need some advice, I currently work in a city a little less than a million in population, but have worked for smaller cities.

My brother-in-law works for a large city FD and I work for a suburb. They both have their ups and downs, but at the end of the day, we're both happiest where we're at.

He sees alot more "exciting" stuff (fires, wrecks, etc), but we see alot too (we're a suburb of the city he works for) so I'm never bored.

Since I'm 35, I enjoy sleeping most of the night, which he's a little jealous of. LOL.

Take care,
    Pete

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by smitty5104 View Post
    fire49 Thanks for the advice. I have talked to a number of city guys. I would be entering on the medic side then "hopefully" crossing over to the fire side. Per employees on the medic side and a few guys i went to medic school with that are currently medics waiting to cross over but they say the wait to cross over is anywhere between a year and up to 8 years on the ambo before you even get to go to their fire academy. So do you see where my dilema is. I'm on a departent where we rotate engine and ambo every third day, involved in CART and TRT busy enough 4000 a year for two stations. Is it worth taking a chance and going to the city and possibly having to wait on the medic side for 8 years! I'm looking for advice from someone who maybe has done this, or decided to stay where they were and were happy with their decision, or went and wished they had stayed where they were. I know it's a decision i have to make but to me its always good to have a outside view on the situation. Maybe someone can point out a view i may have over looked.

thanks again everyone!
    It won't take you eight years. The only time it takes that long is you fall in between fire exams somehow and they don't hold the fire exam until you've already been on as a medic for a few years. If you're already on the fire list and you get on as a medic it'll be about 2-3 years. I say this because I know what city/department you're talking about from the other thread. You're looking at 2-3 years, tops, to cross over, assuming you're on the current firefighter list. And that's not even taking into account them adding more ALS fire rigs which they want to do.
    Last edited by Iceman26; 09-23-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Thread Information