Forum Member

Default FireFighter/EMT with only 1 DWI and thats it

I have been worried, im 23 years old. I received my first and last DWI a few months ago. I have all my firefighter certs and EMT..basic certs for getting hired somewhere. I know quite a few of the people on the full time department im trying out for, and they are telling me that there are guys on the dept that have gotten a DWI, and that i just messed up once. I was wanting your insight on just having 1 DWI on your driving record, other then that my record is clean. No speeding tickets, no drugs, no anything..except this DWI. I learned my lesson, im human and messed up once.

Forum Member

check with the city first to see what the polciy is, some places you will not get hired, some are after so many years

has this been settled in court?????????? as in might it get kicked down to a lesser charge???

being on a deprtment and getting a dwi, is a little different than trying to get hired with one, which it should not be, even though depending on the state, they might lose their driver's License either permanent or temp, which is normaly a condition of employment.

Forum Member

No it hasnt been settled in court yet, and im going to see if it can be kicked down to a lesser charge. In the state of missouri which i am in, I wont lose my EMT license. I will have my full drivers license back within 3 months, and i can apply for a CDL Class B in 1 year. Which when you first get hired onto the department you cant drive a truck for your probation period which is one year, i have looked into the citys policys and cant find anything saying about prior DWI's. The way the state law reads and the citys policys, its left up to the departments themselves to make that hiring decison. I have been around this fire department since i was 17, i was their first Explorer Cheif for their Jr Firefighters. Done ride alongs, the cheifs all know me by first name basics. I know its bad to say "its not what you know, its who you know" I just may want to move away from here in 3-5 years to work somewhere else?

Forum Member

Sorry to be the guy to say this, but usually, when it comes down to two people and one has a DWI, that person is not gonna get the job. Why should they pick the guy who screwed up when they don't have to? With that said, if you make it to an interview, explain why you got it and what you've learned. Show how it has forced you to mature, If you play your cards right, it could end up not hurting you. GL.

Forum Member

The subject of DUI's has been covered extensively on these boards, and if you utilize the search function you will be able to find all the information you need.

KTF
    Forum Member

Its possible you could get hired with it, but not probable. You might have to wait 5 years. Your a emt with certs, but so am I and hundreds others without a dui.

MembersZone Subscriber

You have a very interesting way of phrasing and rationalizing this.
    Without dogpiling and preaching too much, keep in mind that you've been licensed to drive for maybe 7 years now and legally able to drink for 2.

You haven't been able to find much info yet on the policies towards DWI's except for it is up to the departments to make the hiring decision. Couple that knowledge with what frbarton stated and that is your answer. It is up to each individual department.

Overall, most departments will not touch you for a minimum of three years. But you need to continue to keep your nose clean.

If and when you make it to an interview, do not downplay the fact that you screwed up. Stating it's your "first and last DWI" and "just having 1" comes across that you do not take it seriously and IMO seems to project the attitude that it is not a big deal to you. It also does not negate the fact that you have it as part of your permanent record.

It's a long road, and you just made it longer for yourself.
    Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Duke listen up.. Don't listen to these yahoo's saying you cant get hired with a DUI. You can and WILL GET HIRED. If you want it. Howerever, they are right that it will take 3 years so their insurance can cover you. So in the mean time, keep your head up, stay clean, work hard, stay determined, and you will be there.

for the record, I was hired with a dui. It took 3 years for me. And I work for a large department.

Forum Member

We were actually talking about this in my recruit class today and out of 16, 2 people had DUIs prior to hire. Both waited 3 years though and you should expect to as well. You also need to be good enough that they look past that mistake

Forum Member

Self Deleted
    Last edited by arharris83; 02-18-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Thread Information