Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rescue tool reels.

It was suggested for our rescue tool reels we load 70' then have a 30' section to disconnect for portable operation. Does anyone else use is set up and how does it work?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sklump View Post
    It was suggested for our rescue tool reels we load 70' then have a 30' section to disconnect for portable operation. Does anyone else use is set up and how does it work?
    Practicality, sounds awesome. This enabled you to take off the short end, leaving the tool connected on one end, and have someone take a potable Hyrdopack off the truck. For instance, if you have a car drive far off the road, in a ditch, or out to the woods. Far enough away that the primary piece cant reach.

Doing this would be easier, and cleaner way to maintain line, instead of having a compartment with a bunch of loose lines.

My only thought is; do the connections work on the spool? When you couple two pieces of line together, the rigid connections are approx. what 7 inches?

Just look and see if it possible. I think, if its possible, its a great idea

MembersZone Subscriber

That's how we have our reels set up on our new pumper. As long as the fairlead that feeds the hose is large enough to pass the coupling through it, you will be fine. I was told that this is the way that our dealer prefers to set them up, as chances are if you are going to screw up a section, it will be in that 30' that is closest to the scene.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoaddoggAK View Post
    That's how we have our reels set up on our new pumper. As long as the fairlead that feeds the hose is large enough to pass the coupling through it, you will be fine. I was told that this is the way that our dealer prefers to set them up, as chances are if you are going to screw up a section, it will be in that 30' that is closest to the scene.
    Interesting thought.

We currently have 100' on the 2 reels and carry 2 50' sections for portable operations.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 09-21-2011 at 10:19 AM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

We do this with our electrical cord reels too. 200' of cord on reel-
    1 X 100'
    1 X 50'
    2 X 25'

Only issue is making sure the reel is large enough to handle the size of the connections.

MembersZone Subscriber

We've got standard 100' twin line reels from CMW for both of the lines, and the only thing that you really have to watch for is when you are rewinding, you will have a bulge where your coupling is. There is more than enough room on the reel to just wind it lightly around the fittings, though.

We also don't bother running an electric pump. We've got a gas powered unit that is set on the pictured slide out tray, allowing you to run it from the truck for the majority of our calls, and then pop the couplings and take it off road if needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

our set up is simillarto Road's and before we added the reels in 2009 we already had 2 colors of hose on 25 or 30 foot sections........so if we have to carry the tool we can just grab the "un" pre-connected hose.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Something else to consider - we added a 30 footer to the end of our 100' reels. The 30' hose gets most of the wear and tear. If a hose gets worn out or damaged, it will be much cheaper to replace the 30 rather than the 100.

MembersZone Subscriber

We ended up with two small gasoline power packs and 4 lengths of hose. No reels. In the end we have portable tools that are easy to deploy anywhere and redundant back-ups. Saved a bunch of money too (about $15k). Sure a preconnected tool system is faster off the truck, but 98% of the time our tools are set up before anyone's ready to actually make cuts or place the tips. You know, stabilization, evaluating the victims and developing the rescue plan.

Thread Information