Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Duped?

Forum Member

Default Duped?

Hi guys. I have a question on firefighter/ paramedic job testing. I am now 35 years old and have reached the end of my useful life according to hiring rules for departments in my area. I have tested but never "Hit the jackpot" and got on... despite high scores and Perseverance... and being a decent guy altogether. I have my National EMT-B and have volunteered. I put a lot of heart and hard work into finding a career fire job. Anyway, to put some closure on things, I need to get a question answered.

I tested with Rockford, IL fire... my hometown. I did the written in April 2010... did excellent. I did the physical ability (One week after tearing my knee playing hockey) and did pretty good. It was pass/ fail. The required time was 10:18. I did it in 9:14. I passed and I was scheduled to take the Psychological written in June 2010. Shortly thereafter, I received a letter that the department had budgetary issues and the testing process was on hold. Okay I thought... no big deal. It will weed out the guys who just want a job now and not really a career I thought. Further, it gave me time to get my NREMT-B... at my expense and on my time. July this year, I get a notice that I had "Successfully completed the written and physical ability tests" and that I was eligible to continue in the the hiring process that was resuming. I was pumped! All I had to do was reply back that I was still interested. I did so. Maybe a month goes by and I get a letter stating that "We regret to tell you that you were not chosen for an oral interview". Excuse me? There's a mistake here I thought. What happened. I called. I emailed. No response. I emailed again. I received a call from a representative of the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners. I was disqualified because they decided to change the requirements to move on in the testing process from 10:18 minutes to 9. I was speechless. I replied that if I knew the bar was set at 9 mins, I would have paced myself to do it in 8.. or whatever.

Its like telling a guy in law school that he needs to get a 3/4 GPA to qualify to take his bar exam and at the end of all those years... he earns a 3.0 and is told... sorry, you cant take the bar exam... we changed our requirements to needing a 4.0 instead... sorry, you cant be a lawyer now. But thanks for your effort in going through law school... We wish the best for you in your pursuit with an useless degree. I use law as just an example and perhaps a segway to my real question...

Is this testing procedure normal? ethical? or legal?

Im not at all thinking legal action. Im not like that. I just wanted a fair shot at presenting myself in an interview. I worked my *** off and would probably impress a person or two if given a fair shot.

Like I said, Im officially 35 now. It's too late for me to get a career fire/ paramedic job. Rockford was my last chance. I'm just looking for closure/ moral support

Thanks much! G

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GTPilot View Post
    Like I said, Im officially 35 now. It's too late for me to get a career fire/ paramedic job. Rockford was my last chance. I'm just looking for closure/ moral support
    When I was assigned to the training division as a recruit instructor, we had a former marine come through at 53 years old. I had a 51-year-old in my class. I wouldn't let this situation convince you that you're too old...maybe for some departments, yes, but there are plenty more out there that would have you!

Best of luck, bro.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Was the pass time known up front????

Does your area/ state have an upper age limit??

If not sounds like you should keep testing

Or come on down to Texas they like paramedics

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp

Forum Member

You certainly aren't too old! You may be too old to pay into the state/municipal pension...but there are many departments that do not have an age limit for hiring itself.

Also, look into contract jobs with PSSI or PSI!

Forum Member

The pass time was known up front... 10 mins 18 secs. Then
    .. they changed their minds on the cutoff over a year later to 9 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Was the pass time known up front????

Does your area/ state have an upper age limit??

If not sounds like you should keep testing

Or come on down to Texas they like paramedics

Forum Member

I think I would at least go through some higher ups and not just in the fire department and question that action.

Yes it may not look good, but what do you have to lose??

Forum Member

Don't waste your time going through "higher ups" in the fire department. The real question here is did you really take the physical agility test and not do your BEST?
    We do not look for minimum passing scores. We look for people who try their hardest and want to get the top score.
    And yes, the department can change the rules depending on how many people make it through the testing process.
    A word to the wise, there is no such thing as a pass or fail. Always try your hardest!
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

MembersZone Subscriber

It is tough to give up on a dream. So don't, look for another avenue to become a FF. If in your area there are age restrictions then move (if possible). Here in Orlando, Florida departments have hired people into their forties. So sometimes a change might be in order.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTPilot View Post
    Hi guys. I have a question on firefighter/ paramedic job testing. I am now 35 years old and have reached the end of my useful life according to hiring rules for departments in my area.
    Time to look outside your area. If 35 is the eud of your useful life, then I'm hosed . I just turned 38 and graduated from the Fire Academy in the last month. I'm in the process of looking for jobs now.

Keep your head up, there are plenty of depts out there that would love to have someone with life experience on their dept.

Default Hang in there

Many Departments have a pass or fail time on their physical agility's. The key is to score as low as you can and don't do a job just to get under the pass fail line. By changing their minds on who to ask for the Orals is their decision....you still passed but they wanted candidates with the lower times. This is the trap that most fall in...they just want to get under the pass fail time. You should always do your very best when taking these types of exams..you never know who or what they might do with your times. Keep trying as your still a viable candidate and I'm sure there are many departments out there looking for your type.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

I had to take it easy going through the test... I just tore my ACL and meniscus playing hockey the week before. (I didnt know I had done such damage) Had I known the bar was raised, I would have stepped up the tempo. Where I did bust my ***** was in the written where it was clearly explained that the score would affect the overall. I also went out and got my NREMT cert and now teach others voluntarily. I did contact the chief. They had a lawyer call me to explain that they changed the criteria. No explanation why. Just because. Thanks for the feedback. Ill remember on my next ability test to race through it. The departments need to hone their testing criteria ahead of time and be clearer on the requirements... and not change them... and let the guy with the best score WIN!

Quote Originally Posted by paulLepore View Post
    Don't waste your time going through "higher ups" in the fire department. The real question here is did you really take the physical agility test and not do your BEST?
    We do not look for minimum passing scores. We look for people who try their hardest and want to get the top score.
    And yes, the department can change the rules depending on how many people make it through the testing process.
    A word to the wise, there is no such thing as a pass or fail. Always try your hardest!

Forum Member

Thanks LongShot. Heck yeah life experience matters. I am not giving up. It was just a kick between the legs to have my local fire department in my city (Where I own a home and where my daughter is rooted in school and such) tell me no thanks. I am still looking. Whats the best site to check for jobs? Thanks!

Good luck to yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    Time to look outside your area. If 35 is the eud of your useful life, then I'm hosed . I just turned 38 and graduated from the Fire Academy in the last month. I'm in the process of looking for jobs now.

Keep your head up, there are plenty of depts out there that would love to have someone with life experience on their dept.

Forum Member

Thanks Jay Dudley. I bike about 100 miles a week. Now that my knee is healed, I'll step up the tempo next test. I didnt know that departments change criteria afterwards.

Forum Member

If you can convince the family to move come on down:::

Thread Information