Forum Member

they can be state certs also.

MembersZone Subscriber

Editing/deleting my comment because I just realized the link wasn't about Antarctica.
    Last edited by Tikcuf9905; 10-21-2011 at 07:03 PM. Reason: I realized the link wasn't for Antarctica.

Forum Member

haha sorry same here, I didn't see that he posted a different link and was talking about another gig.

MembersZone Subscriber

No worries, dude. I just didn't want to leave my comment up there because it was related to the cert requirements. I didn't want anyone thinking "Ooh, no ARFF now" for the polar project. My own fault, I should've looked at more than the list of certs before commenting.

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face quick tips

Quote Originally Posted by philfirerescue View Post
    I got grandfathered in without ARFF, but you do need it down there now, just to confirm that. It was funny, I went down my first season, spend almost all of it out at the airfield and I wasn't ARFF certified, but that is ice logic for you.

Also, make sure you aren't in any legal trouble; that you can't travel to New Zealand. They don't take felons and such (but if you have that kind of legal trouble you can't really be in the fire service)

They had one guy on my flight who got in trouble in Australia (a while back) and since New Zealand and Australia have a legal agreement, they had to fly that guy back to the states, because they refused to let him enter the country.

But yea, good luck...Antarctica is wicked cool
    I forgot to add that if you go down to the ice, invest in a rubber cover for your MP3 player. Static electricity down there can zap your ipod and kill it. Also your laptop might need a new battery when you get back, the power fluctuates down there and can hurt that too.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just applied, anyone have there recruiter contact info?

Forum Member

Anyone heading to Denver next week for there eval. ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Raytheon is losing the contract at the end of March. At this time I believe they have enough firefighters for the winter season. So unless Raytheon needs to fill a winter slots they will not being hiring anymore firefighters for Antarctica. As of right now the last flight aboard a C-17 here and back to NZ is slated for March 5th. So if your not on that flight you are not getting here. I suggest you apply with PAE for the Summer season.

Forum Member

They have me going to denver for my phys elva. on Tues. I'm sure they wouldn't be blowing all this money on me for the fun of it. I excepted my offer on feb 6th and the way they act is that they still need more

MembersZone Subscriber

So you are coming for the winter season. Im in Antarctica right now. Raytheon will no longer be here after the end of March. It will then be run by Lockheed and PAE. Once you get here you may have to sign another contract with PAE to finish out the winter season. The best you can do is to call the denver number daily.

Forum Member

Hey Lasko I'm going to PM you

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone have an Idea on when PAE is going to start up their process? I filled out an app a week ago.
    The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Forum Member

Hey bud, This is just my opinion but I think they start up in the beginning to mid summer time. Hopefully someone on here can give more info, I'm just worried that pae will lower the pay since they lowered the requirements. I was an alternate for Raytheon this last go around. So hopefully I will have better luck this time
    Last edited by Jmason66; 04-15-2012 at 01:59 AM. Reason: typo

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info! I will continue to keep an eye on this thread. I have a buddy that is over there now under the raytheon contract. Unfortunateley he couldn't give me any info on it.
    The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Forum Member

@FirefighterPep, check your PM

Thread Information