Forum Member

Talking AFG watering hole

OK folks the apps are in , lets all say thank you and have the beverage of your choice while we wait for the next opportunity to submit a grant app.

OOPS. I've got a local foundation app due next week. gotta go after a quick drink.

Good luck to ALL !
    Ed

Forum Member

CHEERS!!!

Ok, the next competition we can start, who had the least amount of characters left after paring down their narrative sections to fit the new format. I had one section with 1 character left.

By the way, drink of choice is a Guinness with a shot of Jameson's.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JAM1096 View Post
    CHEERS!!!

Ok, the next competition we can start, who had the least amount of characters left after paring down their narrative sections to fit the new format. I had one section with 1 character left.

By the way, drink of choice is a Guinness with a shot of Jameson's.
    I had two sections that took several attempts to get under the character limit.
    My cost benefit had zero left after abbreviating a few words to get to the limit.
    One had 450 characters too many before paring it down to the final product.

MembersZone Subscriber

I did not like the new format. I don't think I was able to explain all aspects of the project, need, and benefit as I could in old format. Sure did cut down on any BS. I think if you had several items to justify it was difficult.
    BB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BB3939 View Post
    I did not like the new format. I don't think I was able to explain all aspects of the project, need, and benefit as I could in old format. Sure did cut down on any BS. I think if you had several items to justify it was difficult.
    Agree! I had to cut down the narrative on the Project Description (1 of 4), that at the end I had to rewrite it again since a lot of important details were missing

Forum Member

Talking

In the interest of keeping the obvious simple & brief. Here's how I ended the cost benefit narrative.

Cost Benefit:
    project cost: $15485.00 divided by 12 years life expectancy= $1,283.61 per yr.
    Average of 140 EMS calls / yr.=$9.16 per call.
    Cost savings of one preventable career ending back injury = priceless

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    In the interest of keeping the obvious simple & brief. Here's how I ended the cost benefit narrative.

Cost Benefit:
    On my request the cost benefit ended being:

$2,170,000 divided by the 10 years of life expectancy / 3,979,000 residents ended being .05 cents per resident per yr
    average of 26,000 calls per year ended being $8.34 per call

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PRRESCUE View Post
    Agree! I had to cut down the narrative on the Project Description (1 of 4), that at the end I had to rewrite it again since a lot of important details were missing
    I had to do that with the city/department description. I swear it took longer to rework that than it did to write it in the first place.

However, the other information block helped a bit. I was able to put a lot of information I wanted to present in that location that fit better there than it did anywhere else.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cost Benefit:
    That was a good one ED. You really didnít put that in the app did you?
    dfd701

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dfd701 View Post
    That was a good one ED. You really didnít put that in the app did you?
    dfd701
    Knowing Ed, I bet he did.LOL!
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Talking

that was a direct copy & paste from the narrative field.
    Hopefully the peer reviewers will take it in the proper way and understand.
    I look at it this way: I couldn't get the cost benefit any lower and a power stretcher will have a profound effect on the safety of our providers backs. We have been getting a lot of 350 -400 pounders lately and moving that much weight is ok until you need to lift it up to ambulance loading height. We've had a couple of times where it was touch & go whether we were going to make the lift or wait an addition 10-15 minutes for additional lifting assistance. sometimes the pt doesn't have the time to wait.

Forum Member

that was a direct copy & paste from the narrative field.
    Hopefully the peer reviewers will take it in the proper way and understand.
    I look at it this way: I couldn't get the cost benefit any lower and a power stretcher will have a profound effect on the safety of our providers backs. We have been getting a lot of 350 -400 pounders lately and moving that much weight is ok until you need to lift it up to ambulance loading height. We've had a couple of times where it was touch & go whether we were going to make the lift or wait an addition 10-15 minutes for additional lifting assistance. sometimes the pt doesn't have the time to wait.
    If I were a peer review panelist I will certainly approve your cot. I know what is to deal with a heavy weight patient.

Forum Member

Default Paramedic here with l5 s1 really messed up

If I were a peer review panelist I will certainly approve your cot. I know what is to deal with a heavy weight patient.
    I have had 4 surgeries on my L5-S1 and i still am not right. so i salute you for that!
    John & Sheila
    McMechen Volunteer Fire Department
    "Always Ready Always Faithful"

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

Talking

If I were a peer review panelist I will certainly approve your cot. .
    Thats kind of what I was hoping when it gets to peer ! :-}

MembersZone Subscriber

Thats why I'm called the heavy lifter I guess. Young and a good back thanks to the chiro. I will have a Jim Beam and sour, in a tall glass. I also did not like the new format and did some copy and pasting.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by admpaul View Post
    Thats why I'm called the heavy lifter I guess. Young and a good back thanks to the chiro .

that was me thirty some odd years ago. Now I'm older and wiser, with a pretty solid back and hoping to keep it that way.

MembersZone Subscriber

I thought this year's format was a great education...

Application for my home department was a repeat of last year's failure (weak in effect on daily operation). Started by "cut & paste" each section. My project description was something like 6,100 characters initially--when i took a hard look at it, i spotted several areas where i was selling the improvement to daily operations instead of describing the project. Much of what was deleted from the project description i was able to use in the daily outcomes section.

earl

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Greenacres2 View Post
    I thought this year's format was a great education...

Application for my home department was a repeat of last year's failure (weak in effect on daily operation). Started by "cut & paste" each section. My project description was something like 6,100 characters initially--when i took a hard look at it, i spotted several areas where i was selling the improvement to daily operations instead of describing the project. Much of what was deleted from the project description i was able to use in the daily outcomes section.

earl
    Last year's application was limited to 19,000 characters or 5 pages; this years was actually 20,000 if you used them all, so you actually gained a 1,000 characters.

Earl, as you pointed out most of this years application really just involved putting the right things in the right places.

Looked for you at Indy and Chicagoland on TV; didn't see you on fire crew; did you work it?
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Last year's application was limited to 19,000 characters or 5 pages; this years was actually 20,000 if you used them all, so you actually gained a 1,000 characters.

Earl, as you pointed out most of this years application really just involved putting the right things in the right places.

Looked for you at Indy and Chicagoland on TV; didn't see you on fire crew; did you work it?
    Skipped IMS this year because of my duties at Lucas Oil Raceway for the support races--something about getting done at 0215 and needing to leave for the "big track" at 0300 that is just ugly. (not to mention unsafe!!)

Was at Chicagoland for both events this year. In June did double duty--worked in Pit 27 and also was operator on the Lucas Oil jet dryer--i know i got some TV time for that. Last week had the #18 car in my pit, so i'm guessing that we got at least a "cameo" on the air.

earl

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Greenacres2 View Post
    Skipped IMS this year because of my duties at Lucas Oil Raceway for the support races--something about getting done at 0215 and needing to leave for the "big track" at 0300 that is just ugly. (not to mention unsafe!!)

Was at Chicagoland for both events this year. In June did double duty--worked in Pit 27 and also was operator on the Lucas Oil jet dryer--i know i got some TV time for that. Last week had the #18 car in my pit, so i'm guessing that we got at least a "cameo" on the air.

earl
    Well that confirms it; guess its time to see the eye doctor. Good to hear from you Earl!
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Well that confirms it; guess its time to see the eye doctor. Good to hear from you Earl!
    Don't worry about your eyesight--with hood, helmet and goggles the only way i ever know it's me is because i knew where i was!! Some of my co-workers claim that i have a unique way of standing, referring to it as "Captain Condor", but i think they are mistaken!!

earl

Forum Member

Had a few minutes tonight so thought I would stop in here and catch up on some forum reading. Hope everyone is doing well! Sorry I haven't been around here much, but been busy with work, school, and family. Well, now that I'm caught up...probably better get my nose back in the books!!

MembersZone Subscriber

While doing all of my quarterly grant reporting I decided to look at my AFG account and of course found nothing. This begs the question is Peer reviews still slated for later this month or did they get pushed because of the extension?

Forum Member

Still scheduled for the 24th to the 28th. Got all the paperwork last week.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WJVaughn View Post
    While doing all of my quarterly grant reporting I decided to look at my AFG account and of course found nothing. This begs the question is Peer reviews still slated for later this month or did they get pushed because of the extension?
    Still on! I just got my airline confirmation to fly out on the 23rd

Thread Information