Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default New Twist to the "Vertical Crush" Door Setup

Received a question from a firefighter that reminded me to spread the word on a new twist for those of us who use the Vertical Crush technique to set up a jammed door. This is where you place the spreader within a door window opening, open the arms, and crush the door down enough to give you a purchase point near the latch.

Here's the question and then my reply. What do you think??

Hello Ron,
    A question...Do you recommend doing a vertical crush on a vehicle with undeployed curtain airbags?

My Reply:
    In setting up a jammed door on a vehicle when on the side where there is an undeployed roof airbag, YES, it is a concern that the top tip of your spreader does not crush against the stored gas inflator. The good news however, is that there does not seem to be a stored gas inflator up through the 2011 models, located above the front door window opening. The bad news however, is that there are several vehicles out there with an inflator secured horizontally to the roofrail above the rear door window openings. Doing a Vertical Crush on these doors would be a concern so you do not crush or puncture that stored gas inflator; 4,000psi at least.

Solution is that the rescuer with the spreader will have to make sure that an undeployed stored gas inflator is not within the work area when doing a vertical crush evolution. Just an extra step for this task due to changing vehicle technologies...

The image below is of a Jeep Patriot driver's side roof airbag stored gas inflator. You can see how using the power spreader to do a vertical crush could place the top tip onto or into this inflator.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Alternative would be a door pinch, or a haligan
    Rescue Co. 1

I agree with brozt316 that a halligan or a door pinch are "alternatives" to setting up a jammed door for forcing open at the latch. What I disagree with however, is that these techniques would actually be better; especially during a minimum staffing situation.

If a full-size, dedicated power spreader is available and will be needed anyway to work on the door latch, then it is hard to believe that the Halligan or 'pinching and bending' the edge of the door would be a better door set-up plan.

I stand by my belief that what I refer to as the 'vertical crush' technique would be the most efficient and therefore the preferred method of setting up a jammed door on most crash-damaged vehicles.

Try all three techniques next time you are doing extrication training and see if you don't agree...
    Last edited by rmoore; 11-06-2011 at 12:45 AM.
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rmoore View Post
    I agree with brozt316 that a halligan or a door pinch are "alternatives" to setting up a jammed door for forcing open at the latch. What I disagree with however, is that these techniques would actually be better; especially during a minimum staffing situation.

If a full-size, dedicated power spreader is available and will be needed anyway to work on the door latch, then it is hard to believe that the Halligan or 'pinching and bending' the edge of the door would be a better door set-up plan.

I stand by my belief that what I refer to as the 'vertical crush' technique would be the most efficient and therefore the preferred method of setting up a jammed door on most crash-damaged vehicles.

Try all three techniques next time you are doing extrication training and see if you don't agree...
    Ron, how about a fender crush and then working the extrication from the hinges opposite of the Nader Pin? It's a very valid way and works well..... About the only time this would not work to easily would be if you were forcing a backseat door.

Just throwing another idea out there.....
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Thread Information