Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossfit?

I Completely agree. I enjoy wods as a fun exercise but the single biggest contributor to my FIREGROUND fitness is running. Running for distance and speed. The ability to maintain an elevated cardiac threshold for an enormous amount of time is more beneficial to me (everyone is different) than steady "spurts" of effort over a 6-12 minute timespan.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Fire Fuss that is a nice bench. What kind of split did you follow to get that strong and still maintain your cardiovascular fitness?

What's your diet like? I'm currently training for a sub 3hr marathon time while still keeping my lifts above 1000#. It's damn near impossible to keep my times low and my lifts up. Every ~10 minutes I shed off my times is about ~30 pounds off my lifts. I know eating clean is key but are you aimed at certain goals?
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Ive been at 1080 before, 975 now and I'm running ~1:20 16.5 mile training runs so it's entirely possible. With 2 career departments sleep deprivation and steady caloric intake is a major obstacle. Just looking for some insight.

Forum Member

So how many grams of carbohydrates do you figure you are having fire fuss. Thanks

Forum Member

thats why I asked, seemed like not many. I would guess maybe 100 or lower. I am gonna try to stay low carb for a while, thats why I asked.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 10-18-2011 at 01:29 AM.

Forum Member

I am not a workout genius, but I will say for a guy who has worked out for pretty much his whole adult life I will say crossfit is everything it is said to be. I have been doing it for about 1 1/2 years now and I am stronger, faster, and last longer than I ever did on the fireground before.
    I enjoy running the firefighter combat challenge. I usually run the event in Elkton Md ever Sept. I started in 2008 with a time of 3min's 19 sec. This is a slow time. In 2010 I did it in 2min's 23 sec. Not super fast, but pretty good. My improvement I have no doubt is due to crossfit. I will say the routine is tough at times 3 on 1 off can be very rough on the body. Eat and sleep to recover and the results are awsome..
    Last edited by Capt-nj; 10-18-2011 at 11:04 PM.

Forum Member

Been doing it since I was in Iraq, love it. I would recommend buying a bumper set for the garage, as it's a staple that most gyms overly focus on the MetCon, than setting aside days devoted fully to strength. ie: Deadlift 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps or Front squat 2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2 reps.

Being able to supplement it on your own time will help volumes in your gains.

Forum Member

I think many people immortalize their CrossFit results, when in actuality what they're experiencing is "novice effect".

I used to be a hardcore CF evangelist, but when I broke my foot earlier this year I used Starting Strength to help heal up and have since changed my perspective. The more I learn, the less I know.

Hybrid programs (Strength+Conditioning/Metcons) are better for the long term, in my humble opinion.

If you go on the CrossFit discussion boards the general discussions are dominated by threads on hybrid strength programs. Many people have discovered straight mainsite style programming doesn't meet their strength goals.
    Last edited by powerhourcoug; 10-19-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Benny, you mentioned the guys who last a minute but can "bench 400" or so. They just have a misguided idea of what a fireman should be (you were talking about other firemen right?).
    Yeah, I know several guys who think they are in shape SOLELY based on their bench #. Now also, I do know some guys who lift very, very heavy and can go run a decent 5k time on a whim.

I've never actually been a member of a CF gym, but our station has a very great gym, but our biggest asset is a large apron and private drive for outside WODS such as Helen, and several jump boxes, double tire pulls, and other DIY equipment (Bob Vila ain't got nutin on me) . I've been coached by some personal long-time friends who are CF owners/trainer and members and help critique some workouts at our station. Our dept recently got into the FCC in 2010, so that's our training style about 4-5 months out of the year. The rest of the year is a healthy life routine, with fully functional movements that are applicable to every day life and especially on the fireground.

I've raced motocross nearly my whole life, so cardio was my main goal. Until the past few years I've been a stick. I am 6'4" (6'5" depending the measuree) and am now at 200lb. 2 years ago before I changed up my workouts to CF "style" workouts, I was roughly 165..so yeah, I could hide in the shadow of a fence post. I think the CF "style" is good, to be creative with your workout. To not develop trends, monotonous routines, and paces that will create plateaus in your workout.

Our dept had several of the "meat head" type whose workouts consisted of wide-grip bench, close grip bench, and squats. And after 1 set they waited and watched the other guys do the same workout, and repeat. Now granted, their arms are as big as my waist used to be. They could breach a door with ease, and single-man a 2 1/2, but other than that they were spent.

Just gotta mix things up and find what works best for you. I have no desire to ever bench 400 lbs, of course don't think that's in my genes to do so. But I my personal goal is a sub 2:00 in the FCC (on air) before I'm 30. Oh....and to not have a heart attack in my 40's like every other male in my family...

Forum Member

I drank the CrossFit kool-aid but for ME it's worked. I plan on sticking with CF for 3 simple reasons:

1. I'm seeing positive results in my fitness.
    2. I was never good at gauging my results on my own, now I have a number(time, weight or rounds) to gauge improvement
    3. And most importantly: I enjoy doing it.

Forum Member

Fire ALS

Well put!!

Forum Member

I hear ya Fire Fuss.

It doesn't matter where you get the results as you long as you put in the work. Our goal is the same we just differ in the means to get there.

I was merely mentioning to the OP why I stick with CF.

On an unrelated note, it is nice to be away from the typical(not cops or ffs) meatheads. It's nice not having to wait for a squat rack, bench, pull up bar, etc. because the guy on there has to look at himself in the mirror between sets. I don't miss that at all.

I belong to a gym that's 99% populated by college age-30 year old guys and girls. I've never had to wait for a squat rack nor do I get upset when a guy is looking at himself in the mirror. Bodybuilding isn't for me but the dedication it requires is quite admirable. If you're waiting too long or getting too aggravated, you could save a year's worth of gym fees and buy your own equipment.

When I lived in an apartment, I worked out in a storage shed. No AC, no lights, in what was basically an oven. God, those were the days.

Forum Member

tajm- I no longer have that problem since I was looking to switch and stumbled on to a crossfit box. I didn't say nor did I imply the issues I had at my old gym affect all gyms. I merely stated what I liked about switching. The annoying part though is the guys that were into bodybuilding weren't the ones in front of the mirror all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire-ALS View Post
    tajm- I no longer have that problem since I was looking to switch and stumbled on to a crossfit box. I didn't say nor did I imply the issues I had at my old gym affect all gyms. I merely stated what I liked about switching. The annoying part though is the guys that were into bodybuilding weren't the ones in front of the mirror all the time.
    Wasn't really making a dig at your comment, just stating what I've seen. Sorry if it came off that way.

Forum Member

Sorry dude, took it the wrong way.

No worries, cheers.

Didn't feel like starting a new thread so figured I would post in this one:

Can anyone break down the 5/3/1 program for me? I've read up on it online and would like to move that direction, but it seems way too easy. I found a spreadsheet that calculates all the weeks, percentages and weights I should be using, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Can someone who's familiar with it give me a run down of their program so I can compare it to mine?

For instance for week 1 it looks like you do squats, bench, deadlift and shoulder press each on their own day once a week. You do 3 sets of 5 (once each?) at 65%, 75% and 85% of your 1RM?

Something just seems off, but I can't find a clear answer anywhere that I'm looking. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

What don't you understand? The lower efforts? It seems a little counterintuitive...I am getting ready to start 531 myself, after doing Starting Strength and Greyskull LP for a year.

Thread Information