Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crossfit?

Well, it just doesn't seem like I'm lifting enough compared with other lifting regiments.

So according to the program I'm only doing deadlifts, bench, press and squats once a week right? And I follow the percentages of my 1RM for each week according to the program, right? For example: I do 3 sets of 5 (once each) at 65%, 75% and 85% of your 1RM for the first week.

I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that I'm following the program correctly. Since you are just starting, what does your first week look like?

Thanks for the reply, btw.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

Hell yeah Crossfit is the way to go,I did it for 3 years before i got hired and really picked it up before academy.I recently brought a 44lb kettlebell,jump rope,and abmat to my station along with the stuff already there,Its nice to get in a 15-20 min 3 to 5 round metcon WOD.I even got a few guys doing them with me........sometimes

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody View Post
    Well, it just doesn't seem like I'm lifting enough compared with other lifting regiments.

So according to the program I'm only doing deadlifts, bench, press and squats once a week right? And I follow the percentages of my 1RM for each week according to the program, right? For example: I do 3 sets of 5 (once each) at 65%, 75% and 85% of your 1RM for the first week.

I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that I'm following the program correctly. Since you are just starting, what does your first week look like?

Thanks for the reply, btw.
    Sorry for the late response.

For my 531 reps/sets, I follow the spreadsheet listed in the link below:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=72783

For my assistance work, I do one big movement after each lift. The percentages vary, and are listed in Pages 53-57 of the 2nd Edition of 531.

Squat: SL Deadlift
    Press: CG Bench Press
    Bench: Barbell incline bench
    DL: Front squat

Focused assistance work (3x10)

Back: Kroc Rows
    Upper Back: BB Shrugs
    Triceps: Dips
    Biceps: Fat bar curls

I'm going to add in more squats this week (pg 79). I seem to respond better to high volume squatting.

I also condition after my lifts. Prowler pushes, sprints, short/heavy metcons (12-9-6, etc). Usually under 10 minutes.

3 days of hard work. The rest is spent resting, walking (20-30 min/day) and doing mobility work.
    Last edited by powerhourcoug; 02-11-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Forum Member

Default TACFIT Fire Fighter

We spent a lot of time in Whatcom County Washington searching for the "perfect" firefighter physical training program. We tried CrossFit, Core Performance, P90X and a number of other programs with some success. We discovered a program called "TACFIT" in 2005, and we experienced tremendous gains in physical performance and body composition. We conducted an informal study using this program in 2009:

http://tacfitfirefighter.com/2012/04...fit-challenge/

Since then, we have fine tuned this program to meet our occupational needs. We spent 2 years developing a comprehensive physical training program specifically for firefighters. Check out the website:

http://tacfitfirefighter.com/

Forum Member

I thought I would ask this question in here since you guys are familiar with Olympic shoes. Do you guys think it would be a stupid idea to take the Cpat in olympic weight lifting shoes? I was thinking it might be good for the stair climb since they are hard soled and sturdy because of the straps? I have the Nike romelaos.

It seems unnecessary and overkill, but I don't know much about them except that they offer good flexibility and are less spongy like a running shoe. I think you are overthinking things. Do they offer good grip for when you are running and also when you need traction during the dummy drag?
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

I wouldn't wear them for a CPAT. I have the romelaos 2. They weren't designed for anything but the Olympic movements. I would suspect them to uncomfortable and be a hindrance due to the weight if the shoe themselves. Those 3 minutes with the weight of the shoes will add up. Another point is the shoe wasn't designed to worn while doing a lot of walking even.

Forum Member

I actually think they are pretty light. You are right thou, I was over thinking it.

We designed a site that works around the Crossfit routine and geared it using Fire House Equipment. www.SHiftwod.com email us your ideas.

This is an example of one of our workouts pertaining to the Fire House based around Crossfit using Fire Department Equipment.

http://shiftwod.com/main/shift-wod-18/

We have a library of Videos going through each workout routine utilizing Fire Dept. Equipment.

http://shiftwod.com/main/video-library/

Looking for workouts across the country from different professionals, we can post them up on our site giving tactfitfirefighter the credits about the workouts and where they came from.

Forum Member

it revealed me great outcomes and I would reccommend it if you've never frequented a gym Benefits - teachers force you and explain to you appropriate strategy, group environment/timed/competitive, fast outcomes.

Forum Member

Looking for exercises across the nation from different experts, we can publish them up on our website providing firefighter the attributes about the exercises and where they came from.

Thread Information