Thread: Crossfit?

Forum Member

Default Crossfit?

I have been doing circuits for about 6 weeks now and seen some good overall results in my performance, but after reading some different forums i was wondering if crossfit will show me better overall results. Iím not looking to bench 400lbs or run a sub 5 mile, but just trying to push myself.

Forum Member

I did Crossfit at a gym for a while, it showed me good results and I would reccommend it if you've never visited a gym (first workout and visit is always free). Pros - instructors push you and show you correct technique, team environment/timed/competitive, fast results. Cons - expensive, does not (IMO) provide enough aerobic endurance. I found the best results when I went to the gym 2-3 times a week and did more extensive cardio/aerobic exercise like running stairs with the weight vest 2-3 times a week.

Forum Member

CrossFit is a great program. In my humble opinion...if you want the most bang for your buck in terms of job task readiness preparation CrossFit would be a very wise choice.

That being said, CrossFit does have a few weaknesses.

For one, there is not a lot of true strength work involved. I know there are CrossFitters who would argue otherwise...but in my personal experience I was not nearly as strong when I was doing CF 100% of the time. This is coming from a Level 1 trainer.

Now I do a hybrid program that has a strength foundation with CrossFit style conditioning mixed in. It has made a difference in my ability to slam ladders, move hose, etc. Before I had the conditioning...now I have the strength to boot.

Furthermore...there are issues with CrossFit that concern me. High rep kipping pullups, box jumps, and technical movements such as the barbell snatch seem to cause injuries. I have no peer reviewed, scientific evidence to back this up...but have seen quite few issues related to these on the CrossFit message boards. Suffering a SLAP tear from pullups or a blown achilles from too many box jumps would not help your fire service aspirations.

Overall it is an outstanding program. There are many hybrids out there that are as good, if not better. I used to be a blind CrossFit enthusiast on these boards. I still am a big cheerleader...but the more I've learned...the less I know!

Good hybrid programs:

CrossFit Football
    Greyskull LP
    Wendler's 5/3/1

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by powerhourcoug View Post
    CrossFit is a great program. In my humble opinion...if you want the most bang for your buck in terms of job task readiness preparation CrossFit would be a very wise choice.

That being said, CrossFit does have a few weaknesses.

For one, there is not a lot of true strength work involved. I know there are CrossFitters who would argue otherwise...but in my personal experience I was not nearly as strong when I was doing CF 100% of the time. This is coming from a Level 1 trainer.

Now I do a hybrid program that has a strength foundation with CrossFit style conditioning mixed in. It has made a difference in my ability to slam ladders, move hose, etc. Before I had the conditioning...now I have the strength to boot.

Furthermore...there are issues with CrossFit that concern me. High rep kipping pullups, box jumps, and technical movements such as the barbell snatch seem to cause injuries. I have no peer reviewed, scientific evidence to back this up...but have seen quite few issues related to these on the CrossFit message boards. Suffering a SLAP tear from pullups or a blown achilles from too many box jumps would not help your fire service aspirations.

Overall it is an outstanding program. There are many hybrids out there that are as good, if not better. I used to be a blind CrossFit enthusiast on these boards. I still am a big cheerleader...but the more I've learned...the less I know!

Good hybrid programs:

CrossFit Football
    Greyskull LP
    Wendler's 5/3/1
    This. All of it. I would caution against high rep Oly movements, or any Oly movements without expert instruction. A much better option would be to use kettlebells for your high rep metcon stuff.

I remember watching a video on Spealler, where he said that his strength was weak, so every week he does one heavy squat workout, one heavy Oly workout, and one heavy metcon along with all the other high rep stuff. Most people that say they do "Crossfit" are really only doing the high rep stuff, like you might see on CF Endurance.

www.firegroundfitness.com has a good blend, I think. It's run by Rayne Gray, who is on the job in Phoenix.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Member

If I were to do it all over again I would focus on strength first, and begin with a basic barbell linear progression program such as Starting Strength.

A guy who can do 100 burpees in 5:00 or fun a sub 6 minute mile is pretty impressive...but if he is built like a flea he isn't much use on the fireground.

You could literally focus on barbell work for a year and get all the requisite core, lower and upper buddy strength work you need, as well as more cardio work than you would think. Heavy squats and deadlifts will put the lungs to work.

Bottom line...the barbell is king. Anyone who isn't incorporating regular barbell work in squats, bench press, strict press, and deadlifts is f#cking up.

Getting stronger is much more difficult and time consuming than getting fit, and it's much easier to get fit once you're strong.

Forum Member

GymJones.com

Crossfit is ok, but I only recommend it to novices. If you want to get serious gymjones is it.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Theyoungest View Post
    I have been doing circuits for about 6 weeks now and seen some good overall results in my performance, but after reading some different forums i was wondering if crossfit will show me better overall results. Iím not looking to bench 400lbs or run a sub 5 mile, but just trying to push myself.

That is a great mindset to be in... people want to bench a refrigerator to tell all their buddies how much they bench. I know some guys who can bench 400+, but they wear out in about 3 minutes.

Crossfit workouts are great. Any high-intensity interval training is legit. Don't focus on doing muscle groups, do full-functional exercises (i.e. CrossFit)

Forum Member

If I were to do it all over again I would focus on strength first, and begin with a basic barbell linear progression program such as Starting Strength.

A guy who can do 100 burpees in 5:00 or fun a sub 6 minute mile is pretty impressive...but if he is built like a flea he isn't much use on the fireground.

You could literally focus on barbell work for a year and get all the requisite core, lower and upper buddy strength work you need, as well as more cardio work than you would think. Heavy squats and deadlifts will put the lungs to work.

Bottom line...the barbell is king. Anyone who isn't incorporating regular barbell work in squats, bench press, strict press, and deadlifts is f#cking up.

Getting stronger is much more difficult and time consuming than getting fit, and it's much easier to get fit once you're strong.
    I am doing SS but getting too heavy. I really need to focus on conditioning, any suggestions on how I can still do both? with slightly more focus on conditioning and weight loss.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 09-29-2011 at 09:11 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JT_Fire_2000 View Post
    GymJones.com

Crossfit is ok, but I only recommend it to novices. If you want to get serious gymjones is it.
    Truth. Some of their WOD's are straight up brutal. Only really worth it if you have a suitable home gym.

Gym jones puts crossfit to shame on some of their wods. Hopefully the head honchos won't sell their soul like crossfit did...
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I am doing SS but getting too heavy. I really need to focus on conditioning, any suggestions on how I can still do both? with slightly more focus on conditioning and weight loss.
    Have you hit a reset on SS yet? Are you following the program as prescribed, and have you progressed to advanced novice and pared down your squat days to 1-2/week? If you're still getting stronger...maybe try and hang on for a few more weeks?

In terms of strength+conditioning programs...here are a few good options (google them):

Greyskull LP
    Texas Method
    CrossFit Football
    70's Big
    5/3/1
    OPT Big Dawgs

I just realized I already posted these above...
    Last edited by powerhourcoug; 09-29-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    Truth. Some of their WOD's are straight up brutal. Only really worth it if you have a suitable home gym.

Gym jones puts crossfit to shame on some of their wods. Hopefully the head honchos won't sell their soul like crossfit did...
    Yes...I heard "300 FY" is a m#ther****er...

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, twight can come up with some ****. This was last weeks:

Workout:
    3x5 Wall Squat
    3x10 Squat
    3x20m Walking Lunge
    3x20m OH Walking Lunge
    Then:
    Work up to Heavy Front Squat
    Then:
    5x2 Front Squat @ 80% 1RM
    Rest 3 minutes between sets
    Then:
    10x Goblet Squat @ 70# +
    30sec Frog Hop +
    30sec Rest
    Ten Rounds
    Then:
    20x Speed Squat @ BB & 40# of Chain +
    40sec Rest
    Six Rounds

I went to the 3 day camp, the first day was basically like doing 10 angies throughout the course of the day. Then we did nothing but every kind of squat the following day. Goblets, front, zercher, hack, wall....oh god I get sick thinking of it.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

I have to admit I am not following the program as prescribed. I am one of those people who bench almost as much as I squat. I have been working on squat form for a while. I will check out those links thanks. I am contemplating trying higher rep squats for a while.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 09-30-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Forum Member

I agree with the posters who recommend Starting Strength, particularly if you aren't strong to begin with. I was doing a ton of cardio for a couple months, and then switched almost purely to just SS. For two months I did not run or swim, just lifted 3x a week. My mile time stayed nearly exactly the same (~6:55) and my 100m swim time actually improved by 10 seconds (1:45 to 1:35). Now neither of these times are going to turn any heads or win you any triathlons, but it does show (at least in one example) that SS by itself does contribute to at least adequate cardiovascular fitness.

Forum Member

Very good article, very relevant to this discussion:

http://www.startingstrength.com/arti...ve_gillian.pdf

Forum Member

I'd recommend anyone thinking of trying crossfit to review THIS before starting.

Forum Member

Very good article, very relevant to this discussion:

http://www.startingstrength.com/arti...ve_gillian.pdf
    She has a huge upper body.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    She has a huge upper body.
    Would you?

MembersZone Subscriber

One thing I will point out, you need to already be fit to follow Crossfit as prescribed. If you jump into the high rep stuff it has you doing, it'll be a recipe for injury. Have a good strong base and proper form before starting full-on.

Starting strength above is good, but also training someone who knows Crossfit who can adust the workouts for you is a good thing. Doing a couple months at a local Crossfit gym (with a good trainer) would be very helpful if you want to really follow the main page workouts.

Forum Member

Would you?
    Depends, Would any one find out? lol na I would, I googled her and shes not bad looking at all. She is pretty feminine for a ex bodybuilder.

on another note I am thinking switching my squats to higher reps, gonna keep trying 3x10.

MembersZone Subscriber

I Completely agree. I enjoy wods as a fun exercise but the single biggest contributor to my FIREGROUND fitness is running. Running for distance and speed. The ability to maintain an elevated cardiac threshold for an enormous amount of time is more beneficial to me (everyone is different) than steady "spurts" of effort over a 6-12 minute timespan.

Forum Member

Fire Fuss that is a nice bench. What kind of split did you follow to get that strong and still maintain your cardiovascular fitness?

MembersZone Subscriber

What's your diet like? I'm currently training for a sub 3hr marathon time while still keeping my lifts above 1000#. It's damn near impossible to keep my times low and my lifts up. Every ~10 minutes I shed off my times is about ~30 pounds off my lifts. I know eating clean is key but are you aimed at certain goals?

MembersZone Subscriber

Ive been at 1080 before, 975 now and I'm running ~1:20 16.5 mile training runs so it's entirely possible. With 2 career departments sleep deprivation and steady caloric intake is a major obstacle. Just looking for some insight.

Forum Member

So how many grams of carbohydrates do you figure you are having fire fuss. Thanks

Thread Information