Thread: rescue ideas

Forum Member

Default rescue ideas

a general census as to what most departments use for rescues good, bad, or indifferent and any specialized set up in compartments and tool layouts
    thanks

Forum Member

Since your PM function isn't enabled, send me an email and I will gladly help you out!

backsteprescue@yahoo.com
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

need more info:
    is rescue an ambulance or a rescue truck?
    What are you using it for?
    Is it a replacement, if so what is it replacing?
    Commercial vs fire cab/chassis?
    walk in, walk around?
    how big a body?

Forum Member

Our current rescue was put into service in 1999. It is a 16' walk around Toyne on a Freightliner 4 door chassis. We are looking at replacing it in the next few years so we discuss it off an on. The following view are mine only.

Like the walk around body. Majority of equipment is accessible from ground level. Hose reels come off of the rear out of a center compartment. We have two coffin compartment on the officer side accessible from a walkway on the top. Ladders are accessible from the rear, opposite the coffin compartments. We built this truck with room to grow and it has been FULL for several years now. Anticipate need for new equipment that is acquired over the service life of the apparatus.

We have a receiver hitch on all four sides of the truck. This provides for moving the receiver mounted winch to all sides. Use of "cloverleaf" anchor points that fit into the receiver hitch provide great options.

Hate the Freightliner chassis. Next one needs to be a custom. Six guys instead of 5, more room, shorter length to allow for extended bumper, etc.

We have a two bottle (4,500 psi each) cascade with hose reel that slides from driver to officer side. Nice option we'll probable keep on the next one.

We have a pump with 300 gallons water, two 20 gallon foam cells. We've only ever filled one foam cell. Pump seems to get used about once a year. Preconnect is in the transverse compartment behind the cab. Takes up space, pain to reload, doesn't get pulled like it should as a result. Next truck will probably have the pump and water. Best option I've heard yet is the preconnect in the tail board. Easy to pull, easy to reload but still out of the way.

I'd like to see an extended front bumper for at least hydraulic reels.

I'd keep the walk around with the coffin compartments and ladder storage up top. Equipment that is not used routinely but good to have when you need it. Same goes for receiver mounts and winch.

Biggest change would be specific slots for air bags and tools. I really like the slide out drawers that span the width of the truck and come out on either side.

You can never have enough lights. Both extendable, tripod and the "ambulance" style on the body that illuminate the area immediately around the truck.

My pet project since we are talking "wish list". At least one hand cart that is loaded with cribbing. Pull it off of the truck and deliver a serious amount of cribbing to the vehicle(s) with just one guy.

Hope this helps. If you have questions let me know.

Walt.
    Last edited by FFWALT; 10-14-2011 at 11:54 PM.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

Walt,be CAREFUL using the Cloverleaf as the Point for the dead end of the line. They aren't DESIGNED for that. Some are better than others.They were designed as safety chain/cable attachment points for a ROLLING load,which isn't ALWAYS the case using the winch. T.C.

Forum Member

T.C.,

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. Here is a picture of what I am referring to. It consist of 3 solid steel rings welded onto a 2" receiver hitch.

This one happens to be used for training at our training grounds. Even though the receiver is welded to the beam we used cable as a safety. We do something similar on calls and in training to "Bomb Proof" the set up. We can run ropes through the ring and to another anchor point in case the pin or something was to break.

Thanks for the info.

Walt
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFWALT View Post
    T.C.,

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. Here is a picture of what I am referring to. It consist of 3 solid steel rings welded onto a 2" receiver hitch.

This one happens to be used for training at our training grounds. Even though the receiver is welded to the beam we used cable as a safety. We do something similar on calls and in training to "Bomb Proof" the set up. We can run ropes through the ring and to another anchor point in case the pin or something was to break.

Thanks for the info.

Walt
    That's custom built AND well engineered I might add. I've seen a bunch of these and MOST are standard/lightly modified production units. Which is OK if you aren't loading them heavy. I have a habit of working everything I own to the limit on occasion,so I'm pretty fussy what I backhaul to. If you go to shows,look around you'll see what I mean. Thanks for the Pic, T.C.

Thread Information