Thread: Afghanistan

Forum Member

Default Afghanistan

Can someone who has ACTUALLY worked in Afghanistan for ITT provide me with some information as to living conditions and pay. Please respond ONLY if you have worked there, as this will enable me to make a better informed decision. Thanks

Forum Member

Did you get an offer?

Forum Member

if you do a search there are comments

Forum Member

I sometimes wonder why folks worry what living is like in a WAR zone... but hey not everyone likes to live in tents or b-huts. Obviously you want to come over to make the money so the pay will make it bearable. Keep an open mind but do not expect great living.

Living GREATLY varies base to base. The site I was on had us in transient type tents off duty, sharing an open space (on army style cots) with up to 20 others until you were high enough on the list to get a small 7x7 room in a 10 person wooden b-hut. This was off-duty and approximately 1/2 mile from the station. We had to walk it when off but it was not bad as long as you enjoy the body armor too, lol.

On duty the ff's shared an open b-hut (20 people). It was bunk beds through-out and just 3 feet separating you from "next door" neighbor. Since we worked 48 on, 24 off it would be first shift top bunk, lower bunk second shift and on that rotation (third day off).

We had very limited MWR recreation (basically a phone/ internet room) but a decent gym next to the station. Dining was ample and you never go hungry. We had internet at the station which was sufficient but would go down from time to time.

Some of the guys lived closer to the station in sectioned off private rooms in tents.

Cell phones work well and reasonable to text/ call the states but there are voip lines to use.

Also the shower and latrine units are shared by up to 400 people off duty area, by station about 150!

Good luck...

Now keep in mind some sites are a lot better than others and I can only speak for the site I was on.
    Thank you to the brave men and women of our great military, past, present and future for allowing my right to express my opinion and my opinion only, not representation of any company I may work for.

Forum Member

Default overseas firefighting

Thank you for the information. I have worked contract firefighting before and spent 3 years in Baghdad. I asked about Afghanistan simply because I wanted to know how the living conditions. Baghdad was built up much better, however, we have been there much linger. I simply wanted to confirm what I had already suspected. Thanks again for your honest and unbiased opinion. It is refreshing to hear facts instead of the constant complaints from firefighters. By the way, what site were you assigned?

Forum Member

Military wise we have been in Afghan longer (since October 2001, Iraq 2003), just was not built up like Iraq. These contracts will start to become scarce and I believe there will be a push by ITT to bring in OCN's as FF's, like Dyncorp in the south.

I was in Jalalabad, FOB Fenty.
    Thank you to the brave men and women of our great military, past, present and future for allowing my right to express my opinion and my opinion only, not representation of any company I may work for.

Forum Member

EMTGUY what type of cell phones are being used in AFG that work well? Anybody with Iphones or HTC type smartphones? or just the the hodji phones bought at the lil stores.

Forum Member

Default cell phones

That is a great question. In Iraq, we had to buy our phones locally. I was akso wondering if my Ipad would work as far as Internet access. Maybe someone can answer my question as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default cell phones and iPads

any cell phone will work in afghanistan, just need to get a sim card when you hit kabul or kaf. Otherwise I have used my Dubai Etisalat card when I was in Kaf and it worked well too. Some bases have cell phones jammed. My base is that way so no cell phone works unless your standing on top of the building to get out of the jamming range, you see the afghan soldiers doing it all the time, they stand on top of a 3 story building all day with their cell phnes raise up. Ipads work well on the wifi signal, but will have the same problem as cell phones if you plan on using your sim card. Do not buy an iphone or ipad in Dubai, the country blocks facetime, and the program is not loaded on the device and the serial number will prevent you from downloading facetime to it even when your back in the US.

Forum Member

Default cell phones

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the information.

Forum Member

Default Need Help Please

Hi I'm new to this forum and have just recieved and accepted a job offer with ITT in Afghanistan. I am waiting to take my medical exam and just recieved a deployment checklist from my recruiter. This list of stuff he said to take with me seems to be a bit much and it sounds like alot of stuff that i will never use. Can anyone offer any advice on what I should pack to take with me when i deploy. Also I have a question about uniforms...recruiter says that I have to buy cargo pants and t-shirts as a uniform others have told me that they are issued which is right? Any information that anyone can help with will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    David Marker

Forum Member

Default afghanistan

Anyone who worked in afghanistan, please provide some info as to packing. I worked in Iraq and understand some things to pack. However, just wondering what other things I might need. Does the PX have some of the things I might need? Or, should I just mail a box to myself later.

Thread Information