Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Unemployment= volunteers?

MembersZone Subscriber

I really hope you reread what you just posted and take out the part of "the unemployed are drawing benefits, and are content with that". I know you're not that stupid. Have fun with your ignorance, I'm not in the mood to argue with a person who has your childlike mentality.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

This post is really, pretty lame. I'm unemployed, I volunteer, I use it to help fill the gap in my resume, I'm using it to explore, train, and get certified in a new career field, and I use it to network with people within the commmunity to perhaps open doors for me job wise that may not have been opened before. I feel that if you are unemployed, and do or do not collect benifits the least that you can do, as a american, is to give back to your community weather it be a volunteer firefighter, or picking up trash along the roadway, or starting a neighborhood watch, even meals on wheels.

Just saying

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    I really hope you reread what you just posted and take out the part of "the unemployed are drawing benefits, and are content with that". I know you're not that stupid. Have fun with your ignorance, I'm not in the mood to argue with a person who has your childlike mentality.
    I'm really not sure what you are argueing about.

If a member of the community has the time and the interest to become a meber of the local VFD, why they have the time or if they are employed or not is honestly not the business of the department.

If they are unemployed, and choose not to spend the time looking for work, but instead choose to join the local VFD as a result of our normal recruiting effort, that is not the department's business. Last time I checked, being unemployed was not a disqualifying factor for being a member of a VFD, and by the way, it's not the role of the fire department, it's members or it's officers to decide if someone who may be unemployed should or should not be looking for work rather than being at the station.

Again I'm really not sure what the arguement is about. The OP simply asked if it was ok for a VFD to increase it's recruiting efforts during a period of higher unemployment in thier area. I see no issues with that.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 10-03-2011 at 02:55 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Just so you know...I have been a volunteer for 29 years now.
    Have you also been unemployed for 29 years? If not, then your comment is irrelevant.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Well considering the majority of all the county is covered by volunteers and volunteers do make up the larger percentage of firefighters I think they hold some importance in our world today. Are there bad volunteers? Yes, but I have seen some career folk that scared the tar out me with their tactics and behavior too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireRescueLupo View Post
    Well considering the majority of all the county is covered by volunteers and volunteers do make up the larger percentage of firefighters I think they hold some importance in our world today. Are there bad volunteers? Yes, but I have seen some career folk that scared the tar out me with their tactics and behavior too.
    The majority of the country's cities may be protected by volunteers, but the majority of the country's population (you know, folks who actually call 911) are protected by professionals.

MembersZone Subscriber

do you have a point or are you just rambling again?
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    do you have a point or are you just rambling again?
    Yes, and no to your questions. Don't blame me if you don't understand.

MembersZone Subscriber

You're right. I forgot how you're the smartest person whose ever lived. I can't wait for Arizona Bay.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    The majority of the country's cities may be protected by volunteers, but the majority of the country's population (you know, folks who actually call 911) are protected by professionals.
    So where do the poor patrons of your area come in?

And folks who actually call 911? You mean they don't call 911 where there are volunteers? Or do you mean more medicaid taxi calls go to 911? As the majority of our region is protected by volunteers that do their service in a very professional manner, can we just shut down the 911 centers?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    So where do the poor patrons of your area come in?

And folks who actually call 911? You mean they don't call 911 where there are volunteers? Or do you mean more medicaid taxi calls go to 911? As the majority of our region is protected by volunteers that do their service in a very professional manner, can we just shut down the 911 centers?
    You are right in a way SC ...

However, when the forest is burning maybe the trees don't call 911, but the people do. When the train derails 10 miles from nowhere, it's not the train that calls 911, but the people do.

Same with those pesky tornados, hurricanes and floods.

Your ignorange of what the volunteers do and how well they generally do it continues to astound me, though by now, it's not a surprise.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I know one thing....If god forbid I lose my job, the last phucking place I am going to be is at the VFD waiting for the big one. My azz is going to be pounding the pavement finding work to pay the mortgage and feed the kids.
    Considder it networking: You could hand out your resume at all the Alarm system calls the FD responds to.. "Well Mr. SmallBusinessOwner, it appears the system was set off when your secretary burnt popcorn in the microwave. I suggest firing her. Oh, By the way, here is my resume."
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

With all due respect to my VFD, I'll be looking for a job not spending time with them at the station. Sure most places are open during normal business times Monday through Friday, 9 to 5 and then and only then would I spend time with my VFD. I have other priorities on my mind and they will just have to understand that I have to keep the roof over the family as well as food on the table.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I know one thing....If god forbid I lose my job, the last phucking place I am going to be is at the VFD waiting for the big one. My azz is going to be pounding the pavement finding work to pay the mortgage and feed the kids.
    True, though there is one caveat. Several news and blog sites that I've read over the past year have recommended volunteering or donating time when unemployed to obtain new skills or employment. While I certainly would advocate continuing to search for a new job, consider some of the benefits of volunteering:

1. You demonstrate your ability or desire to continue to be involved in something. As an employer, that's something I'd look at. Times are tough, but sitting on your butt doing nothing isn't good either.

2. Certification (EMS, health care, fire, etc) that can be used to gain employment. We have several high school graduates with no other education on our department who have joined, obtained their EMT/Paramedic through affiliation with our department, and have made a career of it.

If I lost my job, I wouldn't be down at the VFD 40 hours a week.. but I guarantee if I didn't have somewhere else to be (other than spending time with my family), I'd be sucking up every training and certification I could get to pad my resume.

Forum Member

Where are they?

Forum Member

I think the guy is right, unemployment can mean more volunteers only if the attitude of the society is highly positive.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dpqmw80 View Post
    I think the guy is right, unemployment can mean more volunteers only if the attitude of the society is highly positive.
    Or if it's legislated:
    Georgia Lawmaker Wants Jobless to Volunteer in Exchange for Benefits
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

What a great idea! Require that or that they are in job-skill training. Drug testing as well.

Forum Member

obviously this is a way dead thread and the discussion is LONG over. BUT! Why doesn't the volunteer fire department become paid and then there are less unemployed people and no need to attempt recruitment for more volunteers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Truck-10-VES View Post
    obviously this is a way dead thread and the discussion is LONG over. BUT! Why doesn't the volunteer fire department become paid and then there are less unemployed people and no need to attempt recruitment for more volunteers.
    Well, lots of answers, but first is that the government, particularly local and state governments, can't just print money. The volunteer departments operate on limited budgets from the local government. Going to a paid department would in most cases more than double the cost of operating. In a lot of places, the call volume doesn't justify that type of expense.

Forum Member

Why doesn't the volunteer fire department become paid and then there are less unemployed people and no need to attempt recruitment for more volunteers.
    Who's going to pay for a paid department? Costs big money...much more money than a small volunteer station with a couple or three older trucks to serve a call volume of one or two per week in an area with a fairly small population.

Forum Member

Obviously this guy has no clue about how budgets work and how most syrburban and rural departments are simply not funded, and in many if not most cases, never will be to operate with paid staffs.

Forum Member

Actually, I am very educated on fire department administration. Thank you for your attempted insult though.

Thread Information