Forum Member

Default Best Fire Fighter Written Test Study Book

Hi everyone I have some tests coming up in a few months and was wondering what is the best Written Test Study Book that I can get? Planning on studying my but off. I am very confident in my math skills but reading and writing are another story. As for the personal relations questions I could use some help on what they are looking for with those. Thank You.

Forum Member

Pm me and I'll give u a few of my secrets

Cbar84

MembersZone Subscriber

Smoke Your Firefighter Written Exam and Smoke Your Firefighter Interview by Paul Lepore was very helpful in me capturing my dream job.

Forum Member

Don Mcnea.

Forum Member

Default My 2 cents

I've used Barron's and Norman Hall's fire study guides and had good luck with exams with those. Barron's covers some things that the Norman Hall's doesn't and the other way around. I would recommend getting a few just to make sure all areas are covered and you should be good. Make copies of the answer bubble sheets and you can use these for years and years.

I use the Norman Hall one more because I find it is more like the tests that I take in my area. I've found that Barron's seems to be more of an east coast type test prep book (but I'm sure it isn't limited to only that area and I have still found it helpful).

If you go to amazon for most of their test prep books you can see the first couple of pages and see the table of contents and what areas they focus on. Here is the NH one and the Barron's one.

Good luck.

Edit: Oh wait... you said you were testing in the Colorado area too in another forum. Forget what I said.... those won't help you at all. Don't even bother.
    Last edited by yjbrody; 09-29-2011 at 03:21 PM.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody View Post
    I've used Barron's and Norman Hall's fire study guides and had good luck with exams with those. Barron's covers some things that the Norman Hall's doesn't and the other way around. I would recommend getting a few just to make sure all areas are covered and you should be good. Make copies of the answer bubble sheets and you can use these for years and years.

I use the Norman Hall one more because I find it is more like the tests that I take in my area. I've found that Barron's seems to be more of an east coast type test prep book (but I'm sure it isn't limited to only that area and I have still found it helpful).

If you go to amazon for most of their test prep books you can see the first couple of pages and see the table of contents and what areas they focus on. Here is the NH one and the Barron's one.

Good luck.

Edit: Oh wait... you said you were testing in the Colorado area too in another forum. Forget what I said.... those won't help you at all. Don't even bother.
    I guess this won't help me either. lol

Thanks man I was just looking into this stuff. Mainly cause DFD time is coming around again. You did pretty well one time with them didn't you?
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    I guess this won't help me either. lol

Thanks man I was just looking into this stuff. Mainly cause DFD time is coming around again. You did pretty well one time with them didn't you?
    Haha. Yup, don't even bother.

Yeah, these books have been great for preparing for certain depts, but come up lacking for others in this area utilizing different types of test [cough,cough]FireTeam[cough].

Last time I did DFD's test I did well, but don't remember what my score was exactly. Somewhere in the Mid 90's only got me to rank 166 though. Tough to complete with the vet pts and the language pts. Wish they had persistence pts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody View Post
    Haha. Yup, don't even bother.

Yeah, these books have been great for preparing for certain depts, but come up lacking for others in this area utilizing different types of test [cough,cough]FireTeam[cough].

Last time I did DFD's test I did well, but don't remember what my score was exactly. Somewhere in the Mid 90's only got me to rank 166 though. Tough to complete with the vet pts and the language pts. Wish they had persistence pts.
    Ya I dont think there is anything out there that could help with that other test. But I fair pretty well with it. Made C band with AFD. If the run one more academy after this planned one. I stand a chance at getting a call to move on. (one can hope)

I feel you on the vet and language points. There is a reason why I am learning another language right now. DFD is one of my dream departments.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

are certain books designed for certain areas/states? anyone have any suggestions for a civil service exam in new york state? I'd appreciate any help

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by esilliman View Post
    are certain books designed for certain areas/states? anyone have any suggestions for a civil service exam in new york state? I'd appreciate any help
    They won't ever be labeled as such, but I think they just end up being that way based on the authors research. Other's can chime in but the Barron's one that I linked to above seems to be more of an east coast styled test from what I've heard and seen myself. That's why I got that one and another figuring there were benefits of practicing both. Just my opinion.

Good luck

Forum Member

Baron's has a pretty good one I think....

Thread Information