Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    140

    Default Aerial set-up time video

    I came across this video of a timed event of a Sutphen midmount vs I believe a E-One rear mount. Interesting video.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_WIh...layer_embedded


  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    So of Can. / N. of Mexico
    Posts
    869

    Cool Not buying it.

    Quote Originally Posted by taskforce16 View Post
    I came across this video of a timed event of a Sutphen midmount vs I believe a E-One rear mount. Interesting video.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_WIh...layer_embedded
    I don't think the members operating the E-One aerial could have moved any slower or been any more nonchalant. It's obvious they were set up to be the slower machine in this quote "comparison video". Sorry, not buying it.

    The attached video is a more realistic representation.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p6Z4uQeJL88

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    140

    Default

    I totally agree. The second video is much more realistic.

    Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    I don't think the members operating the E-One aerial could have moved any slower or been any more nonchalant. It's obvious they were set up to be the slower machine in this quote "comparison video". Sorry, not buying it.

    The attached video is a more realistic representation.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p6Z4uQeJL88

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taskforce16 View Post
    I came across this video of a timed event of a Sutphen midmount vs I believe a E-One rear mount. Interesting video.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_WIh...layer_embedded
    I know you didnt create this video, you merely found it and posted it. Obviously this video is to show Sutphen come out ahead, hence it is posted by "Sutphen Corporation"

    First off, comparing a Mid Mount to a Rear Mount is obviously different in jacking operations. Anyone who has ever worked aerials, knows that.

    These one the E-One were either not bright, or never worked with the truck. also wasted putting a helmet on, and chocking the front tire? 15 seconds wasted there.

    Additionally, the guys from the E-one didn't hit the ground until second 4, they also weren't trained in proper plate placement. If you take a plate out, and place the corner on the ground and rotate the plate 90` and drop it flat, it will lay in perfect position every time! That is why the plates were sized that way. It takes approx. 3 seconds each plate to place, if you have 2 guys you can drop the all 4 plates in less than 7 seconds. Also they waste from 39 seconds to 59 seconds for adjusting plate placement.

    I have been an operator a duplicate of this E-one (2002 95ft HP Quint). I have been timed many times with a full crew and operator only. With a crew, with full gear, on a job, with 3-men doing engine ops and 2 men doing roof ops, 1min 13 is my WORST time.

    Without gear, with two men it can be done in under 60 seconds.

    here is the only video I can find on E-one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Z4uQeJL88


    I merely point all this out, BECAUSE I find it comical, how Sutphen is trying to show up E-One and they produced the video to benefit their product.

    Next trip up to jersey, I will go to my old house and shoot a few videos

  5. #5
    Forum Member SCOOBY14B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    360

    Default

    I agree that the E-one crew was way too slow.

    I'll also say that I can get out and the tailboard FF sets the jackpad and he and the captain head for the bucket. As soon as they are in the bucket, the truck is ready to go in the air (both sides pinned).

    I've had our truck setup, pinned, and ready to go in the air (from seated and belted) in as little as 23 seconds. That is with a FF doing the officer's side pad and pin. This is on an SP95.

  6. #6
    Forum Member CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,229

    Default

    I'm throwing the bs flag on this one. It is apparent who put this comparison on.

    I or anyone can do the same thing, with any apparatus maker that are similar to have the one they want the win do so.


    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  7. #7
    Forum Member GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,056

    Default

    This has already been discussed on Sutphen's Facebook I believe. The E-One crew had no idea what they were doing. I drive a HP95 every third day and it can be done much quicker than that.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Phila Burbs
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Definetly BS....I drive one everyday for the last 8 years and it is much faster then demonstrated. It appears as if the E-One crew was a local fire depratment crew that has rules to follow (I.E. place wheel chocks, required certain PPE, etc.) and that the Sutphen crew was dealers with no rules. While I am not a big fan of our E-One, you have to be very happy with the jacking system when compared to the others on the market.

  9. #9
    Forum Member JayDudley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,272

    Default Comparison

    No need for me to dog pile here......apples and oranges and one sided.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

  10. #10
    Forum Member DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,583

    Default

    Posted by oper77
    These one the E-One were either not bright, or never worked with the truck. also wasted putting a helmet on, and chocking the front tire? 15 seconds wasted there.
    Chocking the wheels is an integral part of every fire op for SAFETY!

    I noticed that the operators of the Sutphen didn't chock the wheels and appears to have short jacked the rig... and we know what can happen when they do that... look at this Sutphen

    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  11. #11
    Forum Member GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,056

    Default

    Some of you don't put down wheel chocks? Seriously?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    308

    Default

    We did a time comparison with our neighboring fire district on a stuphen mid vs pierce rear mount. The pierce is run by a company who uses and trains more on theirs. The stuphen still beat the pierce.

  13. #13
    Forum Member SCOOBY14B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Posted by oper77

    Chocking the wheels is an integral part of every fire op for SAFETY!

    I noticed that the operators of the Sutphen didn't chock the wheels and appears to have short jacked the rig... and we know what can happen when they do that... look at this Sutphen

    The crew didn't short jack. The outriggers are at full spread. This is proven when the bucket man comes out of the bed before the pedestal man is in place. There are two overrides on the Sutphen (one on pedestal and the other at the outrigger panel). Both switches must be pressed at the same time. The over-ride can be "fooled" at the pedestal, but not the bucket!!

  14. #14
    Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SCOOBY14B View Post
    The crew didn't short jack. The outriggers are at full spread. This is proven when the bucket man comes out of the bed before the pedestal man is in place. There are two overrides on the Sutphen (one on pedestal and the other at the outrigger panel). Both switches must be pressed at the same time. The over-ride can be "fooled" at the pedestal, but not the bucket!!
    From this 2008 story from Firefighter Close Calls, it appears that the jacks weren't spread - as stated by the operator of the vehicle. The photos seem to show the same - they're clearly still nested.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Some of you don't put down wheel chocks? Seriously?

    never seen chocks put down for our engines or trucks. I would be surprised to see any of our guys put chocks down unless we were on a steep hill.

  16. #16
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northeast Coast
    Posts
    3,820

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SCOOBY14B View Post
    The crew didn't short jack. The outriggers are at full spread.
    Uh, did you see that picture? Did the outrigger on the right side snap off? We of course know from the original article what the case was, but I'd think you could readily see the err of your post?

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    never seen chocks put down for our engines or trucks. I would be surprised to see any of our guys put chocks down unless we were on a steep hill.
    I bet the operators manual on your rigs state to put wheel chocks down.

  18. #18
    Forum Member CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    never seen chocks put down for our engines or trucks. I would be surprised to see any of our guys put chocks down unless we were on a steep hill.
    It's always been the procedure to chock the wheels over this way in our FD.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  19. #19
    Forum Member SCOOBY14B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    From this 2008 story from Firefighter Close Calls, it appears that the jacks weren't spread - as stated by the operator of the vehicle. The photos seem to show the same - they're clearly still nested.
    Go back and read Gonzo's post. He was referring to the video posted, as was I. The outriggers are NOT short jacked.

  20. #20
    Forum Member SCOOBY14B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Uh, did you see that picture? Did the outrigger on the right side snap off? We of course know from the original article what the case was, but I'd think you could readily see the err of your post?
    No "err" in my post. Read my reply above.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 08-13-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-14-2005, 01:09 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 04-17-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 07:05 PM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 06-17-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 08:10 AM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 03-13-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 09:41 PM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 12-20-03
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-21-2003, 10:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts