Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Hialeah FD plans to layoff?

I'm surprised no one has posted any information about this.. what do you guys think?

Forum Member

I find it hard to believe honestly. It said they are laying off 100 which is 39% of the department. So how are they going to operate?

Forum Member

Forum Member

That really stinks. Hopefully other depts won't be doing the same thing. Another thing is that now, a lot of qualified FF's with experience will be looking for work now too.

MembersZone Subscriber

The number is 105, or approximately 40% of our department. It is no longer a rumor or a "plan", my last shift was this Wednesday (I am one of the first 35 being laid off, eliminated, terminated, fired or whatever else you want to call it). The first 35 are eliminated effective this Saturday October 1st, 2011. The following 35 will be eliminated on December 1st, 2011 and the last 35 on March 1st, 2012. These 105 positions include members that were hired over 8 years ago. The budget was approved on Wednesday night by the council, 7 in favor and 0 against, all while the INTERIM Mayor Carlos Hernandez sat back and grinned.

Forum Member

Best sayings from that night
    " Mr Mayor, id like to know (he cuts the guy off with a smerky attitude " does this pertain to transportation were done with Fire" ) Yes sir it does.. Id like to know what kind of transportation hes going to need to attend all the funerals that will happen because of the decision made tonight.."

" Yea yea.. you guys are all going to learn by example and yea you dont give a **** because you guys dont even live in the city mr interim mayor...You have a home in the gables.. you dont live on E 5street! I hope someone you love dies, then youll understand"

Forum Member

This is unbelievable what is happening. I just don't understand why and how the mayor and city council members can actually do this. Are they insane??!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FFMedicMiami View Post
    Best sayings from that night
    ....I hope someone you love dies, then youll understand"
    You really want to claim this as one of the best sayings of the night?

Really?

Maybe the Mayor is right and some of these guys do need to go if that's what they think and feel.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    You really want to claim this as one of the best sayings of the night?

Really?

Maybe the Mayor is right and some of these guys do need to go if that's what they think and feel.
    Just to clarify, this was NOT said by one of our guys. Someone from the public said this.

Forum Member

Yea it wasnt said by one of the Hialeah Fire Department guys because.. on top of getting there *** stomped publicly there not allowed to say things of that nature.
    The guy that said it was only making it a point.. i have the recording. He said " You guys unfortunately are going to make a decision that affects the lives of countless women and children .. (the mayor was smiling) the guy said " yea keep smiling Mr. Mayor.. you dont care because you dont live in Hialeah.. you have a home in the gables. So in spirit of the danger that your putting our families in .. I hope someone YOU love dies."
    I dont think that was in any way out of line..
    They dont care that people are being put in danger.. i live in Hialeah and have a family to worry about..where do you live?!

Forum Member

That's just crazy. How many people are they going to have on each shift at each station. What happens if there is a large fire or hell a fire at all.

Forum Member

Its a shame the city is doing this. A lot of great men and women will be losing their jobs over political BS.
    I have been in a similar situation and all I can say is keep your head up, better yourself and do not get mad at your union or the senior guys for not negotiating to keep you. Bending over backwards and giving stuff up is not the answer. You will all get your jobs back, but pay and benefits that are given up will be gone forever.
    I have several friends that work for HFD whom are being laid off and I know many of them are now looking to apply to more "stable" departments. I say it like that because no one knows now who the next department will be to fall, but if you do some looking, you'll see that not all cities are as mismanaged as Hialeah and some even appreciate their firefighters.
    Good luck to all those affected.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by The5thBattalion View Post
    Its a shame the city is doing this. A lot of great men and women will be losing their jobs over political BS.
    I have been in a similar situation and all I can say is keep your head up, better yourself and do not get mad at your union or the senior guys for not negotiating to keep you. Bending over backwards and giving stuff up is not the answer. You will all get your jobs back, but pay and benefits that are given up will be gone forever.
    I have several friends that work for HFD whom are being laid off and I know many of them are now looking to apply to more "stable" departments. I say it like that because no one knows now who the next department will be to fall, but if you do some looking, you'll see that not all cities are as mismanaged as Hialeah and some even appreciate their firefighters.
    Good luck to all those affected.
    Thanks for the support.

I want to also clarify that the 23 being eliminated Oct. 1st (as well as the rest of the 105) are on the same page as the union. This has brought our department together in such a way that it is truly inspiring. You have guys that have been on for 20+ years out in the streets passing out flyers and supporting us any way they can. Things have been offered to help keep us afloat while we fight for ours jobs back. We understand 100% that this isn't about giving concessions just to keep us online. We have fought the political corruption in this city for years and we are now paying for their mismanagement and theft. Countless no-bid contracts pass every year, a 19 million dollar surplus turned into a 6 million dollar DEFICIT within a few months, money is being WASTED on a water plant we DO NOT NEED in Hialeah. The list goes on and on!

One very important thing to keep in mind for those of you not in the loop. Ex-Mayor Julio Robaina brought this city to ruins, Current INTERIM Mayor Carlos Hernandez was the president of the council. Meaning, all the corruption Robaina did, Hernandez approved as president of the council. So, now Carlos Hernandez has to continue to hide and lie about all the city finances to continue to cover up for what has happened in the last few years. Come November 1st a new Mayor will be in power and all the numbers and city finances will finally come to light.

The Fire Department did NOT bankrupt the city. Our union IS willing to give concessions.. but not blindly. Show is the real numbers, show us what you really need and we will figure it out.

Forum Member

Why doesn't the mayor cut his salary to a reasonable amount? He claimed in the beginning he would cut his salary by 30%, which left him at $190,000. Are you kidding me? That kind of salary is what's killing the city. We have no idea what his other perks and benefits add up to. Hialeah is so corrupt.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jeff0828 View Post
    Why doesn't the mayor cut his salary to a reasonable amount? He claimed in the beginning he would cut his salary by 30%, which left him at $190,000. Are you kidding me? That kind of salary is what's killing the city. We have no idea what his other perks and benefits add up to. Hialeah is so corrupt.
    Im glad someone brought that up! He continues to tell the public the he reduced HIS salary by 30% leaving him at $190,000. Two things come out of this. First, his "salary" was approximately $40,000 as a councilmen which turned into $270,000 (minus 30%) when he took over as interim mayor when Robaina left. How can you have the guts to say you LOWERED your salary when you went from making $40,000 a year to $190,000 a year? HIS salary increased, the position of Mayor "decreased". Secondly, the so called reduction was made to the expense account. This is an account that is used by the mayor for any expenses he may have during working hours. Problem is, not one receipt has to be shown or documented for what you purchased with the account. AND, whatever is left in the account at the end of the year? The Mayor gets a check for the remaining balance.

Brothers, that is beyond sad. I hope you all find gainful employment soon. If you feel like the drive, Hillsborough should be opening up soon.

Best of luck.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Thread Information