Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    We also carry an electric PPV fan. Yes folks, they make PPV fans with electric motors now. There cfm is less than a gas powered fan of the same size, but far more than the old negative pressure box vent fans.
    We've had an electric PPV fan for about 2 years now and love it. Makes venting the burned food calls in our high-rises a lot easier than using a box fan in the window.

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

We had gas powered PPV's forever. The problem was that the extension tubing did not fit tight on the exhaust. Using them for burnt-food ended up filling the place with CO. We purchased electric PPV's that move more air then the box fans but not as much as the gas powered units. The only problem is that we can't run them off the truck's generator (they trip the circuit) so they're limited to shore power.

For the residential burt-food type calls the electrics are fine since the home will still have power. For removing significant smoke, like after a fire, the gas ones are fine since there's probably already CO in the building, and power to the building secured.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    For the residential burt-food type calls the electrics are fine since the home will still have power. For removing significant smoke, like after a fire, the gas ones are fine since there's probably already CO in the building, and power to the building secured.
    You always want to leave a little of that burned food smell in the residence. I always considered that the fine for "careless cooking" (as I used to call it during my size up).
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    We've had an electric PPV fan for about 2 years now and love it. Makes venting the burned food calls in our high-rises a lot easier than using a box fan in the window.
    When we got our new rescue engine in 2005 I pushed for getting an electric PPV fan simply because with the onboard cord reels it would be one less gas motor to mess with. It went through and we have used it successfully many times since. I think there is still room for the gasoline powered ones but there can be no denying that removing burned food odors, and other non-fire smoke and smells the electric PPV fan is the cat's *****.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

We had gas powered PPV's forever. The problem was that the extension tubing did not fit tight on the exhaust. Using them for burnt-food ended up filling the place with CO. We purchased electric PPV's that move more air then the box fans but not as much as the gas powered units. The only problem is that we can't run them off the truck's generator (they trip the circuit) so they're limited to shore power.

On my career FD our mechanic replaced the muffler with a pipe nipple with a union attached, they welded the other side of the union to the exhaust extension tubing. We carry it preconnected and coild on the fan. To put the fan into use we uncoil the extension and fire the fan up. When done we let it cool for a few minutes while picking up other stuff, roll it up back on the fan and away we go.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    You always want to leave a little of that burned food smell in the residence. I always considered that the fine for "careless cooking" (as I used to call it during my size up).
    I thought that's what the bootprints on the white carpet were for.
    -3dd

What kind of generators are you guys using?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    What kind of generators are you guys using?
    I forget off the top of my head. I just know that plugging the PPV into the truck line trips the breaker. Rather then fix that, TPTB changed the operations to always require the PPV's be plugged into the local power.
    -3dd

I forget off the top of my head. I just know that plugging the PPV into the truck line trips the breaker. Rather then fix that, TPTB changed the operations to always require the PPV's be plugged into the local power.
    Interesting. Our Honda 5000 powers our 18" Tempest fan just fine.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

The following link is a study done by the Salt Lake City Fire Department on CO concentrations from gasoline blowers. I think it plays right into this discussion..

http://www.tempest-edge.com/document...e%20120199.pdf

Thread Information