Forum Member

Default Bunker repair certification

Hi Everyone!!! I am a canvas shop own in Central Wisconsin.. Can any of you tell me where I can obtain information to become certified to repair firefighter clothing such as bunkers.
    my email is info@duanescoveritall.com
    Thanks! Duane

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blues2me View Post
    Hi Everyone!!! I am a canvas shop own in Central Wisconsin.. Can any of you tell me where I can obtain information to become certified to repair firefighter clothing such as bunkers.
    my email is info@duanescoveritall.com
    Thanks! Duane
    Most Turnout Gear manufacturers will certify repair shops to repair their clothing. Morning Pride as an example does this.

While most turnout gear manufacturers use the same outer shell materials since they are produced and certified by Textile companies, how those fabrics are assembled into a coat or pants will vary by company. Morning Pride, Lion, Globe, Fire Dex, etc are going to all build their coats and pants differently. Being certified to repair the fabric itself will not be enough to offer repairs on any brand of clothing.

The other issue is contamination. Most turnout gear repair shops are also turnout gear cleaners. The reason for this is most departments will simply send damaged gear off to be cleaned and repaired. This way it comes back ready to use as opposed to cleaning it in house (if they even have the equipment to do it) or sending it to an outside cleaner, THEN a repair shop. If you are not offering cleaning, then you are not likley to get much business considering most departments do not have their own cleaning equipment. And i do not know of any department who would send their gear out to be repaired by a shop who has not be factory certified to repair their brand of gear.

Forum Member

Does anyone know where I could get a yard of gear fabric

Thread Information