Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default CCJA Accelerated (MEDIC) EMT- Enhanced Progam 14 days in October

Accelerated EMT – Enhanced Program

(Advanced Life Support Program)

Dates: October 17-30, 2010 (14 Days)

Time: 9am-8pm

Cost: $1,400.00 (This does not include books and test fees)

Coordinator: Charles A. Williams NREMT-P
    Instructor: Thomas Perroni EMT, E, W, T “ASHI” ACLS, PALS, Instructor

Registration: Call (540) 322-3000, (540) 846-7088 e-mail ccjatraining@gmail.com

Required text:

Mosby's EMT-Intermediate Textbook 3rd Edition for the 1999 National Standard Curriculum by Bruce R. Shade EMT-P EMS-I AAS, Thomas E. Collins Jr. MD FACEP, Elizabeth Wertz RN BSN MPM FACMPE PHRN EMT-P, and Shirley A. Jones MSEd MHA EMT-P.

Program description:

EMT-Enhanced (EMT-E) holds a 3 year certification.
    EMT-E's are ALS providers in Virginia. EMT-E’s can start IVs and use advance airway techniques to maintain a patient airway in unconscious patient. They are able to administer some medications, such as Benadryl in allergic reactions, Albuterol nebulizer treatments for asthma patients and dextrose in diabetic emergencies. You can see a complete list of medications and skills listed below.

The Emergency Medical Technician-Enhanced: Virginia Standard Curriculum represents the minimum required information to be presented within a course that leads to Virginia EMT-Enhanced certification eligibility. All skills and subjects contained in the curriculum for EMT-Enhanced are covered in a minimum of 80 hours of instruction plus a minimum of 48 hours devoted to extensive clinical rotations in specialty units and field internship. These additional clinical rotations include time spent in OR/Recovery Units, Critical Care Units, Labor & Delivery Units, Pediatrics, Emergency Department, Family Practice, Mental Health Clinics, Dialysis Clinics, Neurovascular Rehabilitation Clinics, Detoxification Units, and Extended Care Facilities.

Medications: (in addition to EMT-B drugs)

Ipatropium Bromide (Atrovent)
    Methylprednisolone (Solu-Medrol)
    Albuterol (Proventil)
    Dextrose 50%
    Benadryl (Diaphenhydramine HCL)
    Glucagon
    Narcan (Naloxone HCL)
    Nitroglycerine (sl)
    Aspirin
    Epinephrine (sq)

Skills: (in addition to EMT-B skills)

Peripheral Vein Cannulation
    Saline Locks
    Needle Pleural Decompression
    Intraosseous infusion

Demographics:

Classroom hours = 80
    Clinical hours = 48
    Certification life = 3 years
    Recertification requirements = must pass written and practical exam in addition to 36 hours of refresher training.

To be eligible to attend an Advanced Level EMT course in Virginia you must:

Be proficient in reading, writing and speaking the English language.
    Be a minimum of 18 years of age at the beginning date of the certification course.
    Hold a current certification as an EMT-Basic or higher.
    Hold, at a minimum, a High School or General Equivalency Diploma.
    Have no physical or mental impairment that would render them unable to perform all practical skills required for that level of certification.
    Not have been convicted of or found guilty of any crime, offense or regulatory violation, or participated in any other prohibited conduct identified in state EMS regulations as follows, by an adult within or outside Virginia.
    Be clean and neat in appearance.
    If in an ALS Bridge certification Program, must have completed the eligibility requirements for certification at the lower ALS level prior to the beginning date of the ALS Bridge Certification program.
    If in an ALS Bridge certification Program, must have become certified at the lower level prior to certification testing for the higher level of ALS certification.
    To register for the course or for information contact:

Tom Perroni EMT-E, W, T, / Training Director (540) 322-3000 or (540) 846-7088 or ccjatraining@gmail.com or www.ccjatraining.com

A (REMS) ALS Pre-Test is scheduled for October 16, 2011 at 12 noon a list of all shots and immunizations need for Hospital ER rotations will be e-mailed once registered for the course.

"Trust me, I'm a medic"

The “State of the Art” in medicine is constantly changing –unlearn outdated medical training @ CCJA.

MembersZone Subscriber

EMT-Enhanced?

Forgive me if I'm wrong. But I thought Virginia did away with Enhanced.
    The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by FirefighterPEP View Post
    EMT-Enhanced?

Forgive me if I'm wrong. But I thought Virginia did away with Enhanced.
    O.K. - You're forgiven & you're wrong. (Just kidding)

Virginia revamped their certification levels a several years back (10 ish?) - the old "Shock-Trauma" & "Cardiac Tech" went away and Enhanced & Intermediate were brought in.

There was some talk at the time of all this transition that VA was going to mirror NR with B, I, and P but a lot of the rural areas pushed for something with a little more "umph" than a "B" with a lot less class time than an "I" and thus S/T was then slightly revamped and renamed "Enhanced"

I have not had a chance to talk with anyone "in the know" at the state level yet as to what plans are with the coming changes in the national model. NR has already announced a 2 re-cert period to transition to the new certifications.

VA requires NR as initial certification for I & P but after applying for reciprocity to a VA state cert - it is not required to maintain NR although the majority of Medics I know have done so.

I've probably been clear as mud, but I hope that helps.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

One more point of clarification - not all agencies in Virginia recognize EMT-E as ALS. I know that neither of mine do.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    One more point of clarification - not all agencies in Virginia recognize EMT-E as ALS. I know that neither of mine do.
    Good Point - ours doesn't either but I wasn't going there earlier.

Our OMD will let them mark up a truck as "BLS Enhanced" instead of BLS but you have to have an I or P to mark up an ALS truck.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Thread Information