Forum Member

Default 2nd time through the hiring process- Help-

So I recently went through the hiring process with a major dept, made it to the Chief's. The dept. tested well over 2,000 and narrowed it to 42 for the Chiefs, 23 got hired. Didn't get the call. Just found out that the same dept is hiring again. I need a piece of advice here...
    If I am fortunate enough to pass the test and earn an interview spot, do I bring up the fact that I made it to the Chiefs on the last go-around? Although I wasn't selected, I feel like it was an accomplishment on my part. I don't want to draw attention to something that won't help me be successful, but I also feel like it may be worth mentioning, especially considering it was less than 8 months ago that they made the last hiring decision.
    So what do you think??

-Drop it and rely on what got me to the Chief's the first time around?
    -Lead my opening with "hey guys remember me"? (kidding...)
    Or
    -Reference my experience with the hiring process in a way that alludes to the fact that I was a potential candidate in the last hiring process?

Thanks to all, and any good advice is appreciated.

Forum Member

Elephants never forget, neither do firefighters

Part of app requires you to kist places you have applied for in the past five years

No do not bring it up in an interview

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Elephants never forget, neither do firefighters

Part of app requires you to kist places you have applied for in the past five years

No do not bring it up in an interview
    I'm surprised that you didn't ask what state you are in question!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

You can bring it up, but it's all about delivery. Try using it as an experience where you failed, and now that you are back in that spot you learned from what went wrong and are now taking advantage of this opportunity. There's nothing wrong with being honest, especially when it shows a strong desire to want to work for the department. Just dont be a pompous d@&* about it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I'm surprised that you didn't ask what state you are in question!
    Not Germane or is it german

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ShortHaul View Post
    So I recently went through the hiring process with a major dept, made it to the Chief's...Didn't get the call....Just found out that the same dept is hiring again.

...do I bring up the fact that I made it to the Chiefs on the last go-around? Although I wasn't selected...

I don't want to draw attention to something that won't help me be successful

-Lead my opening with "hey guys remember me"? (kidding...)
    Or
    -Reference my experience with the hiring process in a way that alludes to the fact that I was a potential candidate in the last hiring process?
    NO
    At least not directly. If you have been practicing and reworking your answers in the last 8 months, you can work it into your answer to the usual question of "What have you done to prepare?" and "Why should we hire you?" Here you can make mention of the last process and what you have done since then to improve and make yourself a better candidate. But it shouldn't be the main body of your answer.

If not, only then if they bring it up. They probably won't, as each candidate usually comes in with a new canvas to paint their qualifications on, and that information will most likely not be available to the panel.

Either way, do not come in trying to make a light joke about it. It gives the impression that you are not serious. Most candidates when they come in trying to lead off with a joke; the joke usually falls flat setting a very awkward tone for the rest of the interview and they don't get hired.

Forum Member

Never:

This might help:

After my interview rejection an east coast city , I sent a letter to the D/C thanking him for the opportunity and telling him I'd appreciate any feedback from the interview. Well - he was honest - he indicated he wanted me to keep testing & interviewing, but wrote that I:

-talked too much & over answered the questions
    -talked too fast
    -some of my answers were based on book knowledge (?)

Also - as I mentioned I approached this like I would a corporate interview (BAD IDEA) and I tried to 'close' them at the end - they asked if I had any closing questions and I opened my big
    stupid mouth to say 'I kept your rejection letter from last year (I actually showed it to them - this was my second time interviewing) and it mentioned that candidates had failed to prepare and properly sell themselves to the board. I'vebeen working to improve myself in these areas for the past year - have I properly done this?'

The D/C mentioned in his letter back to me that, 'I don't think that showing the letter I mailed out last time was the best thing you could have done. It was as if you were showing it off and showing us that you still had it.' I need to keep my damn mouth shut and just answer the questions. Live and learn.
    Stay safe Dave

Reply: The mystery has been solved. You're not alone here. You have discovered
    like many other's that a fire department oral board is different than anything
    you have encountered. Too many candidates beat their heads against the wall for years getting to the point where you are now.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Thanks very much for the input. I think my best bet is to use my experience from the last go-around to help me get back to the Chiefs interview, and then focus on what I could've done better last time. FFBam, I think you said it best, that I can point to that experience while answering the "What have I done to prepare" question.
    Thanks again everyone!

Forum Member

What have you done since you made it to the Chief's interview? It's entirely possible that the people who were hired had more qualifications than you. What have you done to enhance your profile?

The MOST important other piece of information is: How well do you interview?
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Thread Information