Forum Member

Default Firestopping of conduit penetration through firewall

Does anybody know a specific code requirement of firestopping of conduit through a firewall? The item (conduit) in question is sealed around the annular space, is about 3/4 of an inch diameter with 2 small comm wires coming out of it. My belief is that the conduit should also have firestopping installed inside the pipe, but can't find a specific reference! Everything mentions the annular space, which is the area around the pipe!
    And of course we're being challenged on this!

Forum Member

1 code requires a listed forest point method

2 part of the listing is a complete detail of how that specific firearm ping is suppose to be installed

3 so to properly inspect a firestop installation, the manufactures installation instructions, with the listing diagram is needed

I know that does not answer your question, but that is how it should be done

I believe the answer to your question is yes it needs to be filled/ plugged

Truckie

This is from the NEC, but as an article;
    "The 2005 edition of the NEC (Article 300.21 Spread of Fire or Products of Combustion) states: “Openings around electrical penetrations through fire-resistant rated walls, partitions, floors or ceilings shall be fire stopped using approved methods to maintain the fire-resistance rating.”"

It's UL 1479 (ASTM E814) that will spell it out. Not so much as what you are looking for verbatim, but as required to maintain the fire resistive rating. UL 1479 also addresses it. Both these I believe are referenced in the NEC, but it's been awhile.
    Hope this helps.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

this is just one example, and unless it is what was installed, the report cannot be used to require the fill.

If you look at "page 3", "figure 2", item "3 B" in the picture and description of "3 B" it talks about fill for this listed assembly.

http://www.goodingassociates.com/ESR1043January2008.pdf

Forum Member

the easy way to do it is require a third party inspection by an approved firestop company, and have them do the inspection and certify the assembly

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fireguyminn View Post
    Does anybody know a specific code requirement of firestopping of conduit through a firewall?
    What set of codes do you fall under???? If you are ICC, here are some pertinent sections that may help:

2009 Fire Code:
    -Section 703.1

2009 IBC:
    -Section 706.9 Penetrations references section 713. Look at 713.4.1.1 exception #1.....Perhaps they think they might fall under this exemption??

713 is a big section, you need to read it all carefully (if you fall under the ICC codes.)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information