Forum Member

Exclamation volunteer firefighter moving to u.s

hi guys. i just want to ask a quick question? because here in my country im a volunteer firefighter for almost 10 years now. and my dad who live in cali, wants to get us, and our papers is almost done. so the question is this.. what do i need to do to be a firefighter in cali or in the united states??

Forum Member

Default Firefighter Qualifications

Most states have some qualifications (Firefighter I, etc.) that you need to meet. Also each department may have its own requirements (FFI,II, EMT, Hazardous Materials Operations, Rescue, etc.).

Therefore, after you enter the US, check with whatever volunteer departments in the area that you will be living in. Ask for their qualifications. Also, check with the state training agency/association for your particular state that makes the requirements. They would know the requirements.

Since you are coming into the US, obtaining a drivers license for whatever state you reside in, should be your first priority. Without a drivers license, it would be hard for you to attend any needed training and responding to the fire hall/station for emergecnies.

Good luck in your endeavors.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Hmmm.............

Right or wrong, Most States DO NOT have Minimum Training Requirements. In Maryland, we have an excellent Training system, but the State does not Require anyone to take this Training........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Right or wrong, Most States DO NOT have Minimum Training Requirements. In Maryland, we have an excellent Training system, but the State does not Require anyone to take this Training........
    Once again, Harve is correct! Its the same here in N.C. It's up to each dept. on the minimum level. of training that they require to operate on the fire ground. Trust me there are plenty of Depts. out there that give you a t-shirt a red light and say go forth young man and fight fire, oh and good luck!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

A study by the astate of Indiania Fire training several years ago indicated that over 80% of the states have no minimum training requirements for volunteers and over 30% have no minimum training requirements for career.

California, I believe, does have minimum training standards for volunteer as well as career members. As previous posters have stated, the departments can put additional requirements on thier members.

I would suggst contacting the training authirity in California, if that's where you will be moving, if you want specific information on their minimum training requirements.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

He may be hard press not being a US Citizen to obtained a drivers license in any State.

Also he may have a hard time becoming a firefighter in the USA not being a US Citizen too.

See the Virginia Law on obtaining a license;

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...s/applying.asp

I would think it about the same in others states as well.

Just Google the state you want to inquire about.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 10-06-2011 at 11:32 AM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

The only thing I see about Virginia law is that he must show proof of legal presence. He said his family is working on the paperwork to bring him here so he's coming legally and will have documentation as to that fact and should have no problem obtaining a drivers license anywhere. Just about all states are the same that I know of.

I'd think as long as he's here legally most departments and states will also have no problem with him. Although he may have to go through some training to ensure that he is familiar with and in compliance with US standards I'd guess most departments would be very happy to get an experienced FireFighter.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    He may be hard press not being a US Citizen to obtained a drivers license in any State.

Also he may have a hard time becoming a firefighter in the USA not being a US Citizen too.

See the Virginia Law on obtaining a license;

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...s/applying.asp

I would think it about the same in others states as well.

Just Google the state you want to inquire about.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE117 View Post
    SOME states have some qualifications (Firefighter I, etc.) that you need to meet. Also each department may have its own requirements (FFI,II, EMT, Hazardous Materials Operations, Rescue, etc.).

Therefore, after you enter the US, check with whatever volunteer departments in the area that you will be living in. Ask for their qualifications. Also, check with the state training agency/association for your particular state that makes the requirements. They would know the requirements.

Since you are coming into the US, obtaining a drivers license for whatever state you reside in, should be your first priority. Without a drivers license, it would be hard for you to attend any needed training and responding to the fire hall/station for emergencies.

Good luck in your endeavors.
    There I changed it from "most" to "some". Happy now? I guess "most" was not general enough. Hopefully, "some" is general enough.

There are 50 different states that probably have 50 different ways of doing things. I have FFI & II from two different states and have instructed FF I and had all nine of my students become certified. Even if FF I & II is not mandated in certain states, it should be IMHO.
    Last edited by FIRE117; 10-06-2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Forum Member

thank you for answering all my question and for all the things that i need to know.

hope to see you guys when i get there. looking forward to be a firefighter in cali or near cali..

Thread Information