makes good girls go bad

Default Chief Plaughter retires

Fire Chief Carl Plaugher said Wednesday he plans to retire next month after 11 years as Orange County’s top-ranked fire fighter.

Plaugher weathered hurricanes and oversaw strong growth in his department. Mayor Teresa Jacobs said he “stood tall on many occasions” during his term, which started in 2000 under former Mayor Mel Martinez.

Plaugher was brought on in part to improve diversity on a staff of 824 when he arrived. The 62-year-old leaves the department with 1,160 fire fighters, EMTs and support staff in Orange’s fire ranks. After almost 39 years in the business, Plaugher said he plans to get back to flying, and start traveling more with his wife.

Plaugher was at the helm in recent years as property tax revenues shrunk, and the county increasingly relied on its fire department funding reserves. The still-avid runner said there was no push to remove him, and he’s leaving on his own terms.

“I am very fortunate to be able to be a fire chief and to leave when the department is in exceptional shape,” Plaugher said, adding that it was possible because of his strong crews and bosses.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Finally!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    mmmmkay. Are you next in line or something?

The guy has 39 years of service, he's retiring, and that little quip is all you can think of?

How about show a little respect, or at least professionalism. With an attitude like that I bet there'll be more than a few people saying "finally" when you're out as well.
    Apparently you are not familiar with how much dislike there is for him within that Dept. by a lot of guys. He is a dedicated man with a lot of experience however he has done a LOT of VERY questionable things in years of late that have not been good for the Dept., it's image and the morale....
    Last edited by JMCFF; 10-06-2011 at 07:18 PM.

Forum Member

I can't comment on any like or dislike against the guy because I don't know him at all. But I will say over the years I have heard a lot of comments from OCFD guys that were negative about the administration, but we have to always remember the commissioners are usually the puppeteers, so how much is his doing may really fall on someone else. But I have heard a lot more negatives than positives. I know the "fire them, let them fight for their job back" philosophy will not be missed around there. And shady stuff goes on in every department, no matter what the size, no matter who the personnel is.

Forum Member

It will be a great day for the OCFRD firefighters when Plaugher retires. I will not show respect to a man just because he held the position of Fire Chief. He certainly didnt have any respect for the firefighters and he most definitely didn't earn any respect. I'm sure you can find a few of his minions that might say he was a great Chief, they will be easy to spot, they have brown noses. Pray that one of those guys doesn't replace him. It will be more of the same.

I am pretty sure that most of the OCFRD guys will agree with me. Just to be clear here- OCFRD Firefighters= Awesome, Plaugher= don't let the door hit you in the ***!!

Congrats to the OCFRD Worker Bees. It is the end of a miserable era and a new beginning. Now to hire a Chief from the OUTSIDE.
    Last edited by beachfire; 10-07-2011 at 09:55 AM.

Forum Member

Check your PM Fuss.

Forum Member

I guess you just had to work for the guy to understand. He had NO love for the firefighters, especially the medics. The fact that he was a fireman first makes it even worse. I have moved forward but will never forget my brothers from the OC. I want what is best for them, not the cancer that is Plaugher. Don't know who is worse, the BCC or Plaugher. Anyway, take care and stay safe.

Thread Information