Forum Member

Default Handhelds "Orange" button

Looking for info on how FD are programming handhelds for Emergency Call or Mandown.

Are you using the "orange" button that is on most modern fire service handhelds?

How is it programmed? Who does it call, what channel (fire command, EMS, Law?). Does it send out an alert tone, stored voice message????

Forum Member

We disabled the orange button. It was originally programmed to send a tone to our dispatch center. It alerted the dispatch center that a radio was in emergency mode. Had too many false notifications with too little detail so we disabled them.

Guys get in trouble, they do a Mayday on the radio. Everyone else switches to a different channel leaving the mayday FF and IC on the original channel alone.

It works for us.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    We disabled the orange button. It was originally programmed to send a tone to our dispatch center. It alerted the dispatch center that a radio was in emergency mode. Had too many false notifications with too little detail so we disabled them.

Guys get in trouble, they do a Mayday on the radio. Everyone else switches to a different channel leaving the mayday FF and IC on the original channel alone.

It works for us.
    Ditto...

I've also had the orange button turn on a backlight on certain radios.

It is a nice idea, but doesn't work well for FF's. For cops it should definitely be activated as an emergency button.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

We haven't deactivated the buttons yet, but follow a similar procedure. Call mayday over the radio, everybody else changes channels.

We have a lot of false alarms, unfortunately it locks up the control center consoles if the user doesn't reset them.

Probably a good idea for the police and maybe EMS since they can theoretically hit the button without notifying the people around them that they are calling for backup.

Forum Member

Sounds logical.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Orange Button on Radios

On our Motorola UHF Radios we have the button programmed to send an Emergency Tone to Dispatch. Lately, we have not had many false-calls.

On our Motorola 800 MHz Radios it is programmed to switch between the Talk Groups.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Let's talk fire trucks!

Both at the VFD and work, the orange button sends an emergency tone to the dispatcher. The radio also sounds a tone to let the FF immediately know that the button has been pressed in case it was an accidental activation.

We elected not to have the radio's mic stay open after the button was depressed.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Thread Information