KTF
    Forum Member

Default Wearing Fire T-shirts at Test

Why do people always wear fire department t-shirts at written test? I have even seen volunteers show up wearing there class B's. Its my pet peeve, I don't know what these people are thinking, maybe just trying to be cool. If you do this please elaborate.

Also, there is no need to wear a suit to a written test. Just sayin. Thanks

Forum Member

Be happy those people are there.

They're tools and if they're dumb enough to do that, they probably aren't serious contenders.

They keep the cost of testing down for more serious candidates, as well as the people watching/entertainment value up.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've worn my dress A uniform 3 times to take a test (we're forced to when we're in public and not planning on getting dirty). I was on duty at one career department and allowed leave to test for another. I'm sorry if I ruined your test taking with my attire, I promise to change in the car next time. I'm also sorry if I wore white after labor day. I'd further like to apologize that I didn't remember what you were wearing because I tend to focus more on the test than what everyone else is wearing.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    I've worn my dress A uniform 3 times to take a test (we're forced to when we're in public and not planning on getting dirty). I was on duty at one career department and allowed leave to test for another. I'm sorry if I ruined your test taking with my attire, I promise to change in the car next time. I'm also sorry if I wore white after labor day. I'd further like to apologize that I didn't remember what you were wearing because I tend to focus more on the test than what everyone else is wearing.
    Taj...calm down. Channel that passion into your website and articles (good stuff BTW).

KTF and I are from the same region, and up here we have an epidemic of people showing up "in service" to tests.

I'm talking people who drove from 3 hours away in uniform, most likely off duty, wearing pagers (which usually aren't silenced)...the full bit. Hilarious really.

I'm not testing anymore...for me it is simply humorous to remember.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by powerhourcoug View Post
    Taj...calm down. Channel that passion into your website and articles (good stuff BTW).

KTF and I are from the same region, and up here we have an epidemic of people showing up "in service" to tests.

I'm talking people who drove from 3 hours away in uniform, most likely off duty, wearing pagers (which usually aren't silenced)...the full bit. Hilarious really.

I'm not testing anymore...for me it is simply humorous to remember.
    I'm not wound up. Promise. I have a very dry sense of humor, sorry if I'm coming off as an *******. I know a few departments that won't even look at you if you're in a shirt and jeans though.
    Thanks for reading though. Drop a comment some time.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

I took six written exams before I finally got high enough on a list to get a postion and never went dressed in one of my uniforms; however, to each of those tests, I did wear a shirt, tie, and slacks. It never hurts to look presentable as you never know who you're gonna talk to. Any one proctor during a test may just be on your interview panel and you stand out when you look professional. Therefore, even though I've never worn a jacket to a test, I completely disagree with the suit comment. It's just one more way to show how bad you want it!

KTF
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    I never said that it ruined my test, I just think its funny when it happens. You of course had a good excuse. That's cool of the department to let you test while on shift. I guess I'm talking about the people who wear the shirts to try to show off.

I am kinda hurt that you didn't remember what I was wearing, but I can look past that. Wait you also wore white after labor day? Poor form haha.

As for wearing suits I agree it can't hurt and you can make a better impression. I try to dress comfortable to help me relax, and keep my suit for the interview. My very first test I dressed up because I didn't know the process at all. The written to me is all about your scores. But what do i know, I'm still not hired.

I am waiting for the day to see someone show up in bunks haha.

Forum Member

Our HR in the past, has told applicants not to wear anything that affiliates them with the fire service or another fire department, Period!

They make the rules at the beginning and expect applicants to begin their career by following them.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

If it's not a shirt and tie event, it should be a khakis and collared shirt event. The only time you should wear less than that in the interview process is *maybe* non-FD affiliated PT clothes for the physical agility testing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    They make the rules at the beginning and expect applicants to begin their career by following them.
    Here here!! I don't get these guys/gals that show up without following simple instructions that were sent out for the written. If it says bring 2 #2 pencils and a pen and you don't have them then sorry you can't take the test. If you can't follow simple instructions, then why do we want you in our academy or firehouse?

I'm done now... sorry it was off topic.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

I've said it before, I'm saying it again.....It's all in who, how, where and when the written test is administered. In many larger cities or places where they expect a large amount of applicants, the fire department may not be the agency giving the test.

For example, in the City of Philadelphia, tests are administered by the City's Department of Personnel, given at high schools throughout the city, proctored by school teachers earning some overtime, and usually (and coincidentally) on the hottest day of the year.

There are absolutely zero fire department personnel anywhere to be seen at the test site simply for the fact that the FD has nothing to do with the test.

So go ahead, if you want to wear a suit and tie on a 97 degree day to a high school with incredibly unconfortable chairs/seats with 2000 other guys, you go right ahead, I'll wear my shorts and hooters t-shirt and be somewhat comfortable and able to concentrate on my test better.

Know the situation. Know who, what, where, when and how the test is given. If you are sitting with 25 others at a test being given by a FD, then by all means get the suit dry cleaned.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I've said it before, I'm saying it again.....It's all in who, how, where and when the written test is administered. In many larger cities or places where they expect a large amount of applicants, the fire department may not be the agency giving the test.

For example, in the City of Philadelphia, tests are administered by the City's Department of Personnel, given at high schools throughout the city, proctored by school teachers earning some overtime, and usually (and coincidentally) on the hottest day of the year.

There are absolutely zero fire department personnel anywhere to be seen at the test site simply for the fact that the FD has nothing to do with the test.

So go ahead, if you want to wear a suit and tie on a 97 degree day to a high school with incredibly unconfortable chairs/seats with 2000 other guys, you go right ahead, I'll wear my shorts and hooters t-shirt and be somewhat comfortable and able to concentrate on my test better.

Know the situation. Know who, what, where, when and how the test is given. If you are sitting with 25 others at a test being given by a FD, then by all means get the suit dry cleaned.
    Well FWD, a few departments that I tested with that used FD personnel to proctor the written were Seattle Fire Department (over 4000 at the test) and run by fire department personnel as well as Las Vegas Fire & Rescue (over 2000 at the written) and run by fire department personnel. I don't believe the size of the department determines how they administer their tests. Regardless of who may or may not see you, you are applying for the job of a professional so why not dress the part; but then again, to each their own.

Forum Member

I never wore a suit to a test, or anything even close. Did just fine.

KTF
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shmanky808 View Post
    Well FWD, a few departments that I tested with that used FD personnel to proctor the written were Seattle Fire Department (over 4000 at the test) and run by fire department personnel as well as Las Vegas Fire & Rescue (over 2000 at the written) and run by fire department personnel. I don't believe the size of the department determines how they administer their tests. Regardless of who may or may not see you, you are applying for the job of a professional so why not dress the part; but then again, to each their own.
    I went to the written and oral board workshops for Seattle and was told by the captain of recruitment to dress as comfortably as possible for the 4.5 hr test and to save my suit for the interview. But if it gives you more confidence i say do it to each there own is right.

Forum Member

Default Test

You'll never be graded down for wearing a suit if you want...but you can be graded down for wearing Fire Department T-Shirts , shorts and flip flops. It's your choice and from someone who came from a department who's members had an eye on the candidates from the get go......so beware where ever you are while in the testing process you never know who's watching.

Just My 2 Cents.....
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

I guess it depends on what type of a test you are talking about.

If one of our members is attending an LSU certification test, and the department is paying for the test, they are required, at a minimum to be in a department t-shirt and duty pants (if they have them).

The department polo is preferred.

We want the other departments in the area to see how many of our members we are sending out for certification testing.

The same policy applies if members are travelling to a class.

As far as wearing department shirts at employment testing ... I guess that's a personal choice though to me it looks unprofessional.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 10-13-2011 at 12:33 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Thread Information