Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ITT Afghanistan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDLUFT35 View Post
    Wonder if that could be because the firefighters (ops guys) walk around like they invented fire (which is funny and sad when you take into account the cert vs. actual experience ratio), do nothing but sleep, play video games, and watch tv all day, then, they cry like babies when they have to actually do something. Just a thought. And yes, I have witnessed this with my own two eyes. Maybe ITT has figured out they can get the same service with fewer people.
    You sound disgruntle, maybe you didn't have the certs or experience, or maybe both. I don't know.

I'm not sure if you noticed but Afghanistan is a war zone and the fire service in a war zone is primitive at best. What do you expect the department to do all day? Flow test Hydrants? Don't have any. Polish the brass? Don't have any. Wash the apparatus? On water restriction. I could play this game all day long.

I'm not arguing that we do much, however I challenge you to show me an organization that does in government work. People like you use the FD as an easy target and we are. After all, we get paid to work out, we get days off, and we sleep on-duty.

Have you ever heard the saying, "If you can't beat'em, join'em"? Maybe it's time to stop complaining.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Rum View Post
    You sound disgruntle, maybe you didn't have the certs or experience, or maybe both. I don't know.

I'm not sure if you noticed but Afghanistan is a war zone and the fire service in a war zone is primitive at best. What do you expect the department to do all day? Flow test Hydrants? Don't have any. Polish the brass? Don't have any. Wash the apparatus? On water restriction. I could play this game all day long.

I'm not arguing that we do much, however I challenge you to show me an organization that does in government work. People like you use the FD as an easy target and we are. After all, we get paid to work out, we get days off, and we sleep on-duty.

Have you ever heard the saying, "If you can't beat'em, join'em"? Maybe it's time to stop complaining.
    Funny....I have certs. Earned every one of 'em. They weren't spoon fed, bought, or handed out. As far as experience, how many fires have you actually seen? I don't mean in your "war zone", in your whole, vast firefighting career? I'm pretty sure I've got you and probably 2 or 3 of your buddies covered. Disgruntled? Not really. I've done my time in contracting so I know what it's really like; got those t-shirts, too. I've also heard guys crowing on chat boards and in other forums about how they gey paid huge money and do zip. Maybe the wrong people have seen what you actually do on a day to day basis. Just pointing out a fact, whether you want to admit it or not.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wonder if that could be because the firefighters (ops guys) walk around like they invented fire (which is funny and sad when you take into account the cert vs. actual experience ratio), do nothing but sleep, play video games, and watch tv all day, then, they cry like babies when they have to actually do something. Just a thought. And yes, I have witnessed this with my own two eyes. Maybe ITT has figured out they can get the same service with fewer people.
    Man get out of here with that BS, Speaking about the (ops guys) im guessing your a inspector and just jealous cause they are making more money with less workload... And actually ITT has they highest certification requirement in all of LOGCAP for Firefighters so if someone has 4 years prior service good for them they are trying to get a gold dime just like everyone else. I stated in the FIRST post i didnt want this to turn into a "talking SMACK" like all the rest so find another forum to make your comments at....

Forum Member

Who made you God of the forum??? I've worked both sides of the house and yes, ops guys get paid a lot to do nothing. Inspectors get paid a lot less to do the most work. That's reality. It's also why there's a shortage of inspectors. My problem is with some of these prima donna types with 3-4 years of military experience, that, by their own admission, isn't much in the way of actual firefighting experience, just a bunch of paper. Example: one FF I knew said he saw only a couple of actual fires his whole military career. A couple of fires. Then, they get over in the contract world, get paid big bucks, and act like they invented the fire service. That's my problem. Rum's post is a bunch of garbage. He knows I'm right and so do you. Anybody with any contract experience and a brain in their head knows it too. At least the ones that are not "eat up with ego", as most of these paper firefighters are.

Oh yeah...one other thing....while ITT mayhave one of the highest cert requirements, the cert is only paper without the experience behind it. Anybody can get a cert. Not everyone that has it has the experience to go with it. And while training constantly is a good thing, it does not replace the real thing. And in my experience, the "war zone" training is a joke.

Good luck with the job retention, guys. You're gonna need it.

Forum Member

Who made you God of the forum??? I've worked both sides of the house and yes, ops guys get paid a lot to do nothing. Inspectors get paid a lot less to do the most work. That's reality. It's also why there's a shortage of inspectors. My problem is with some of these prima donna types with 3-4 years of military experience, that, by their own admission, isn't much in the way of actual firefighting experience, just a bunch of paper. Example: one FF I knew said he saw only a couple of actual fires his whole military career. A couple of fires. Then, they get over in the contract world, get paid big bucks, and act like they invented the fire service. That's my problem. Rum's post is a bunch of garbage. He knows I'm right and so do you. Anybody with any contract experience and a brain in their head knows it too. At least the ones that are not "eat up with ego", as most of these paper firefighters are.

Oh yeah...one other thing....while ITT mayhave one of the highest cert requirements, the cert is only paper without the experience behind it. Anybody can get a cert. Not everyone that has it has the experience to go with it. And while training constantly is a good thing, it does not replace the real thing. And in my experience, the "war zone" training is a joke.

Good luck with the job retention, guys. You're gonna need it.

You speak of arrogance in contract firefighters? The way you talk it would seem you are the only person to have ever fought a fire, or earn a cert. Get over yourself! My experience is this: the guys that brag about fires they've seen--havenít seen any at all.

If you actually read my post I said, "I'm not arguing that we do much". So what's garbage? I practically agreed with you. I don't believe anyone comes over here to fight fire, we come to make money.

I can't speak for you and I wouldn't even try to fill those huge shoes. However, did you ever stop to think the experience with contractors you speak of could be just that--Your experience! The group of guys I work with are some of the most intelligent, experienced and hardworking that I have had the pleasure to stand beside in my short 10 year career. So if you want to bad mouth someone speak of specifics rather than generalities.

Forum Member

Can anyone elaborate on the reliability of the 50% cut in Afghanistan ITT FF positions rumor? Hearing lots of different things...Thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firesheep99 View Post
    Can anyone elaborate on the reliability of the 50% cut in Afghanistan ITT FF positions rumor? Hearing lots of different things...Thanks.
    Firesheep99, what are you hearing?

The 50% rumor is just that, a rumor. I doubt we will have any firm information until the moment it happens. Our upper management simply told us as a heads up. I would imagine the majority of the sites will hold the info until the last minute to avoid any undue stress and turmoil that would surface as a result.

The facts are this though: Fluor, DynCorp etc. are nearing the 2014 end of contract for Afghanistan. The Afghan President and the American Public want us out. This means we will see a decrease in troops (already happening) and contractors needed to support them. Our Greenville pipeline has already been shut down and we have lost 2 firefighters in as many days.

So is there any validity to the rumor? I don't know, but the facts seem to point that direction. This could be simply an issue with the installations slated to be closed. If you're at an enduring base you may have no worries.

Anyone else here anything or are we alone? Maybe it’s just us!

Forum Member

Rum, you need to re-read my last post. That being said, I re-read yours and I must say I did mis-read a couple of your points. My apologies. As far as my experiences, though, I am spot on. I've been at several different bases in both countries and the experience, for the most part, has been about the same. I also know a lot of these guys got their certs from "cert factories". Again, without the practical experience, its just paper, and I think you would agree on that. BTW- I haven't bragged about fires. I just stated that I know I have a lot more experience than a lot of the contract firefighters in the game based on admissions by these same people. In all honesty, I think some of these guys confuse confidence with arrogance. They are not the same. Some of your ops guys do act like they invented the fire service.

As far as reductions, I did email a buddy of mine that works for Dyn...he said there has been talk of some base closures but nothing in the 50% range.
    Last edited by FDLUFT35; 03-29-2012 at 04:31 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Whats with all the Fire Inspector positions with Dycorp? I'm in the early application process?

Thread Information