Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jet Siphon

Default Jet Siphon

I've done some searching around and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. I'm looking for plans and/or pictures of a homemade jet siphon, or even what I need to make one. I saw one used this weekend during a tanker shuttle drill, and while I've always known about them I've never seen it in action. I'd like to take it back to my department and just make it another option for us on rural fires. The one I saw was built using irrigation pipe and a fitting at the bottom from what I could tell. If somebody could provide me with more information that would be great.

Thanks guys

Try doing a Google search on it. There is a lot there.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

We built one for our old engine (4.5" suction) using an extra 4.5" mounting bracket, some pipe, and an 1.5" female coupling.

Not terribly complicated - just a few nipples and elbows, plus maybe a little braising to get the 1.5" coupling attached to a piece of pipe.

That truck is long gone. The current engine has a low level strainer with the siphon built in, as mentioned in one of the links above.

We had a couple of PVC siphons as well. Priming them is a pain, along with the other issues mentioned in the links above.

Another method you can use if you're only going to use two square tanks is to link the dump chutes. Adapters are made for that purpose, or you can simply use a length of hard suction, or perhaps a suitably sized piece of PVC pipe. You've got the hard suction (smooth sides work best), and a piece of PVC a couple of feet long won't take much space. You can store something inside it... Rope works pretty well for sealing up the joints.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Home-made Jet Syphon (eductor)

Try looking here for some pictures. http://www.firehouse.com/forums/albu...&pictureid=228
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/albu...&pictureid=227
    A couple of hours work and some 2 1/2" pipe fittings, old 2 1/2" brass female hose coupling and a 2 1/2 by 1" street reducer for the nozzle. Old 6" mounting ring and a "spider" support cut from 1/4" hot roll flat stock. Performance is between 1200 and 1500 gpm at 150 psi Eng. Press. through 100 ft of 3" hose, when connected to 20 ft. of 6" hard sleeve. Will easily bring that amount out of a basement or sttream at a 10 ft. lift. I have been able to dewater basements with 50 ft. of 5" supply hose connected to the end of the hard tube and still move 1,000 gpm.
    Last edited by KuhShise; 10-15-2011 at 07:31 PM.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Lightbulb Well.........

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post

We had a couple of PVC siphons as well. Priming them is a pain, along with the other issues mentioned in the links above.

Another method you can use if you're only going to use two square tanks is to link the dump chutes. Adapters are made for that purpose, or you can simply use a length of hard suction, or perhaps a suitably sized piece of PVC pipe. You've got the hard suction (smooth sides work best), and a piece of PVC a couple of feet long won't take much space. You can store something inside it... Rope works pretty well for sealing up the joints.
    Using a 1.5 line with the nozzle on narrow fog to prime the PVC usually works OK here..........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Are you near any Naval Shipyards??? Contact someone in the fire station there, or maybe you know someone who works in the yard....See if they can get a hold of a couple of peri-jets for you.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Hey??........

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Are you near any Naval Shipyards??? Contact someone in the fire station there, or maybe you know someone who works in the yard....See if they can get a hold of a couple of peri-jets for you.

You might Know this one.......... Sometime back, I read in a Maritime publication about (Relatively) Low Pressure, High Volume Siphons for Dewatering vessel holds/bilges/etc. Any ideas??......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    You might Know this one.......... Sometime back, I read in a Maritime publication about (Relatively) Low Pressure, High Volume Siphons for Dewatering vessel holds/bilges/etc. Any ideas??......
    Thats what the USN uses Peri-Jets for.....We had them when I worked at the Phila Naval Shipyard FD for de-watering the inactive fleet whenever one sprung a leak. IIRC 2.5" going in, 4.5" going out. If you did it right you could extract about 750gpm give or take, depending on where (how high up) you are discharging the water and how many turns/kinks and other friction losses there are.

I remember my first shift January of 96.......One of the carriers, I think it was the Saratoga- froze and broke a seawater intake pipe (mind you she was in the freshwater of the Delaware River) and the carrier had a 3 degree list.....Do you know how much water it takes to make a carrier list 3 degrees???? ALL OF IT!!!! Spent the first few hours at personnel filling out paperwork, and the next 10 hours at the Saratoga.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 10-18-2011 at 09:32 AM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thanks guys. I found myself a project to do over winter break. In the meantime I have to pass all these classes.

Thread Information