Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Class 1 Departments

Ok, I'm sure this question is like beating a dead horse..... but does anyone have a current updated list on all the ISO Class 1 departments, or a link to such a list. Found another thread on here about it but the list is from about 10 yrs ago.

Forum Member

Not that many out there

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreenM91 View Post
    Ok, I'm sure this question is like beating a dead horse..... but does anyone have a current updated list on all the ISO Class 1 departments, or a link to such a list. Found another thread on here about it but the list is from about 10 yrs ago.
    Considering the state of the economy right now....good luck.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Default Class 1 Departments

I can honestly say if your studying for a Fire Department Oral Exam...."They will not ask that question." I'm with FireFuss..."Why do you need to know ??"
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

The ISO and their "Class 1 Fire Dept" rating lost a lot of credibility after Charleston.

Forum Member

Off the top of my head...

Cambridge MA
    Mesquite TX
    Milford CT
    Baton Rouge LA
    Greensboro NC
    Fallon NV
    Syracuse NY
    Lisle Woodridge IL
    Hoboken NJ
    Arcadia CA
    Bossier City LA
    Anaheim CA
    Huntington Beach CA
    Pembroke Pines FL
    Vernon CA
    Holley Mountain Airpark AR
    Skokie IL
    Hialea FL
    Beverly Hills CA
    Orlando FL
    Apopka FL
    Cedar Park TX
    Euless TX
    Torrance CA
    Glendale CA

Unless something has changed very recently, like in the last year, those are all current Class 1's in the US. Their are more then that though.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    Off the top of my head...
    Wow dude, I thought I needed to get a life!

Forum Member

As a firefighter who worked for a Class 1 Department, and this is my own opinion, the Class 1 rating is just a load of BS.

I never saw any benefits from it to the firefighters and in fact, in order to fufill some of the requirements, it became a nuisance. I won't go into details because anyone can read these forums, but Class 1 is not all it is cracked up to be.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer534 View Post
    Wow dude, I thought I needed to get a life!
    Right, because knowing about your chosen occupation means you have no life.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    Right, because knowing about your chosen occupation means you have no life.
    Hey man, it was not my intention to put you down, just making light of the fact that you know that off the top of your head. I agree that we should know about the fire service as well. It was a joke!

Forum Member

Hey man, it was not my intention to put you down, just making light of the fact that you know that off the top of your head. I agree that we should know about the fire service as well. It was a joke!
    "Off the top of my head" was a bit of an exxageration. I had recently read a list and those names stuck, but i had to double check them via Google to make sure.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been going to fires since the 70's and have never seen an ISO guy on the scene of a working fire. When they start rating how they witness our work then I'll open my mind more.

Default List

There seems to be some big departments that failed to make "YOUR" list. Like LAFD and Long Beach Fire Department......

Just saying.....
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Quote Originally Posted by The5thBattalion View Post
    As a firefighter who worked for a Class 1 Department, and this is my own opinion, the Class 1 rating is just a load of BS.

I never saw any benefits from it to the firefighters and in fact, in order to fufill some of the requirements, it became a nuisance. I won't go into details because anyone can read these forums, but Class 1 is not all it is cracked up to be.
    You may not have seen the direct benifits, but I am sure there were plenty of indirect. Lowering your insurance rating for the community results in lower property taxes, which means more people may want to live and work there, which equals a higher tax base. And we all know what that means.

And for the record, memorizing the list of Class 1 departments has no bearing what so ever on my "chosen occupation" as a line firefighter.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

There isn't that much difference in insurance cost for the average citizen, between a Class 1 and a Class 2, FD and City.

Besides all the extra work that has to be done to try and get a Class 1 isn't really worth it. All the equipment the ISO says you have to carry on your rigs isn't worth having to buy them.

If you like having CLASS 1 painted on your apparatus or stationary, so be it.

I'm happy with the Class 2 status.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Shreveport, LA is also on that list.

Bossier City gets rated next year and there has already been hints by the new Chief, that due to the budget reduction and ensuing manpower cuts 2 years ago, the city may drop to a 2.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    There isn't that much difference in insurance cost for the average citizen, between a Class 1 and a Class 2, FD and City.

Besides all the extra work that has to be done to try and get a Class 1 isn't really worth it. All the equipment the ISO says you have to carry on your rigs isn't worth having to buy them.

If you like having CLASS 1 painted on your apparatus or stationary, so be it.

I'm happy with the Class 2 status.
    Agreed. The homeowner doesn't feel a thing. The city that had the ISO class 1 rating also had the highest property taxes in the county, but was also one of the poorest in the county. Property taxes were high in order to bring in revenue due to low home prices and a low median income. Neighboring cities that were not class 1 had cheaper property taxes and were more prosperous.

Carrying all that extra crap on the rig was a nuisance like I said previously. Like CaptainOldTimer said, its just extra paint in the end.

MembersZone Subscriber

A neighboring department placed staffing, built a station (metal, "Butler" building) and moved a reserve engine to an area with protection that was 11 miles away. The ISO class went from a 9 to a 5. They got tremendous support from the citizens in that area both politically and financially because the Fire Chief told them they would receive a big decrease in insurance. The savings per year were from $272 to $684 per house.

A neighboring department placed staffing, built a station (metal, "Butler" building) and moved a reserve engine to an area with protection that was 11 miles away. The ISO class went from a 9 to a 5. They got tremendous support from the citizens in that area both politically and financially because the Fire Chief told them they would receive a big decrease in insurance. The savings per year were from $272 to $684 per house.
    But they didn't feel a thing right?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information