Thread: harnesses

Forum Member

Default harnesses

My dept is looking into buying harnesses. What is the most common safty harness in the industry? Also, we do not have rope bags attached to our SCBA's, what kind of personal ropes should we be looking into?
    thanks

Forum Member

High Angle Rescue harnesses or escape harnesses?

I have the Globe Integrated Harness is my running gear.

We have the Born Body Harnesses from Rock N Rescue for high angle and confined space ops. Personally, I love them. Very comfortable and they work extremely well.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Sorry, escape harnesses

Forum Member

I'd have to say the Gemtor harness, but if you are going to be ordering new turnout gear anytime in the near future, I'd also check into the integrated systems. Rope and hardware wise, I'd go with CMC Rescue.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Forum Member

I like the integrated harness in my gear. I hardly notice it. When I do train with it, it does everything I could ask of any harness. I haven't used any other manufacturers harnesses though, so don't count on my statement.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

x2 on the Gemtor. By far the most popular escape harness on the market. If you do opt to go with one, make sure you have your pants modified with either snap or velcro harness tabs to hold the harness in place on your pants. Also, the harnesses come in left hand or right hand closure to match whichever way your bunker pants fly opens. Make sure you get the correct opening.

Built in internal harnesses are nice, but unless you get a custom setup, you will have no place to mount your bail out bag and have it always attached to the harness. So their will be some extra steps nessecary to bail out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    Built in internal harnesses are nice, but unless you get a custom setup, you will have no place to mount your bail out bag and have it always attached to the harness. So their will be some extra steps nessecary to bail out.
    My pockets came set up for it from the factory. All I do it find the anchor and go.

Forum Member

The RIT class 2 harness, in my opinion, is the cream of the crop but they are a little pricey. I have used one on gear in one of the departments I work for and it's really nice.

In my volunteer department I use a gut belt, low priced and is basically a ladder belt that stays on your gear. (more compact than the giant ladder belts, though) Budget wise they're awesome.

Forum Member

We tested the RIT Class II harness (i own one personally as well) and while i do like the way it's made, i don't care for the locking clip that secures the waist belt portion and the two versions they sent us, one with a ladder hook and one with a d-ring, they did not offer one with both. So having your bailout kit pre-rigged was not an option.

MembersZone Subscriber

Philly was initially using the Gemtors and system as decribed by FireFuss. The way the harnesses were rolled out, our ladder guys got them first then the engine crews. The ladder guys got the Gemtors. We recently switched to the CMC Escape Artist system. This is what the engine guys are getting, and the ladder guys will get it as their systems get replaced. The new stufff includes the Escape Artist descender, and the CMC Flash Hook. It doesn't include a bag for the rope. Our left thigh pocket contains the rope; it was modified to get an internal flap which holds the descender, and two small pockets added to hold the hook.

The harness itself is the CMC Lion Class II, Mfd. for Lion Apparel. It is integrated into modified bunker pants.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey, us engine guys could always protect ourselves - 99% of the time, anyway. Put the #@&^%$ fire out, and all your troubles go away, right? Ha.

Yes, all day at "Disney on the Delaware", but only 6 jumps. Guess they figure we're smarter than truckies, so we didn't need to do as many as youse.

How's sunny FL? Had our first white stuff Sat.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Forum Member

I know who both of my parents are- so I am only eligible for assignment to a truck company.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information